1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Condensation Inside Vehicle

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Friendlyx, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Friendlyx

Friendlyx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah the car has a salvaged title, it was obtained by an uncle before he "gave" it to me. That's what i was thinking too, because under the driver seat, i could definitely see soapy water. Do you think the pressure of a normal hose will be enough to see where the water is coming from.

2. Friendlyx

Friendlyx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah the car has a salvaged title, it was obtained by an uncle before he "gave" it to me. I'll be trying to advice of Kenny to see if i can find the weak point.

bisco likes this.
  3. Friendlyx

Friendlyx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'll be trying this tomorrow, i just use normal paper from the printer correct? Do i test it multiple times throughout the panel right? I shouldn't be able to pull it out after i close it?

4. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Hi Friendly,
    Yes, printer/ copier, normal paper will do.
    Yes, multiple times, different spots/areas throughout the panels.
    Yes, you should not be able to remove the paper once the panel is closed.
    Good hunting.

5. Hopopotamus

Hopopotamus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I noticed the same thing on my Gen 2 after getting rear ended. It was at least 2" of water in there. At the time I thought it might be because car was damaged, but now that I think of it, it wasn't raining that much at all and no carpets inside the car were ever wet. Only whole with spare tire in it.

Threej likes this.
  6. kc5dlo

kc5dlo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Get some paper towels and place a strip of them at the bottom of the doors on the inside. Then drive thru the car wash and immediately check the paper towels to see if any are wet. That would show if your doors or which one is giving trouble.

You might be able to remove the bottom of the back seat to see the floor of the car in that area. Any water migrating from the rear of the car would have to pass there and should be visible. I would not like the idea of removing the interior to pull up the carpet to look there. Perhaps you could pay a mechanic to put the car on a lift and remove the bottom panel look for missing or damaged seam sealer or missing/damaged grommets?

7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Salvaged Title?
    Well...then that kind of changes everything, from the perspective that it is now very likely the vehicle at some point was pretty severely damaged and "reconstructed" which means the moisture could be coming from any number of spots, gaps, or not quite correctly repaired areas.
    The OP can still and should still search for the root cause, but with the revelation that this is a "Salvaged Title" vehicle, the scope of what could be the root cause becomes much, much wider.

Does any information about the vehicles history exist? What caused the "Salvaged Title" ? If you could get some idea as to what accident it survived...rear end collision, side swiped, front end damage? It might help focus on areas to look closer at.
    But really now? It's going to take looking at nearly every possibility.

8. Friendlyx

Friendlyx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah! I got a hold of my uncle the person who basically gave me the car and i found the auction of it. He wasn't the original owner so he doesn't know much about it. However the damage looks pretty bad, it's amazing how these cars look before! https://www.copart.com/lot/23220006/ It looks like mostly the front was damaged, maybe the seals in the front doors? What do you think?

9. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My opinion...and it's only opinion, is once a vehicle has suffered a major impact...everything and anything could be slightly off. Since you are experiencing a problem both overall-condensation, and specifically-rear carpet, hopefully you can track down how water is reaching the rear carpet area.
    If enough moisture is entering to cause the carpet to actually be wet, that is also simultaneously enough moisture to probably cause increased condensation as a whole.
    I think all the "hunting" advice given is great. But it still might not be an easy task. You basically have the symptom-moisture and condensation, and about only 1 clue. The rear carpet is getting wet. Hunting back from that one clue is a challenge. Good Luck.

Friendlyx likes this.
  10. Friendlyx

Friendlyx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I don't know how to update everyone, but i'll just post it here. I'm looking for some more help! Basically i got my dad to be inside the car while i grabbed my hoes and put water around the seals of the car. I used the "power wash" setting on my spray nozzle and just did it all over. The rear has no leaks, except for the rear light for some reason if someone could help me figure out how to stop that.

Second, the two front doors have leaks in the same places and i've attached pictures to show where the water comes in. Now, i do park my car always with the front foward and the drive way is going down, so would that cause the wet in the rear?

I also took apart the rear (hatchback not the seats yet) and it looks brand new, there isn't any water or anything that seems off.

So basically, does anyone know how to fix these seals? Should i just buy them brand new? If so, where can i get a good deal? Thanks in advanced!

11. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    One thing may help. Their are air flaps on each side of the car, they are for air to exit after running by the HV Battery. The flaps are located opposite the rear tires. They may be damaged or stuck open.

Friendlyx likes this.
  12. Friendlyx

Friendlyx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah! I saw them when i took off all the rear panels and they look fine (in closed position). Thanks for the advice!

13. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As for your door leak, you may want to adjust the door strikers in slightly. This is most likely going to take car of the leaks at the tops of the doors (see video).
    The tail light assembly is mounted from the inside of the interior trim with nuts that have sealing compound. You’ll have to reseal those.

14. Friendlyx

Friendlyx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    So would i move the striker up a little bit? Thanks for the video!

15. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sometimes the drains for the A/C get plugged up and the water ends up in side on the front floor.
    It also causes the windshield to steam up under the right conditions.

16. Friendlyx

Friendlyx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    How would i check the drain? Thanks in advanced!

17. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I replied with that being a possible issue already, in one ear out the other.

bisco and padroo like this.
  18. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It needs to be moved IN as explained in the video. If the door is not sealing at the top, it’s probably because the door it is not tight up against the seal.

19. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Bingo.

Where was the damage?

Bottom line is if there is moisture in your interior after sitting in the sun you have water inside the car somewhere. Thats bad as there is alot of electronics in the cabin and everything will corrode quite quickly.

AC leak is easy to find. Park in the sun roll up the windows put the ac on max cold and look for ac condensate dripping under the car right behind front passenger wheel about a foot in. Should be dumping alot of water on the ground. If no puddle its leaking onto the floor under the glovebox and then travels under the floor till it gets pooled in the back seat passenger floor compartment as its low there.
    Nasty stuff.

#39 edthefox5, Jan 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    Andyprius1 likes this.
  20. Friendlyx

Friendlyx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Update: I still have the leaks in the doors, i tried putting rope inside one of the weatherseals and it didn't help. However, i bought a strip on ebay on what could be a weatherseal and while it made the door look not set right up to the frame it did stop the water from going inside. At this point i'm going to buy both the inside and outside weather seals from my local Toyota as i'm at a loss. I did try moving the strikers and it didn't seem to help.

I also checked and made sure the AC wasn't leaking and confirmed as the front passenger side isn't leaking.

kc5dlo likes this.