1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Confederate memorial moved to graveyard

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Oct 26, 2020.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: Confederate monument moved from Madison County courthouse grounds

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. (WAFF) - On Friday, Huntsville city workers relocated the confederate monument that stood outside the courthouse to the 200-year-old Maple Hill Cemetery. David Person with the Rosa Parks Day Committee says it’s surreal not seeing the confederate monument at the Madison County courthouse.

“What you’ve been working for, hoping for, something you never knew was going to happen in a timely fashion...you have to process that," Person said.

For years, Person and the Rosa Parks Committee have been advocating for the monument’s removal.
    “It was always a problem to me that we would have a statue attributed to the confederacy on public property," Person said. "Specifically, on public property that is supposed to be the center of legal matters and the adjudication of legal matters for the people of this county.” Person says moving the statue is a great first step.
    . . .

Bob Wilson

hill and kenoarto like this.
  2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Just south of our Nashville home is the town of Franklin. The population was around 900, when one of the larger Civil War battles was fought there, resulting in around 10,000 casualties. In the Town Center, nearly 1¼ centuries ago erected to memorialize - a statue of an unknown Confederate soldier;

[​IMG]

The city is contemplating taking it down. Maybe moving it to a nearby Civil War Cemetery would seem a great idea. After all, you either went to war when you're told, and will likely be killed or maimed for life or you could be shot for refusal, just like desertion. Thinking of Vietnam, not many wanted to go, but there were consequences should you refuse. By the same logic here, do we tear down the Vietnam memorial and statues? Many on the "opposite side", fought for cause believed, & some fought because they were forced to. Statues, like any other art form, evokes different thoughts to individual viewers. Multiple thousand-year-old year old carvings into the side of a mountain were destroyed by the Taliban, as they represented viewpoints different from what their thinking is/was. Watching the destruction on the news, it seemed shocking - unless you get inside the heads of Islamic fundamentalists who take it as an unconscionable effrontery to their beliefs.
    or ......
    Some think of unconscionable effrontery historic artwork as a reminder of what societies should never do again. In the Middle East, archaeologists dig up huge phallic symbols - worship icons representing the beliefs of the cultures, whereby (even) children could be sacrificed to their Gods (history, my favorite subject). Such types of unconscionable artwork .... modernly may represent reminders of how horribly things go wrong - & so we don't forget, or .... modern cultures will destroy them because it represents something horrible.
    Viewpoint expression vs. Suppression.
    Nothing new under the Sun.

#2 hill, Oct 29, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    No problem with memorials to the dead, but many of the confederate statues weren't erected for that, and were done decades after the war.

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The above mentioned monuments are very prominently displayed on central government property. Town squares or county courthouses.

In sharp contrast, the Statue of Lenin in Seattle is privately owned, on private property, in a quirky Fremont neighborhood a few blocks from several other quirky pieces of art. And has been offered for sale for decades, by the heirs of the importer, who had plans to use it in front of a Slovakian ethnic restaurant in a nearby town.

Moving statues from highly prominent public display in town squares or in front of major government buildings, to more modest displays in graveyards or museums or on private property, is vastly different than destroying antiquities such as the Bamyan carvings.

Trollbait and kenoarto like this.
  5. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    And there you have it: a disgusting attempt to try to link BLM to he Taliban and Vietnam vets to Confederate traitors.
    Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The only thing that I find disgusting is the lack of tolerance for polite discourse.

I've seen the monument in question many times and I offer no opinion for its disposition.
    BUT....
    I presume the good people in that city will either move it, or it will be destroyed.
    As always, either action will reflect on the parties involved.

Speaking of 'tolerance'....this thread is almost certainly headed into that which lies beyond the boundaries of this forum, so I think that's where I will leave things for now.

Merkey likes this.
  7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    sorry - but it appears that even benign comments to benign comments can raise the hysteria flag to new heights. So much for discourse and tolerance and hearing the other side ... much less ANY viewpoint that differs. Don't express your opinion or you will be stomped out. Again, nothing new Under the Sun.

Anyway, back to Bob's post 1 - a couple years ago we did the tourist thing in Georgia. They have fully restored iirc the only remaining slave auction house. People of all colors were there ... and yet no one was freaking out in disgust, how such a place couldn't have been torched already. But who knows nowadays. Can't recall who it was that first said (something similar to) those who fail to embrace history are doomed to repeat it.

#7 hill, Oct 30, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My favorite Nashville statue:
    [​IMG]

Source: FACT CHECK: Was Robert E. Lee Opposed to Confederate Monuments?

Was Robert E. Lee Opposed to Confederate Monuments?

On the question of erecting Civil War monuments, the former Confederate general wrote that he thought it wiser "not to keep open the sores of war."
    . . .

I throughly recommend visiting the Vicksburg National Military Park. Everyone struggled in that siege and the park does a great job of sharing the facts and data on the combat.

Bob Wilson

9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was able to tour that Park a year ago this month, and heartily second Bob's recommendation.

While in the region, don't miss the Mississippi Civil Rights Museum in Jackson.
    Mississippi Civil Rights Museum

Raytheeagle likes this.