1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Confessions of a Liar

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by EricGo, Nov 9, 2006.

1. jared2

jared2 New Member

"Their elite do not exploit or tax or lie to the underlings...."

And the food is really much better too.

The French know how to handle elites - remember 1789?
    Every French citizen has access to the best health care in the world with no fear of medical bills. Can you say that about the US?
    Of course there are elites in every country, all of which do exploit the people. It is a matter of degree, and how much exploitation the people will put up with. It is up to the people to demand their fair share of the pie; otherwise they get the crumbs.

2. EricGo

EricGo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Nov 9 2006, 05:24 PM) [snapback]346519[/snapback]</div>
    I'm feeling generous today. Send me your paycheck, and
    I'll shoulder the burden of the sales tax.

You know what ? Sign over your measly five properties, and I'll even pay the prop tax on them, too !

I'm just kidding .. for the most part. I doubt efusco is so lucky, but for the uber-rich in America -- and more so since the shrub came along, taxes are regressive once the tax shelters have come into play.

3. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Nov 9 2006, 02:41 PM) [snapback]346423[/snapback]</div>
    Give the poor SOB a break - he just forgot - or - the dog ate his homework - or Dr Strangelove (Cheney) was in his bunker and forgot to tell him what he was supposed to say. It happens to everyone sometimes.

4. viking31

viking31 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Walker1 @ Nov 9 2006, 04:01 PM) [snapback]346497[/snapback]</div>
    You sound like a very bitter person and perhaps feel you are somehow deserving of an elevated economic status despite your inability to hold down a job. I feel sorry for you and the misery you have to deal with everyday. As an employer, someone with your attitude ("I am superior to you and everyone else and I deserve a promotion now!") would not last two weeks in my business.

And the economy sucks? Please tell me how. Actually I can hardly remember it being better. Unemployment is currently very low. Interest rates too are very low (remember the days of Jimmy Carter??). Stock market is at an all time high. Inflation, what's that?? Too bad you wish for a stock market crash as nearly everyones livelihood is dependent on the stock market (401K plans, retirement plans, etc) either directly or indirectly. And too bad again as there were still plenty of wealthy people even during the Great Depression (you just can't get rid of those pesky, evil rich people...)

And you still can't get a job??? Trust me, it's going to take more than a political party to make you satisfied. Yes, just as you stated that most Americans are STUPID, but strange, your the one in the lower socio economic class without a job...

You need to take stock of your situation and learn to live within you fiscal limits. Don't worry or be jealous of wealthy folks. There is always going to be someone wealthier than you. You could follow the examples of all the celebrities you mentioned above; never quit, work and play well with others, and someday you too will be successful.

Rick
    #4 2006

5. RonH

RonH Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Nov 9 2006, 04:27 PM) [snapback]346521[/snapback]</div>
    Every time I hear this I'm baffled. How good is the health care system if thousands die in a heat wave?

"The new estimate (15,000 dead) comes a day after the French Parliament released a harshly worded report blaming the deaths on a complex health system, widespread failure among agencies and health services to coordinate efforts, and chronically insufficient care for the elderly." ref

Better take a fan when you go.

6. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(viking31 @ Nov 9 2006, 04:54 PM) [snapback]346539[/snapback]</div>
    Unemployment: Admittedly the lowest it's been in awhile, and admittedly much lower than the Reagan/Bush I nightmare years, but still higher than the tail end of the Clinton years.

Interest rates: Admittedly low, then they've been like that long before Junior took office, and they're creeping up.

Stock market: Admittedly higher than it's been in awhile, but still lower than it was during the dot-com boom (at least, Nasdaq and the S&P 500).

Inflation: Admittedly nonexistent, but then it has been long before Junior took office, too.

So it looks like we have a great economy despite Junior, not because of him.

7. viking31

viking31 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Nov 9 2006, 05:11 PM) [snapback]346554[/snapback]</div>
    So for the last 12 years that the Republicans have controlled most aspects of our government, the Democrats were responsible for these numbers? How? Yea, the war has dragged on too long, and that's pure and simple why the Republicans lost this election. But you have to give credit to the skipper of the ship for the present state of our economy.

Now, with Nancy, Chucky, Barney, and even Alcee Hastings's name floated for an important House and Senate positions, you are going to tell me these numbers will continue to rise in a positive manner for the next two years? I doubt it. It's the same story again and again, the economy will turn downward with continual blame on the previous administration. And I'll add in all fairness, the Republicans tout the same song when it happens to them too.

Rick
    #4 2006

8. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(viking31 @ Nov 9 2006, 08:04 PM) [snapback]346653[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not denying that the economy TODAY is too terrible (unless you're in the lower to middle class and have a medical crisis...then you're f$%#ed). As a whole, though, I'm not complaining too badly. Please remember that we had a great economy under Clinton, too, though--but didn't manage to create the tragic future that the country is heading.

Who do you think is gonna pay off our debt? I like to have a little foresight instead of being shortsightedly mired in the here and now. I look at my 3-year old son and wonder, "How's your future gonna be impacted by this administration?" I hate to say that it's not that bright...

9. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Nov 9 2006, 04:24 PM) [snapback]346519[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not for punishing the rich, but a bit more noblesse obliege would, I think, go a long way towards mitigating this perception.

As far as taxes go, I'd suggest that our irresponsible national spending policies (wonder what our credit number would be if the U.S. were a person...prob'ly not that high, I'd suspect) only serve to reinforce irresponsible fiscal behaviour on an individual level.

It would be nice if, instead of the government focusing so much on morality (which is so ethereal) they'd concentrate on managing our finances more effectively (which is easily quantified).

I think living within one's means is, indeed, one of the tenets of a spiritually awake individual...and it is also, like good personal hygiene, a foundation for constructing a more stable life.