1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Confirm Correct Oil

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by twittel, Jan 14, 2011.

1. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had an oil change last week, but am curious how I can confirm that I received 0W/20 synthetic. Of course, I specify the correct oil and it's marked on their workorder, but I've concluded that I have no way to confirm except to trust my source. I do use the same source and try to get to know the people.

I'm bringing this up because I recently read on another car chat forum that someone caught the mechanic not using the synthetic oil he provided. I'm sure that happens more frequently than I care to admit. Sometimes it's not possible to tell what oil was used because either the shop won't let the customer in the back, or the oil comes from an unknown barrel, or it's done in a pit that makes it hard to see.

I have heard that you can put a few drops of oil in the freezer and if it thickens, it's NOT synthetic. I tried it, and it didn't thicken, but who knows if that's true or not.

I sure hate to loose an engine because a shop put in conventional oil instead of synthetic. I guess this reinforces the importance of keeping all maintenance work orders and receipts, especially oil changes.

I suppose this whole oil change validation is as absurd as hoping a plane doesn't fall out of the sky on top of my Prius! lol....

Happy Motoring,

Tom

2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The only way I know is to send an oil sample in and have it tested. A couple of the tests indicate viscosity and you could compare those numbers to some of ours which we know are from 0W20.

If it were me I would wait until the next oil change get a sample and send it in. Most of us use Blackstone Labs they seem to do a good job at a fair price.

If you have documentation indicating that 0W20 was used you are covered as far as the warranty is concerned. As far as your engine goes I don't think it will be damaged by having the wrong oil in it for one oil change cycle.

3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    +1 what Tom said; if they did use 5W-20 (which most likely they did), Toyota says that is OK for a change and then you need to switch back to 0W-20 the next time. So no worries, just make sure it is 0W-20 next time by taking them the oil or asking for the empty bottles if they use their own.

4. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The other alternative is to just wait till you change the oil - and *bring your own*. You will then know exactly what gets put in, can tell them exactly how much you want put in, and can find places with very low charges for oil change...

Edit: Not to knock others who send in their oil - but I see no reason for you to do that. You really are not gaining anything....

5. ace

ace A mini-tank with snow tires

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think there is any way to confirm this, short of sending in a sample and having it tested. You could do that anyway after driving it a bit and see if there are any issues with the engine. If you visit other website forums on engine Oil they send in used samples for lab testing to determine engine issues. Personally, I wouldn't go to that extreme, not that fanatical. [​IMG]

I had the dealer do my first oil change in 2008, they talked me into a 12 point check up, which cost something like $75 on top of the oil change and was stupid for me to agree to that, there is really nothing to check on a 5000 mile 2008 Prius, brakes were good, tires were good, etc.

I supplied the Dealer with my own new 5 quart jug of 5W-30 Mobile 1 synthetic oil. I specifically told them to put the extra quart in the trunk. The extra quart was not in the trunk when I got home [​IMG] so I thought the same thing, did they use the synthetic oil I supplied, or not? I did go get my quart back, but it took them a week to find it and call me back.

Ever since that first oil change I have been changing my own oil. The 2008 Prius is the easiest car I have ever owned for changing oil. I enjoy changing it myself. I hand tighten the oil filter (I learned the hard way not to use an oil filter tool or you can't get the filter off the next time) a 14mm socket and socket wrench, plus a good funnel and a nice used oil pan. That is all you need. I park it with passenger side up on the curb so the passenger side is higher and I can reach the oil plug and oil filter without a jack. When I pour the oil in I test it the level, and then add, then test, etc. and stop just before it gets to the full line. Then check it after driving it a day or two and then add if it needs it, usually it doesn't need any. Dealers and oil change facilities often times will overfill the oil which is hard on the engine. Takes me less time to change my own oil than to take it to the dealer. I can change the oil in 15-20 min if I hurry, but usually take 25-30 minutes and do it right. Log the oil change info in the back of the owners manual so you have it in case of warranty issues. I also keep all my oil and filter receipts in the manual. [​IMG]

6. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    When my dealers used 5w30 instead of 0w20 I found the car to be quieter on startup on 5w30 whereas it seems a little harsher on 0w20. Also on 5w30 I found the car to be a little hesitant and it would 'stumble' when the engine fired up when in traffic. The performance in Power mode was also reduced, esp higher up the rev range. Finally my mpg's went down about 5 mpg.

7. s1njin

s1njin New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Are you guys saying that taking it to the Toyota dealer will not guarentee its done right? What the heck is the point in bringing it to the dealer if they can't get a oil change right?

My assumption is they will use what's right !!!! I shouldn't have to stress out about a oil change when its done by the dealer. Jiffy Lube, maybe. Not my Toyota dealer. I'd be lighting up the 800 number with the quickness if they pooched it !

8. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Unfortunately, the world is what it is, not what you think it should be.:eek:
    Other than the amount of oil, just how do you plan to determine if they have done the job correctly?

9. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The OP didn't say he went to the dealer for the oil change, so I assume he had it done elsewhere, unless some clarification is provided. When it's time for my first service, I'm going to the dealer - why not, it's free! Plus I don't have the hassle of documenting my service if a warranty issue comes up later.

10. s1njin

s1njin New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Show me the empty quarts or hose that says 0w20 !

11. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's not a bad approach. I don't think 0W-20 comes out of a hose yet so that gives you an opportunity to not have your engine overfilled. Tell them to put 4 quarts in the engine and give you the entire 5th quart in a bottle. That way you can top the oil off without overfilling it when you get home.

It's real common for engines that take fractional quarts to get filled to the next whole quart.

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The only definitive way I can think of to avoid wrong grade being put in is to do it yourself.

13. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What do you do with the old oil and filter? Do the oil change shops charge to drop off used oil?

Happy Motoring,

Tom

14. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Tom,
    Up here at our landfill (pretty close to my house) they have a container for motor oil that they recycle for free. Also some of the auto-parts stores take used oil for free.

The filter element is just paper and can be thrown away.

15. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Tom,

What spiderman said, plus I know around here Advance Auto and Auto Zone take your used oil for free. They have the oil recycled.

Dwight

16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    In Canada Canadian Tire (appropriate) will take used oil, old oil filters, and emptied oil bottles.

17. jerryj38

jerryj38 New Member

Does anyone manufacture a 0-20 synthetic other than the toyota product? Is anyone using a different synthetic?

18. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes there is a pretty good selection. I think most of us on this site use Mobil 1 0W20. Amsoil, Valvoline, Enoes, and several others also have a 0W20 synthetic.

I have bought Mobil 1 at WalMart $6.27/quart and NAPA had it on sale for $5.00/quart last time I changed oil.

19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Pennzoil's 0W20 is readily available in our area, typically over $9Can per US quart. Honda dealership part's departments offer a Honda 0W20 (apparently non-synth), for around $8.50Can.

If I elect to do my own oil changes, I think I'd opt for Toyota's oil, just so I can get a single receipt showing oil, oil filter and drain plug washer. I know it's not proof positive you've done things properly, but it would help I think.

20. Michaelk

Michaelk New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Re: Would you change the 05 20W in the Prius?l

Hope you do not mind me asking a question in your thread.

I had the oil changed and they used 0520W synthetic oil as opposed to the 0W 20 I desired. Would you run the 05W 20 for 5,000 and change to 0W 20 or spend the bucks and change it now? Hate to just throw almost $60.00 away. After that I will do 0W 20 on 10,000 i think? Does it hurt to change brands as most use Mobil yet many in our area do not carry it. What is your second choice?

I also asked my small town dealer in WEst Texas on the mileage change. He did not hesitate to recommended 5,000 miles.

Thank for your assistance
    Michael