1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Confirmed 2005 HV Battery replacement New York

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jules C, Apr 5, 2022.

1. Jules C

Jules C Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi All,

Thanks so much to this incredible community! I am new, know of the legend of Priuschat.

I have a 2005 Prius (147k) that I took to Toyota to confirm that I do indeed need a replacement HV battery.
    Here’s what I know I can do:
    1)Remove and rebalance and refurb the battery myself
    2)Buy a battery on eBay
    3)Potentially drive 1-2hrs and a company for for $1500 will replace it for me, I don’t know if I get my battery back.

I’m looking to sell this Prius and get a gen 3, so in theory I’m not looking for the best solution but one that’s “cheap”. I don’t feel like I should have to sell the car with a 1 year power half assed battery to someone else.

Here are my confusions/questions:
    1)Where should I source a hv battery and is there anything I can ask or verify as to what work they did or the vitality of that battery? (I know there are half a$$ quick fix things you can do to refurb the battery and there’s a more complete balanced and replaced modules battery refurb)

2)Any help or suggestions as to where I could get or have the entire hv battery swap in New York/The north east?

3)Has anyone ever used a mechanic solely to swap the HV battery for you and you sourced the battery itself?

4)Anything else I might want to know, try, do to simply take this 2005 Prius into a clean legal sale?
    5)Any tips or advice on buying a gen 3 Prius in NY/North East? I know auctions exist, but I also know there are a lot of elderly ppl near me who can’t all be taking a used Prius to the grave (no disrespect). It seems like I’d be a great buyer of a Prius from someone who no longer needs it, no clue how to find those ppl.

Thanks so much, if I left anything out just let me know. I literally have been trying to upgrade my Prius and last week out of the blue red light of death came to me… The sweet release of death… :)

2. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A few thoughts.
    How much do you expect to get for the Prius with and without a working battery?

The new owner may want to replace or repair the battery himself or herself or whateverself.

I’d much rather buy a car without the prior owner fixing it and then expecting me to cover their fixing cost especially if the prior owners time horizon or finances are different than mine. The new owner may want to spend more money on a better battery that’s you would want to spend.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    beware gen 3 major issues, due diligence!

strawbrad likes this.
  4. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Exactly
    Gen3 early ones had oil consumption issues. How would you know before buying it?

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no way i know of, you just need to understand that there are sharks before you jump in

6. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Risky to buy a used car? Hmmmm. That’s interesting.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    apparently, you don't read gen 3 posts?

8. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    No, I don’t but I read enough to know not to buy a Gen3 at least early ones especially with supply shortages these days.

bisco likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    exactly