1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CONFIRMED: OBDII Toyota Code Reader under $40 on eBay

Discussion in 'Prius OBDII Third-Party Apps' started by Prius4645686, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Prius4645686

Prius4645686 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I ordered a Mini-VCI Techstream cable on eBay and can confirm that it works with the Techstream software on a 2001 Prius.

However, this should be compatible with all Prius' with the J2534 connector (Standard OBDII 16-pin connector).

Using the cable I was able to connect to all 7 ECUs and read 3 digit information codes.

Using my generic OBDII cable I could only connect to 3 ECUs (2 engine, 1 hybrid) and could not read info codes.

You should be able to reprogram the immobilizer with this cable, but you won't be able to without knowing/calculating security codes. (You will probably find it too expensive to buy a computer program to do the same, or impossible to find online.) So don't count on this capability.

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for the information! I see $29.99 with free shipping but they are coming from China.

As I see, one end connects to the car OBDII port and the other end to the computer USB port.

3. kf4eok

kf4eok Daniel Lewis DIY Guy 2003 & 2010 Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    who was the seller? I see many Mini-vci cables on e-bay which one did you get?
    I have bought this one MVCI Toyota Lexus Scion TIS Techstream V7.10.030 OE Diagnostic Interface | eBay but it will not work on my 2003 Prius but will work on my 2010

4. Tantousha

Tantousha Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Do these $40 cables include the software by any chance? Or how to I get my hands on the software? Total newb to all of this..

5. sbddude

sbddude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Any answer about the software? Can I use a cable like this to turn off the reverse beep?

6. ruggb

ruggb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    did u get the answer to the reverse beep...if not this may help
    can't give proper credit as I don't remember where I found it.
    Prius Beeper disable
    To eliminate the beeps from seatbelts and reverse, follow these steps:
    1. Power on the car to IG-ON or READY. IG-ON will do for this purpose.​
    2. Using the Trip/ODO button, set the Trip/ODO display to ODO (not Trip A or Trip B)​
    3. Power off the car.​
    4. Now power the car to READY (brake on). This is required so that step 6 works correctly.​
    5. Within 6 seconds of powering on, press and hold the Trip/ODO button for 10 seconds or more (there is no indication... just count)​
    6. WHILE STILL HOLDING ODO *after* the 10 seconds, shift the "gear" selector to R, then press the P button. Now release the Trip/ODO button.​
    7. If the last step was successful, "b on" or "b off" should be displayed in the location where the Trip Odometer or Odometer is normally displayed (front dash area). "b on" is beep on (default), and "b off" is beep off.​
    8. Press Trip/ODO to toggle the mode.​
    9. Now power the car off to exit the toggle mode.​
    10. Power the car on to READY and confirm the reverse beep status by shifting to R. The beep should not be audible if "b off" was selected, and should be audible if "b on" was selected..​
    Note: The Repair manual page states that if the the 12v battery is disconnected, the beep will reset to the default of on, and this procedure will need to be performed again - I have confirmed this to be true!. The repair manual also is not clear that Trip/ODO should remain depressed while shifting.​
    Additional Note: The driver and passenger seatbelt reminder chime can be disabled or enabled (respectively, defaults are driver on and passenger off) using similar steps. Instead of shifting from P to R to P in step 6, simply buckle then unbuckle the appropriate seatbelt while continuing to depress the Trip/ODO button. Might want a helper for this one!​

7. Chodronish

Chodronish Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    This didn't work for me.