1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Confirmed: Plug-in Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jayselle, Jul 26, 2007.

1. jayselle

jayselle Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    V
    http://www.batteryvehiclesociety.org.uk/wo...?p=216&sid=

"Yes, that’s right. Toyota, the firm which we all thought would never actually do it - have finally launched a press release and video of their Plug In Prius, the first commercial Plug-In-hybrid for Japanese roads."

Toyota Press Release:

http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/news/07/0725.html

"Tokyo — TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION (TMC) announced today that it has developed a plug-in hybrid vehicle and become the first manufacturer to have such a vehicle certified for use on public roads in Japan."

2. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayselle @ Jul 26 2007, 09:34 AM) [snapback]485358[/snapback]</div>
    I know you all are excited that about a plug-in Prius prototype being certified for use on public roads in Japan. But that doesn't mean that they will be publicly availble any time soon. As a point of reference, Honda got their hydrogen fuel cell car certified for Japan's roads back in 2004.

In order for a car manufacturer to road test their prototypes on Japan's roads, they have to get them certified. It doesn't mean that mass production of the vehicle is imminient.

It may well be that Toyota will be selling a plugin in 2010. But this article doesn't really support it. The excitement that it has generated (and the number of threads) is out of proportion to the significance of the announcement.

3. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayselle @ Jul 26 2007, 09:34 AM) [snapback]485358[/snapback]</div>
    I'm confused.

This seems to be an EV mode Prius with a plug-in capability and a bigger battery.

I wonder if they have sorted the battery issues or the charge/discharge needs to be as carefully controlled as with the current Prius. Which would allow people to run the new battery up and down.

I also wonder if the new battery has more of a role than the main engine in the plug-in version when the EV is not engaged.

4. jayselle

jayselle Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Apparently it can run about 10 miles in EV mode with a full charge that takes about 2 hours to "fill".

I know it's only in Japan but that's one step closer to being in the US. I think this vehicle is much more likely to show up than a hydrogen vehicle.

5. andygralla

andygralla New Member

The good news is Toyota is demonstrating that a plug-in can be built as a low-risk, evolutionary step for the Prius. This is in stark contrast to the Chevy Volt, which requires a great leap forward in battery technology and who knows what in terms of infrastructure to ramp up production!

6. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Jul 26 2007, 09:53 AM) [snapback]485368[/snapback]</div>
    I disagree. This is the first time we've seen something tangible in this arena from one of the major car companies. We've read a lot of hype about the Volt, but haven't seen anything except for press releases. In this case there's an actual product as opposed to a prototype on a stage at an auto show. Yes, it still qualifies as a prototype, but it's actually being road tested. And, as has been shown in other threads, there's a video of it in action.

Given the technology that they're using in it, it may be closer to mass production than we think.

Plus they'll be in good position to be ready when the next generation of battery technology is available.

7. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayselle @ Jul 26 2007, 11:39 PM) [snapback]485396[/snapback]</div>
    Toyota already selected the target places in the US...
    http://pressroom.toyota.com/Releases/View?...YT2007072552930

Ken@Japan

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(andygralla @ Jul 26 2007, 08:33 AM) [snapback]485435[/snapback]</div>
    iow, Toyota is doing it the sensible way and chevy is not??

wow that is news...

there is a reason why i alway capitalize Toyota and never the other car companies...

9. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...BAGJPR75VB1.DTL

Toyota took a big step Wednesday toward marketing plug-in hybrid cars -- vehicles that run mostly on rechargeable batteries and can go 100 miles on a gallon of gas -- when it announced it would provide two specially made Prii to the University of California for testing on U.S. roads.

10. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Jul 26 2007, 11:45 AM) [snapback]485442[/snapback]</div>
    As I mentioned in my post, Honda got their fuel cell FCX certified for Japan's roads 3 years ago. It didn't mean that mass production of the FCX was imminent. I don't doubt that Toyota is working on a plugin Prius. I don't doubt that it will enter production sometime in the near future (2010 at the earliest). I just don't believe that getting road certification in Japan for the prototype is as significant an event as you guys seem to think.

11. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    I'm still wondering what will come 1st, the electrical outlet I'm currently staring at in my garage (they're EVERYWHERE, really) Or the local hydrogen fueling station.

Hmmm, any bets here?

12. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Jul 26 2007, 01:45 PM) [snapback]485557[/snapback]</div>
    A comparison to fuel cell vehicles isn't apples-to-apples. For fuel cell vehicles to be made available to the general public, there needs to be certain infrastructure in place. Even if Honda could start mass-producing fuel cell vehicles tomorrow, there's no consumer market because there's no way for them to be refueled.

A plug-in hybrid, on the other hand, has no such limitations. Once Toyota works out whatever bugs may be in the system, there's no reason they couldn't start mass producing them. Especially since what they're showing is a relatively small step forward from what we're driving today.

I'll freely admit I have no idea how long it will take Toyota to have these ready for the general public. But they're a hell of a lot closer than anyone else we've seen. Obviously they're not going to be available for the 2008 MY. I don't think it's inconceivable that they could fast-track it for the 2009 MY, but your estimate of 2010 is probably closer.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(finman @ Jul 26 2007, 01:56 PM) [snapback]485562[/snapback]</div>
    You have a computer in your garage? :D

13. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Jul 26 2007, 11:10 AM) [snapback]485573[/snapback]</div>
    I do!

OK, I give up. Looks like we're going to have unlimited, fragmented threads on this subject. If you'd like to continue on the biggest one (combined from three others), please go here:
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=36471&hl=

14. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Bet on the plug. The plug already exists. While hydrogen is renewable (made from splitting water), the fossil fuel buffalos haven't quite figured out how to control water as they have controlled oil. The plug is being reinforced by photovoltaics at schools, homes, churches and businesses. Peak oil is being reinforced by having a finite supply and India and China increasing their demand. Bet on the plug.

15. EricGo

EricGo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(finman @ Jul 26 2007, 01:56 PM) [snapback]485562[/snapback]</div>
    LOL. So true.

It's hard to fathom why Honda is throwing money at the hydrogen car. Do they expect to market it in places where no electrical grid exists ??