1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Confused about recent pricing trends

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by Teacake, May 10, 2013.

1. Teacake

Teacake OohShiny

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello, all! I've been tracking prices on Prius liftbacks and Prius Cs in my area (Ohio Valley - KY) for a few months now. I'm confused about Toyota's pricing strategy and curious if anyone has any insight.

Fact: the market in my area is now saturated (for reasons previously discussed in other posts) with Gen III Prii that have come off leases from when lease pricing was so competitive in 2010.

Why then is Toyota continuing to have great special financing offers? My area is now down to $199/mo lease prices or 0% financing up to 60 months. I would think they would want to not saturate the market even more?

And while I understand the C's have lower prices and are selling well, they have no special financing offers whatsoever. Wouldn't they want to promote one of their newest hybrid models?

Edit - nor are there any offers now (at least for the models I've been looking at) to get rid of 2012 model year vehicles. And I've seen a LOT of 2012 vehicles on online inventories.

Thanks in advance!

2. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I noticed that in last few months,. Toyota has further improved their interest rates.. further more, I even heard about $1k rebates.. and on top of that, they are sellingr them cheaper based on recent deals I read PC members got.. Clearly there more wiggle room to lower their prices.. wonder if it's related to gas prices holding fast as of late.. been under $4/gallon since I bought mine.

3. Teacake

Teacake OohShiny

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's a good point.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i've always wondered where all the cars coming off leases go. as far as promotions, i can only think they promote the vehicles that aren't selling as well as they would like.

5. Jamesb93612

Jamesb93612 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I remember hearing from a friend of mine, that a lot of them go to auction once turned in. I am sure that this is the case for certain high milage or less that perfect condition cars. He said that the better ones would stay and be sold at the dealership.

iPad ? HD

6. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thinking about my College Eco I Class on Price Elasticity.

Price elasticity of demand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just a guess that if the Prius is not selling well in your market that Toyota will continue to keep prices low and incentives high to increase number of units sold.

If inventory continues to build expect more discounts from the Dealer

7. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks, i wonder if anyone keeps track of used car sales like new cars sold? i assume new car sales numbers include leases?