1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Confused about traffic display

Discussion in 'Prime Audio, Electronics, and Infotainment' started by Basildane, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Basildane

Basildane Junior Member

I got a new Prime. I went to transfer my XM subscription (includes traffic) to the new Prime. XM said no, you can't do that. The Prime does not support XM traffic.

I went to Sirius XM's website and sure enough, there is no option for the 2017 Toyota Prime at all. So they removed my traffic subscription.

However, I am still on the 90 day trial period and traffic is working perfectly. So I am totally confused.

I tried disabling my iPhone to verify it is getting traffic over the sat, and it is. The question is, how do I keep getting traffic after the 90 days? I need it because I drive in the worst traffic in the USA every day.

2. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Unlike earlier models, the Prime does not use SiriusXM for traffic data. It uses the free HD radio data, which is a digital service carried over FM broadcast stations. Some (all?) Prime trim levels have Sirius XM radio, and you need to renew that (and pay for it) in your own name if you wish to continue to receive that. But you don't have to renew anything to continue to get the traffic data. I had SiriusXM traffic when I had the first generation Plug-In, but I cancelled that when when I traded the PiP for a Prime.

3. Basildane

Basildane Junior Member

Thanks, that is totally awesome.

4. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    It is. Mostly.

The small problem IS that for it to work, you must be in range of an FM station that broadcasts that information.
    They are present in most major cities.

But you don't have to get too far out in the boonies before it won't work.
    And you have to go in and ask for traffic data to SEE if it is working or not.

It is nice but don't count on it too much.

5. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Where are you located? Some may want to claim their city as having the worst traffic. Reminds me of the bar scene in No Time for Sergeants :

IRVIN. And sergeants . . . we got the roughest, toughest, meanest sergeants in the whole service.
    SOLDIER. Go on, you don't know what a tough sergeant is till you've been in the infantry
    IRVIN. Ain't nobody tougher than my sergeant. He's tough!
    KING. I sure am! I'm a louse, ain't I, Irvin?
    IRVIN. Yes, sir, you are.
    KING. Thanks, Irvin
    SOLDIER. I don't know, you look like a pretty decent Joe to me.
    KING. (Rises) You take that back!

6. alexcue

alexcue Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The manual says that it will use the HD Radio and/or the Entune app for traffic. My 2014 Prius would just use the app, and it wasn't that bad. I just don't think it refreshes as soon as the HD signal. One caveat is you have to have the Entune app running at all times in the background, but in my case it always seems to launch automatically when I'm in the car.

There's also a setting for preferences about which one to use.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's correct (I no longer receive XMNavTraffic on my 2010 either and cannot subscribe to that feature). Toyota moved to HD Traffic (sent over FM). I think you need Entune for that (cause our 2016 Prius has HD radio but no HD traffic. The only difference between our units and yours [US] is the lack of Entune).

8. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I think all you need is a properly equipped radio/GPS.
    Phone features have nothing to do with it.