1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Confused by 2014 EGR part numbers

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by icyrius, Mar 14, 2021.

1. icyrius

icyrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Hello,
    I decided to clean my son’s 2014 Prius with 129K miles. Due to his tight car schedule, I purchased a used EGR unit (valve/cooler assembly) from EBay to clean and swap units once his car was available for maintenance. The cleaning of Ebay’s EGR unit is a whole different beast for another thread.
    Here is the issue, I finally get a chance to work on my son’s 2014 Gen 3 Prius and when I am about to do the swap, I noticed his 2014 had different EGR part numbers.
    This is the valve from EBay
    C4408F3F-BA3F-4B5E-A5C0-4FDC5CB08991.jpeg

And this the 2014’s valve
    7DF473AF-F921-4DF0-BD43-850D343C99AE.jpeg

Same happens with the EGR cooler. This is EBay’s
    829D478A-59D6-444B-B007-2D606C29AECB.jpeg

And this is the 2014’s
    67E97A84-2FE2-4516-8227-D98D9FC8BEA3.jpeg

The 2014 includes an additional seal between the valve and the cooler radiator. Other than that, I could not tell their difference. I did not want to risk it and did not install the EBay unit. I am in the process of cleaning the 2014 and reinstalling it.

I thought these EGR units did not change until 2015. Would it be safe to use EBay’s Prius 2011 model?

Thanks

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I believe there was a revision, maybe 2012 model year? Someone mentioned recently a software update might be necessary with the revised parts, though I’m not sure if thats verified.

3. wheezyglider

wheezyglider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five

We know that the -37120 part is an update over the -37110. It's a direct replacement. So the older version can likewise be made to work. Except Toyota's instructions (in Technical Service Bulletin T-SB-0027-16) for upgrading *from* the old version includes installing an updated "calibration profile" through software. How much difference that actually makes is unknown. There aren't equivalent "official" instructions for going back to the older revision.

I seriously doubt the old version could damage your son's car, my guess is at worst there's a chance it might run rough in spots if that calibration profile thing matters. (It would be interesting to find out.) You could give it a shot and just see if it runs well. It's not going to explode...

But since Toyota revised the valve for a reason, and the valves are known to be problematic (Toyota specifically extended the warranty on the EGR valve I believe), my own bias would be to stick with the newer revision if at all practical. (But in my own 2010 I'll keep using the old valve unless I actually need to replace it.)

Also: while it has a fair chance of being just fine and I'd love to have you run the experiment for us -- if the car was running rough *before* you started, then it would be harder to sort out the eBay valve's contribution if there's rough running after you swap the valve. (It's an unhelpful wildcard in that case.)

Either way - do make sure you have all the right gaskets -- you can use Toyota's website to look up the valve, diagram shows the gaskets. (Or search Mendel's posts!) If you decide to go with the eBay valve, let us know how that turns out.

On the cooler - not sure what the "-B" version on the "client" (aka Toyota) part number means, but the Maruyasu part number is identical for both? If it's clean and it fits, I'd just go with it... Good luck!