1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Confused re: Headlamp Type

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Banshee, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Banshee

Banshee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I've been a member for a while and have greatly appreciated all the help I've received here just by searching stuff and reading existing posts. How embarrassing this is gonna be for my first post...

This morning while attempting to help a friend with their 2005 Prius issues, I started thinking about some of the existing ones on my 2007 - one of which is the driver's side headlamp flickering off and on and making a funky noise when turned on. I fell down the rabbit hole of halogen vs HID and read in several places that if you have fog lamps, you have HIDs - which:
    1.) I've owned this car for 4 years and never realized I had fog lamps and
    2.) threw me for a loop because the last time I replaced the headlamps, I put halogen bulbs in and I started to freak out.

Then I was updating my account details before posting my confusion and wasn't sure if my Prius was a Base or Touring model, so I did a VIN check - Toyota telling me that mine is a Package #6 Standard (I'm assuming that means "Base") but also says I have halogen bulbs...

So, yeah, I'm super confused now. The VIN says it has halogen bulbs (and the bulbs fit when I replaced them) but I also have fog lamps???

Can anyone help me with my confusion? Thanks! Oh, and howdy, finally.