1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Confusing Tyres, and wear

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Sam Dean, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The front driver side (right side) tyre seems to be more worn out on the outter side, but having carried out measurements between the front two tyres, i found that they are actually pointing outwards (by just under 1 cm) - therefore there should be uneven wear on the inner, not outter tyre tread.

The chassis on this car has been bent and not fully straightened, shortening the distance between the front and back tyre on the right side by approximately 1.5cm. The left side (passenger side) seems okay.

The majority of the tyres are showing the tread indicators but there is still some tread available and so I don't see an urgent need to change anything right now.

What PSI should I have each tyre set on? I think I currently have the fronts on 38 PSI and the rears on 35 PSI

I have taken some notes from the tyres that are on the car currently and so any advice on the best way forward would be much appreciated:

Front Right Tyre:

Brand: Michellin
    DOT FU1K 004X 3409

195/55 R16 91T

max load: 1356LBS
    max press: 340kph (50 PSI)

Front Left Tyre:

Brand: Sunny

DOT HC1K S1

195/55 R16

max load: 1201LBS
    max press: 300kph (44 PSI)

Rear Left Tyre:

Brand: Michellin

DOT HC1K S1

195/55 R16 87V

max press: 51 PSI

Rear Right Tyre:

Brand: Continental

195/55 R16 87V

max press: 51 PSI

2. Joe 26

Joe 26 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Tire wear due to toe issues (toe is the difference in measurement between the fronts of the tires and backs of the tires) will show up on both tires. Most likely you have an issue with too much positive camber on the right front (the top of the tire tilting out). This would need to be measured at an alignment shop.

As to your tire pressure, I run 38/36 in my Gen II. There are others who will recommend 42/40, but the ride was too harsh for my personal taste.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What are the legal requirements in your area regarding tire tread depth? In the US minimum legal tread depth is 2/32" which is where the tread wear indicators appear.

If you experience any summer rains then I would encourage you to replace the tires now.

I personally use 44/42 psi for the front/rear tires.

4. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sam can you tell me is there any other wording after "Michelin" such as "Energy saver" or any thing else on the two Michelin tyres.
    The "Sunny" tyre is a cheap budget tyre, not a dangerous tyre but certainly not matched to the grip ability of the Michelin's. It is also not a low rolling resistance tyre (LRR) a requirement on the Prius for the best fuel economy.

The "Continental" tyre I am guessing is an "Eco +", "Premium contact" or "ProContact 2" can you give any more information on this.

Last but not leased can you give some indication of tread left on each tyre. Perhaps pictures of the treads.
    Thanks.

John (Britprius)

5. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks John - I'll get this info over as soon as I can

Just about to send you an email on an electrical question - 2 ticks

6. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member