1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Congrats to the President

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by efusco, Nov 3, 2004.

1. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    As I recall a red/blue map from the 2000 election that was divided by county rather than by state was almost solid red with tiny bits of blue in the largest population counties. Even most of New York, Florida, and California were red.

2. VARedDevil

VARedDevil New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You don't have to respect the man, but you have to respect the office. I don't think there is anyone here that could do that job...I'm not defending all the things Bush has done, because I don't agree with everything he's done. However, your vision of gloom and doom because Bush is President is unfounded. First off, this country is too diverse, too strong to ever spiral down. (But then again, I suppose that if what happens isn't everything you agree with, that would be considered a downward spiral.) I don't think Bush will see this as a mandate, even Sen. Frist said that this is clearly not a mandate, but a majority.

3. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

Congrats indeed! :)
    I am optimistic that the next four years will bring positive change. It's not the end of the world, but the road ahead is long & arduous. I can only hope for the best.

4. rflagg

rflagg Member

"This country is too diverse, too strong to ever spiral down"

Uh, sorry to burst your bubble, but no country is too strong or diverse to never spiral down.

Today I am no longer an American, and for that I am very proud! It may take a few years to get to my destination, but I am proud to call myself free from this country. At least where I am going their religion doesn't dictate my free will to marry someone I love.

-m.

5. VARedDevil

VARedDevil New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Good luck in your travels and I hope you find happiness in where ever you go. But remember, until you renounce your citizenship and become a citizen of another country, you are still an American, whether you like it or not. And this country does not have a "their" religion. This is a diverse society of many religious beliefs, we don't like in a Theocracy, which is what a country with "their" religion would be. And I respectfully disagree with you, this country is too strong and has proven it time and time again. And you are exressing one of the greatess things this country gives you, freedom of choice, by choosing to leave this country. Remember, the "grass is always greener on the other side of the hill". Just because someone disagrees with you and your beliefs, does not make them wrong.

6. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hopefully you can drive your Prius there. And if it happens to be a certain country north of here, stop by on your way through. I'll buy you lunch. :)

7. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Pride cometh before a fall :) This country has no lock on "we'll be great forever" thinking. Nor has it been around anywhere near as long as other past great civilizations before they fell. Have we found solutions to difficult problems? Yes. Have we stood strong in the face of attack? Yes. But I think we need to map out a long term plan to become good global, political and environmental citizens or we too will fall. I do not believe that our current track is going that way.

8. pjo1966

pjo1966 New Member

I truly hope my concerns are unfounded:

1. The President no longer has to worry about re-election, nor will his VP run. He can do whatever he wants, backed by the House and Senate.

2. If the draft returns, and it is indeed gender-neutral as has been discussed, I fear for my 3 nieces and 1 nephew who will reach draft age within the next 4 years.

3. Roe vs. Wade goes away after Bush appoints a couple more Justices, sending girls in trouble to less than safe environments for illegal abortions.

4. Homosexuality is a sin in Bush's religion, and that's the only one that matters anyway. I'm afraid that my right to live my life as I see fit will no longer exist.

I am afraid. I hope I'm wrong and that I'm overreacting, but I honestly don't think so.

9. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Most poeple think about a Lame-Duck President as one from November until February. Not this one, we have four years of lame duck presidency backed by a "mandate" from the people and an apperant annointing from God himself.

10. VARedDevil

VARedDevil New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    This is "sour grape" talking... Bush can't unilaterally enact laws. It still has to pass through Congress. Even though there is a Repub controlled Congress, that doesn't automatically mean everything Bush wants will be approved. Following strict party lines is no longer the case in Congress.

11. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm not saying that he is going to rewrite the constitution and have all gays deported. I just meant that he no longer has to worry about polls and ratings. He can vacation even more than he did last term.

For the record, I said pretty much the exact same thing eight years ago when Clinton got re-elected. I know it's not a popular thing to say around these parts, but I didn't care for him either. I rued the day his second term started.

12. TheMaskedMan

TheMaskedMan New Member

Re: Genuine Congrats to the President

[font=Comic Sans MS:2f52062908] This American wants to go on record as being very pleased with the results. I strongly support President of the United States George W. Bush.
    Had Kerry won, I would have wished him the best and hoped the best for our country.
    Of course, it's wonderful that all of us are free to voice our opinions and question the actions of any of our elected officials.
    [font=Courier New:2f52062908] We live in a democracy. Majority rules. That even means that a slim majority rules.
    Of course we can still agree to disagree! Best wishes to everyone on PriusChat!

13. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    Prediction: This will be the downfall of this country. Fear is not a way run a country. What the @#$%! are people thinking. I'm embarrassed to be an American. Do you really believe the hype out there? C'mon. And the sad part is...no, I better not say.

14. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

"a hybrid donkey"

:lol: :lol:

The downfall of this country? Oh please! Get a grip.

15. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Re: Genuine Congrats to the President

His donkey is probably fueled by vegetation and produces methane. :)

As much as I would be quite happy for OBL and his followers to drop dead this instant, he makes a point I have agreed with for many years. Our foreign policy, especially with regard to the middle east and the Palestinian - Israeli conflict has always been extremely one sided. U.N. resolutions against Israel's actions are met with, at best, an abstained vote, frequently with a veto. Sometimes we go so far as to get really firm and say "gee, bro, we kinda wish y'all hadn't done / wouldn't do that". It is so bad, that I think the veto power needs to be changed - not 1 permanent member but 3.

I find it amazingly two faced to say "We have to invade Iraq because Hussein is not complying with U.N. resolution such and such" but ignore the fact that Israel has been in violation of U.N. "get out of the occupied territories" orders for 35 years.

I am not a Palestinian, Israeli, Muslim nor Jew, I have no personal stake in either their political or religious arguements which have gone on for hundreds upon hundreds of years.

OBL did not start his campaign against the U.S. when Bush took office in 2000, it goes back a lot farther. And I don't think OBL hoped Kerry would win because he is afraid of Bush and expected Kerry to be a wuss. Rather, I think (because I don't know ;-) ) that OBL figures Kerry would be more likely than Bush to give the Palestinians a thought (other than PITA) when drafting a mid-east policy.

16. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Just what would a hybrid donkey run on? Oats and water?

During the Clinton administration, as I stated above, I was equally as disgruntled. And I was attending a rather liberal university at the time. All the same, in my own little retaliation to Clinton, I listened to Rush Limbaugh quite a bit as I walked to and from classes. Every day Rush predicted the collapse of America, the downfall of all things decent, and the end of the world as we knew it. Same arguement, new sides.

17. pshady

pshady New Member

I paid $2.41 for 87 octane last night in SoCal.

I think the Democrats are now severely demoralized, as this was their most united effort in a long time. After they've "given it their all," and still lost, I see the party fracturing. Tom Daschle losing was insult on top of injury.

I'm a Democrat btw, so today's not a good day for me.

18. VARedDevil

VARedDevil New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Prediction: The country will still be here not only 4 years from now, but 40 years, possibly 400 years from now. No way is this going to kill the country...if a president could do that...this country would have sunk under Jimmy Carter....but it survived then just like it will survive now and in the future. Like everyone has wanted, the people have spoken, now you either work with it, or leave...that's about your choices. You don't have to change your beliefs or views...but to say that this is going to be the downfall of this country? Talk about running on fear....

19. rflagg

rflagg Member

Thanks for the good luck, VARedDevil! I will need it, it's going to take a lot of time and money to do what I'm doing - but again, those who came over from Europe at the turn of the century also had a freedom to leave their respected countries and find a better life, just as I do today. That is no great thing that America only holds dear, but it certainly is something I will enjoy as I won't have to risk my life to leave here, I will say that much!

This country is a theocracy - the religious right controls every single section of the government, right now. Eleven states banned something already illegal, because it's a sin, not because any provable harm comes of it. Stem cells are going to rot and go to no use at all, but it's ok to kill those unborn babies, so to say, instead of actually using them for science. Forcing religious beliefs into the fabric society is certainly a good way to push forth a theocracy. But that is neither here nor there - Bush could tomorrow legalize gay marriage, and it wouldn't change my decision.

And as an aside, this country will always recognize my citizenship as an American (as consequently want me to pay taxes), unless I specifically renounce my citizenship. So while by legal standing I am and still will be an American, as of today my heart isn't. Plainly put. And it was coming eventually, anyways. Even if Kerry would've won, it probably would've only been just another 4 years before the neocons found a better liar, cheater, and theif to spin into the presidency.

I do not believe this country is climbing in strength - and I believe Germany was far stronger than America is now back in the 30's and 40's, and they fell quite hard - so no country is invincible to a decline. But like you said, just because someone disagrees with you, doesn't make them wrong. You think the country is strong and will not fail, and good for you, I'm glad you have a positive outlook on this.

And, plainly put, I am hopeful for this country. I do hope this country, regardless of it's current state, is able to grow in respect, in tolerance of others, in many, many ways. I'm just tired of waiting around for it personally, and can better focus my efforts elsewhere. I am burned out on American politics for now, and perhaps I just need a break for 5 or 10 or 50 years. Regardless, like you said, I will still be considered a citizen of this country.

And bruceha_2000, unfortunately I don't think you're on the way from DC to Toronto, otherwise I'd take you up on it! :)

-m.

20. rflagg

rflagg Member

Exactly - as Bill Maher said, "isn't [OBL] right? Can't a crazy person occasionally make sense? I mean, comeon, Hitler was a vegetarian, but that doesn't mean being a vegetarian is necessarily bad, right?"

I agree one of America's deep problems - the reason we were attacked on 9/11, and before - is because of our friendship with Israel. I too, am not jewish, or muslim, or anything - but both Kerry and Bush planned on keeping America's "special" relationship with Israel intact, and it's a major problem.

-m.