1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

connect non-smart phone with headphone jack

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Kele, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Kele

Kele New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Can I connect my phone to non-Entune audio (Prius 2) using a cable from headphone jack on phone? The phone has Bluetooth but can't pair with the car. Thanks
    Kele

2. The Broz

The Broz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll be upfront - I don't have a Prius so I am just clarifying your question. If you are asking what I think you are asking, you should be able to use a stereo cable (male to male available in any Radio Shack) to connect from the phone's headphone jack to the car's AUX jack. In this scenario, the car's stereo would just be operating passively to play whatever audio you have chosen on the phone to play (like if you are taking a non-iPod MP3 player to play music over the car's speakers). Again - I am taking some liberties on what you are looking to do, so if I am off base - pls clarify.

3. Reedja42

Reedja42 2012 Prius, Gen III, Barcelona Red, (FRED)

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I'm not sure about your question either.:confused: My 2012 Prius Gen III is a Trim 2, (Non Entune) and my phone connects via Bluetooth just fine. Entune is not required to connect via Bluetooth.

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes. It should be no problem using a male to male stereo 3.5 mm audio cable, assuming you're only interested in playing audio.

Radio Shack is usually overpriced. You'd probably do better at Fry's Electronics, if one exists near you.

Not sure what the OP's issue is w/pairing the phone over BT.

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    you cannot use it as a phone in the manner in which you speak

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    Right, if the OP wants to make phone calls via the aux connection, the car's microphone won't be routed thru the jack.

It's also unclear what size of jack is on the OP's phone. Many non-smartphones have 2.5 mm jacks. A make, model and carrier would help.

7. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    most come with an adapter (usually tossed out) to convert to the 3.5 either way, first thing i would do is investigate the BT pairing issue

8. Reedja42

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

It might be that the OP's phone has its Bluetooth connection ID set to something other than the default, which I believe is 00.

9. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    normally the car would tell the user what to type into the phone

10. Reedja42

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Possibly, but it is more likely that you would need to tell the car to look for an ID number other than 00. My phone and car were basically new together, so they were both using the default settings, and linked up without any adjustments on my part. I believe that I saw something about the audio system only looking for the default ID in the manual, while I was skimming through it, but I didn’t read the whole thing, because mine just worked from the get go.

11. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    it is a bit shocking that part of your new car checklist with the dealer did not include pairing your cellphone. but generally you would set car to pair a device during this the car will give you the BT passcode, normally a 4-8 digit number. then go to phone, turn on bluetooth and search. it should find the car. select it, pair then enter BT passcode at the prompt

12. Reedja42

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I’m not sure if you are responding to my post or the OP, but the dealer did show me how to sync my phone with the car audio system, and my phone and my wife’s phone were both synced to the car when I drove it off the lot . Also the car automatically searches for the phone; you do not have to adjust anything in the phone, other than to make sure the phone’s Bluetooth is on. The car audio system tells you what Bluetooth phones it has detected and you tell the car which one you want to sync to, at least that’s how it worked with our IPhones.

13. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    it be she/he

14. Kele

Kele New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    well now... I appreciate the detail of the responses...I took The Broz's advise, bought a male to male stereo audio plug, inserted both ends where they belong, and Viola! my phone is routed through the audio system of the car. So simple and I feel SOOOO grateful. My phone is an older blue tooth model which probably is the reason for not pairing. Anyway it works well enough now. Thank you all

15. The Broz

The Broz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    YAY!! Congrats on the new car BTW :)

16. Kele

Kele New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks I'll have to upload a photo of the sea glass pearl beauty. Last time I bought a car was 21 years ago. A teal Honda Civic now with 328,000 miles on it. The process of trading up was excruciating. Thank goodness I won't have to do this again for another 20 years. ;-) Ciao