1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Connected Leads Wrong While Jumping Prius...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Friendlyx, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Friendlyx

Friendlyx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'll skip the story of why/how it happened as it's embarrassing and i'm know it's 100% preventable, but it happens so here i am trying to fix it!

1) Basically the car wouldn't start at all. I looked online and checked that the big fuse that is for the 12v was probably burnt out. I confirmed by looking at it when taking off the cap and saw it was burnt. So i went to the junk yard and bought my a new fuse and paid $10 instead of paying $80 for the new one. It was a HUGE PAIN (Learn from my experience) but we got it changed after trying with the screws.
    2) Tried to turn on the car, but multiple things weren't working with the car, such as locking doors and opening the hatch. I knew i had to get a new 12V battery, so i did. Things such as opening the hatch and locking doors along with the dome lights were working.
    3) Tried to start the car, it would start and go into ready mode and then turn on the engine. However, once pushing accelerator it would turn off and turn on the multiple warning lights on the car. I had the "Triangle of Death" ABS, VCS, and a exclamation point with parenthesis around it (not the tire pressure one). After looking online i saw that if you have ABS and VCS you should check the fuse ETCS, and i went again and checked it. Completely burnt out. Changed it and the car started even after pushing the accelerator! VCS light was off, I was excited, i knew from the past that i had to turn on the car off and on multiple times to remove the "Triangle of death" and after 4 times of turning off and on the car.
    4) Car runs, i tried moving it a little bit just because i was scared and it did move backwards and forward.
    5) There are a couple things not working right. I see a "exclamation point with parenthesis around" even after restarting it. I'm at a lost how to remove this light or where i can check. Also, i have an aftermarket stereo, and it won't turn on at all. I checked the 7.5A fuse on the bottom of the steering wheel and it didn't seem broken, it was the one that said "audio system" on it. The backup camera, and MFD works perfect.

I'm looking to see if anyone can help me out and how to reset the "exclamation point with parenthesis around" and hopefully revive my stereo too. No engine check lights are on currently. Thank you for looking and going through the process by reading it!

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've fixed this for people a couple times. After replacing the fusible link assembly on the left side of the under hood fuse box, I've always found 2, 3 or 4 other fuses blown in that box. I just pull every single one, one at a time and check them. Replace as needed, and the car has been fine afterwards.

edthefox5, ETC(SS), SFO and 3 others like this.
  3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    And when buying a fuse assortment- just a reminder, use good brand name fuses. eBay and Amazon are both selling a lot of counterfeit junk which turn into fire hazards. Meanwhile the neighborhood stores usually have the real deal, hopefully they are offering curbside sales there.

edthefox5 likes this.
  4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    how to reset the "exclamation point with parenthesis around" and hopefully revive my stereo too. No engine check lights are on currently.

I suspect this is the TPMS indicator lamp? exclamation point with parenthesis and a slightly squiggly line along the bottom (like a tire tread)?

Does it blink for several seconds when you initially start the car? If so, either you have a low tire pressure or the car has lost communication with one or more TPMS modules in the tires. Or maybe the tpms system has no power?

5. Friendlyx

Friendlyx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I looked online it looks like break system warning light it said

6. Friendlyx

Friendlyx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Luckily they are! I know there are small fuses but what are the boxes in the fuse box? Are those fuses and should those be checked too?

7. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    To reinforce what Leadfoot said:

8. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The various vaguely cube-shaped boxes you see are relays. They are part of what the fuses actually protect when they blow out.

So you've swapped the big white/clear fusible link, now you need to check the branch fuses and replace any that burned at the same time as the big link. There is a secondary fuse panel in the cabin, roughly in front of the driver's left knee. I'm not sure what the access is in your version of the car.

Do the underhood ones first, replace any that burnt out and chances are that'll be a full cure but if anything lingers start checking the cabin panel next.

9. Friendlyx

Friendlyx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've checked every fuse in the main box in the front and under the dash and still have the system break light and no power to my pioneer stereo

10. Friendlyx

Friendlyx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    After checking every fuse i also checked the car with system check mode and it says audio NCON, what does this mean?

Attached Files:

11. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would think "NOT Connected"

Keyword....."Pioneer Stereo."
    Aftermarket unit.
    Aftermarket wiring?
    I'd find out how this unit was wired into the Prius and try to see if you've got 12VDC going into the head unit.

I'd want to verify that the ((!)) isn't being caused by the 12v battery.
    Especially if the brakes feel OK and the fluid level is good.

NEW battery is not necessarily a GOOD battery - especially if the car has been a hangar queen for the last few days and not running and recharging the 12VDC aux battery.
    Stick a crow-bar in your wallet and get a battery tender until your car is a daily driver..... ($20 if you can find an open WalMart)

I've used the $5 Harbor Freight units in the past too (they have the same chip in them as the $40 name brand) but the $20 WalMart unit has (or used to have) the semi-permanent, semi-weather resistant under-hood connection that you can use restore the charge in your 12v battery over night after you've had the doors and hood open in your driveway all day.

#11 ETC(SS), Mar 31, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  12. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ok, so it's an exclamation mark inside a circle, inside a set of parenthesis? Is it red or yellow?

Have you tried resetting the car again by disconnecting the 12v battery for a minute or two?

13. Friendlyx

Friendlyx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The stereo is a W4400NEX and was installed by me, i never had any issues until now with it. I used the wiring that crutchfield recommended. Before this "issue" i never saw the light come up so, it can't be just breaks and fluid level i would think at this point. Is the car safe to drive around to see if it'll come off?

It's this light right here, nothing else, just this one that won't come off I have not tried to disconnect the 12v since i put it in yesterday, i'll go ahead and try it right now.

Attached Files:

14. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I like @ETC(SS)'s guess about the NCON message. As far as the stereo not actually operating? I'll take my own guess- it might not have been installed correctly with adequate fuse protection vs. the reverse polarity event you've suffered. That's not uncommon in aftermarket radio installations.

15. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Since you don't live near ME?

Sure!
    ;)

I'd go easy on the first few test flights and probably would refrain from interstate hops and hauling babies for a while.
    It's not like your state has an operable "STAY HOME" order judging from the number of people I'm seeing on your beaches......

16. Friendlyx

Friendlyx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Could the stereo be destroyed which results in having to buy a new one? Or is it more car wise where no stereo will ever work unless i find what went wrong?
    I reset the 12v and it's gone now! IT'S GONEEE! The car drives as it did a week ago without the stereo!!!

17. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The stereo itself could be toast. Some have an internal fuse, some have an inline fuse on the included harness. Some are able to withstand negative polarity, others just fry. Naturally they all protect themselves by saying "Never do this" in the manual.

So you'll certainly be able to get another stereo to work in this car, but it's kind of iffy for the current unit. You'll want to get it out and check power on the constant & switched 12v lines first, then triplecheck any fuses feeding those lines just to make sure.

18. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I reset the 12v and it's gone now! IT'S GONEEE!

(y)

R-P and edthefox5 like this.
  19. Friendlyx

Friendlyx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Good Morning! I tried changing the stereo with the same harness and everything but I cannot seem to get the new stereo to power on. I see the radiopro turn on a light so i don't know if it's that but it shows a light when I turn on the car. I also looked at the fuse for the radiopro and it had little "burn" marks in the tips but it wasn't blown. Either way I changed it. I've looked at the fuses in the bottom of the cabin. Anywhere else I should be looking?

20. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you use the same plug that goes into the actual radio like this? (This is for JVC, so other brands might look differently)
    [​IMG]
    Or did you plug into the loom of 10cm to two plugs like below? (This is for Honda, so the blue plug would look differently)

[​IMG]
    Reason for asking is because one common issue in carstereo's is the yellow and red wiring and the differences between some brands. Mostly this only causes the radio to not remember its settings when reversed, but I have seen it causing other (not always logical) issues that were solved by swapping them around. In the first pic I posted, you would see bullit-connectors so yellow and red can both go to yellow, OR both can go to red OR red can go to yellow and yellow to red, OR yellow-to-yellow and red-to-red.