1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Connected the jumper cables the wrong way 2006 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Nish, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Nish

Nish New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The auxiliary battery is dead and I have been jump starting my wife's car for the past month. This morning I made a mistake in a hurry. When I fixed it the power button turned green when I pressed it once then orange when I pressed it again. The central console and the clock are dead.
    Found three blown fuses: one over the aux battery 120A and two under the hood. Replaced them, but still having the same problem. Any suggestions on what should I be looking for?
    I don't have a multimeter or the device to get the error code.
    The combination meter wasn't working(the recall was for 9 years only, and we don't have enough money to have it fixed)

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Look at the fusible link which is located in the 5" long whitish/clear plastic box in the main relay/fuse box next to the inverter. Do you see any damaged portions of that link (in particular, the 100A DC/DC fusible link.) If you do, the link assembly has to be replaced.
    2. Do the overhead lights in the passenger cabin work? If they do not, check the 15A DOME fuse. That fuse does more than just provide voltage to the lighting and if it is blown that will also cause problems.
    3. Regarding the clock not working, it receives power via the DOME fuse. the 7.5A PANEL fuse and the 7.5A ACC fuse. So the fact that it does not work shows you that you have at least one other fuse that has blown.
    4. You need to get Toyota Techstream (or clone) to retrieve the diagnostic trouble codes.
    5. It is possible that the DC/DC converter within the inverter was destroyed by the botched jumpstart, and the inverter will have to be replaced.
    6. If you are lucky enough to figure out the problem without having to spend $500 or more on a used inverter and its installation, I hope you will replace the 12V battery instead of continuing to jumpstart the car..

#2 Patrick Wong, Jun 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    Nish, kenoarto, SFO and 3 others like this.
  3. Nish

Nish New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----

Thank you it was the fusible link 100A. I had looked at it but the break wasn't easy to spot.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Were you able to replace the fusible link yourself? That seems to be a fairly difficult task.