1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Connecting Crossover on 2012 Prius C

Discussion in 'Prius c Audio and Electronics' started by Sly_Ghost, May 9, 2021.

1. Sly_Ghost

Sly_Ghost New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all, I have just recently purchased a component speaker system (Hertz DSK 165.3) which has a tweeter separate from the woofer. But it also included a crossover box which from what I've read is supposed to improve the audio when used. I haven't actually taken the door panel off yet because I'm waiting on the wiring harness for the tweeters to arrive. My question is how do I connect the crossover box to the factory stereo system? My understanding is that this Prius model doesn't come with a built in crossover. I'm just trying to get a gameplan for when I do take off the panel because my initial thought was to connect everything without using the crossover box. But I've read reviews that the crossover will make the speakers sound better and that's the main purpose for buying better speakers.

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Easy- the crossover is going to have 1 input and n (usually 2) outputs. The input is expected to be full-spectrum amplified speaker-level audio from the head unit.

The crossover is a passive filter network that divides that full-spectrum signal into two or more bands of frequencies. These component signals are then output onto several sets of wire terminals on the output side.

The net effect is better power efficiency and lower distortion. The watts you've already gots are better applied.

What it really means: The car has one pair of speaker wires going into each of the front doors. This is the full-spectrum audio. This goes into your crossover, which you should mount someplace inside the door- watch where the glass moves. Then take the high frequency output and run a wire from those terminals to the tweeters mounted up high, and run a second pair of wires from the low frequency output to the big speaker in the bottom of the door.

Very common method, I did the same in my c.

Good luck!

#2 Leadfoot J. McCoalroller, May 10, 2021
    Last edited: May 10, 2021
  3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    This post covers it about as good as you can.

BUT.....I think that replacing audio components in most cars in an attempt to improve the "quality" of the sound is just a waste.
    Especially is a small car that has little to no design elements to reduce ambient noise.
    Wind noise, tire noise, engine noise and an "enclosure" that is not "tuned" all makes for an extremely BAD environment.

4. Sly_Ghost

Sly_Ghost New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey thank you so much for the reply! Since you have experience installing a crossover box. Where exactly did you connect the input of the crossover box to the stereo? I'm having trouble finding that line of connection. I just took the door off today to see if I could find it, so attached to this post is my car door with the door panel removed. I'm assuming just like you did that there are a pair of wires going from the factory stereo that then connects to the tweeter and woofer. There's a black cable in the picture that I uploaded that starts connected to a yellow box near the bottom left corner of the door. I'm assuming that my be where the Prius' original crossover is considering it's leading to the connection to the woofer and tweeter.

Attached Files:

5. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    It's been a couple of years but here's what I recall:

The aftermarket crossover is in a fancy box to make the buyer feel better about the expense- not technically required at all, thus the factory system is done in a cheaper and uglier layout, no centralized device.

Moving on... the lines connected to the large speakers are what you want. Either cut off the Toyota connector or buy an adapter to get back to bare wires. Those wires are what you want going IN to your crossover.

Then disconnect, tape-over & ignore the wiring branch going up to the hi-mount tweeters.

Physically mount your new speakers. I removed the factory tweeter assemblies, and then cut the actual speakers off from the plastic boomerang shaped brackets. Then I used epoxy glue to mount my new tweeters on the brackets and bolted the assemblies back into the door- worked great.

Then run new wire from the outputs of your crossover box to your new speakers & reassemble.

I doubt they changed much in the way of speaker wiring between your 2012 and my 2018, but it's always good to verify wire paths with a continuity tester before committing. Good luck!