1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Connecting iPod to the stereo Prius controlling songlist

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Eric Nothman, Aug 11, 2007.

1. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BobR @ Aug 23 2007, 06:42 PM) [snapback]501316[/snapback]</div>

I guess so, cause that works out to $37.50 per letter!

2. Family Hybrid

Family Hybrid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Vagabond,

I just installed Toyota's XM kit. What is the best settings for the DICE unit so I can still use my iPod?

3. BobR

BobR Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ Aug 23 2007, 09:46 PM) [snapback]501317[/snapback]</div>
    Just FYI, I was able to sell the Solara XM for more than I bought it for, so I didn't lose any money and actually made money. Quite a bit of money since I had free activation and over a year free service I used and clearly didn't sell with the unit.

I bought the SLX on a group buy so the price was discounted and bought the XM Direct for $50 with a $30 rebate = $20; with free activation and three months of service.

In addition the SLX adds an additional line-in and XM Direct has better reception and a much smaller antenna and antenna cable.

All in all I paid very little extra and have been enjoying the additional features and extra 6 characters every day since. This was hardly $37.50 a character.

Not that the Solara XM was, but the SLI and SLX have been rock solid since I bought them. I couldn't be happier. They never crash or cause me any problems.

Bob

4. cheule

cheule New Member

Eric N, I would like to ask you a question about the use of your SoundLinq2. After you select a playlist using your MFD, can you tell the iPod to shuffle that playlist from the MFD also? I assume you would be able to, but I just want to make sure. 90% of the time when I listen to songs on my iPhone, I select a playlist and want it randomized.

5. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BobR @ Aug 23 2007, 08:04 PM) [snapback]501361[/snapback]</div>
    Slick.

6. Eric Nothman

Eric Nothman Prius owner

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sean Blumenthal @ Aug 24 2007, 12:12 AM) [snapback]501385[/snapback]</div>
    Sean,

I verified the random function works on the VAIS just as described in the VAIS manual (see page 10 CD/MD Changer Emulation - for a 2004 Prius we used the MD emulation - see previous post).

Here is a link to the manual ==>
    http://www.vaistech.com/manuals/Manual_SL2i.pdf

I verified all the control functions listed (below) act as they are described in the manual. For the "Shuffle" control it will shuffle (randomize) the play back of all the songs in the active playlist. We really like this. On the iPod itself the 'shuffle' function randomizes all songs in the iPod - not as good as how the VAIS unit uses this function.

So, control functions using the Prius Multi-Function Display (MFD) touch screen for controlling the iPod that we verified work as described are:
    1) turning 'shuffle' on or off (songs are shuffled randomly within a playlist)
    2) fast forward/fast rewind of a song
    3) scrolling up and down through the playlists
    4) selecting the playlists via "one touch" (for the first twelve playlists in the iPod)
    5) scrolling up and down through a playlist by increments of 10 songs
    6) scrolling up and down through a playlist by increments of 50 songs
    7) controlling/displaying the playlist name on the MFD, and
    8) controlling/displaying either the: Album name, Song name, or Artist name (not simultaneously - only one of these at a time - though you can scroll through all three) on the MFD for the song that is playing (with 29 characters displayed)

We did not verify these next two controls, but also in the manual (and I assume work as well as the others):
    9) controling repeating a single song
    10) controling repeating the playlist (all songs)

My wife and I find the MFD touch screen controls are just fine for controlling the iPod, and it is handy to be able to cycle through songs in a playlist (either randomly with 'shuffle' turned on or sequentially without 'shuffle') from the scrolling controls on the Prius's steering wheel.

Best regards,

Eric

7. longterm

longterm Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have a VAIS SLQi2 in my 2007 Prius; I installed it a couple of weeks ago, and it works flawlessly with my 5th-generation iPod.

I also bought the firmware updater, so that I could update the firmware today, which went very smoothly, took about 5 minutes.

The new firmware update adds the ability for the VAIS to see something like 300 playlists, as opposed to 99; it also fixed a problem with 5th-gen iPods where the iPod wouldn't come back playing after a bluetooth phone call comes in.

The next update promises to add Artist and Album lists... something I'd really like to have.

Also, the Random and Shuffle features work great; I use them on some of my larger playlists.