1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Considering 2012 PIP with HIGH mileage

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by sprintermike, Feb 5, 2019.

1. sprintermike

sprintermike Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    A low priced PiP 2012 Advanced came on the market near me (6999). The mileage is high, 194,000.
    I'm looking at buying next year, a gen I.
    Any thoughts on this deal?
    Outside of the textbook, when do you expect to replace the battery? Would you be especially concerned about this mileage?
    If I search nationwide, I can find a gen I for under $15k with less than 50,000, so I would be saving some $, just not sure where the breakeven is.
    Any thoughts appreciated.

2. QuantumFireball

QuantumFireball Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    I don't think anyone can say for sure how long these batteries will last, they're a different chemistry to any older Prius and none have been around longer than 6 years. With other cars with Li-ion batteries, degradation seems to be more related to age than mileage. I'd be interested to see what range that one is displaying after a full charge, but that's not a particularly accurate measurement either.

These engines tend to start burning oil with high mileage, I believe the issue is with piston rings on early Gen 3's but I don't know if improvements were made by 2012.

bisco and jerrymildred like this.
  3. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I have looked at buying similar cars and
    To be honest I wouldn’t worry about the battery at all, it might have less capacity but otherwise is probably just fine.
    My guess is the battery on that number of miles wasn’t likely used much, maybe half or less of those miles are probably battery,

I would worry about the motor burning oil though and would do the same before car purchase inspection I would do on any gas vehicle.

4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    +1 to both @QuantumFireball and @Rmay635703. The battery on the PiP is new enough that it's not very predictable. But there are no signs yet that it won't last at least as long as the NiMH batteries on the regular Prii.

I would be curious about the battery range on one with those miles, but I would not go by the prediction. I'd want to do a full charge and then drive it to learn the actual range.

All my personal evidence as well as what I read here from time to time on oil burning is that if you change the oil at least as often as the manual says, then you can avoid the oil burning problems. But with that many miles on a car, who knows how well it was maintained? Possibly pretty well or they might not have put on that many miles.

bisco likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I would research engine and battery replacement before purchasing.
    If comfortable, go for it.

Are you a strong diy type?