1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Considering a 2005 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by biglew8, Feb 13, 2017.

1. biglew8

biglew8 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hello everyone! I am considering a 2005 Prius base model with about 170,000 miles on it. Only one owner (my coworker) and he says the Prius still runs great. No accidents. Service was mainly done at the Toyota dealership. New all-season tires were put on 2 years ago. The hybrid battery has not been changed yet and I was told it is still working great. I know that eventually the hybrid battery needs to be replaced with a new one or have the current one reconditioned. Here are some of the recent work done according to his owner records:

7/24/2015, 149,879 miles: Replaced front wheel bearings
    1/30/2015, 143,333 miles: Replaced front brake pads & rotors, drive belt, spark plugs
    1/26/2011, 82,294 miles: Replaced drive belt
    1/30/2009, 45,894: Replaced oxygen sensor

He did move from New Hampshire to Washington State in October 2016.

He is offering to sell it to me for $3500. Is this a good purchase or should I avoid it? Should I consider bringing it to a local dealership for a buyer's inspection? I want to make sure my purchase is a good one. Thank you for any info you provide me. Take care!

2. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As long as you start saving for the $2500-$3000 hybrid battery you should be fine.

Unless the dealer is willing to give you a printout of the battery under load both charging and discharging, not sure what you'll get out of a pre-purchase inspection.

If it has HID headlights I've ask specifically whether or not they have had problems with them or replaced them (bulbs are $150, ballasts even more).

Make sure all the steering wheel controls work while turning the wheel. Too often I've seen bad Clockspring in used Prius.

Also ask when the 12v was last changed. They cost $200 or more to replace.

Make sure you get 2 sets of keys and key fobs and that they lock unlock the doors and start the car. Replacements are $250 or more.

3. KCobby

KCobby Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    As a 2005 owner, I can say that I love my car. Been through a lot with it and it's held up like a champ. With higher miles, the hybrid battery may be just fine for a good while longer. Hard to say. But with any used car purchase, you never really know, right?

The thing I would be most wary about would be buying from a friend. Don't know your relationship, but if things don't go well with the car, you may feel some degree of resentment that would affect your friendship.

Doing a quick KBB on the car it looks like a private party sale for a good condition car is just under $3k. Very good condition - $3400. Might see about negotiating a bit if you really want it. Good luck!

4. Simbaboy

Simbaboy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think $3500 is high. I think $2800 is the most I would go. I just bought a 2009 recently with 230,000 Miles and so far so good. I did replace the 12V battery and transaxel fluid.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. biglew8

biglew8 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thank you for the replies. He's my coworker that works on another floor. I don't really know the guy well. After talking to him some more and looking over owner records, I talked him down to $3000. I have not purchased it yet but I do know that I will need to replace the 12v battery. He just got the interior detailed so I think that is the reason why he said he can't go any lower than $3000. I am hoping that this will be a good purchase that can last me at least 3 years.

Simbaboy likes this.