1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Considering a 2006 with 186K Miles

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by co_mtn_grl, Jun 10, 2016.

1. co_mtn_grl

co_mtn_grl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all,

I have been reading up on similar posts and would just like some opinions on my situation. I am considering "downsizing" from my 2007 V6 RAV4 (with 129K miles) to a 2006 Prius with 186K miles. The reason I am considering this is I am going to start grad school this Fall and during the summers, will be commuting 460 miles fairly regularly. Since the Prius does not have a 4wd system and all of the components that come with it, I am thinking maintenance might be cheaper than my RAV, in addition to fuel savings.

I have checked service records and Carfax for this Prius. It had one previous owner (it was owned by a business as a corporate car). When I test drove it, it drove well and the fuel efficiency is still in the mid to high forties.

Thoughts? Should I risk potential expensive repairs for the fuel efficiency and low maintenance costs of the Prius? Or just keep my RAV? Thanks!

2. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I'd stick with the RAV4, it should make 200k if properly maintained. kThe Prius is approaching the expensive years.

Lucifer and bisco like this.
  3. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I would agree; keep the RAV4. Routine and preventative maintenance goes a long way to keep your vehicle running well.

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! if you don't want to keep the rav4, which is probably your lowest cost option, disregarding repairs, i would weigh your upcoming annual miles with the prius at say 40 mpg vs another non hybrid like corolla, yaris, camry and etc., which you should be able to get with lower miles for the same cost as the prius.

do the math at $2., 3., 4., even $5. to see what 40 mpg will save you. i think you'll find it's not enough to out weigh the potential repairs on a high mileage car. all the best!(y)

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There's not that much savings on the highway. 30mpg vs 45mpg. One expensive component on the prius failing, like hv battery, and your savings have become an expense

6. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If you put a new traction battery in the prius and keep brakes and tires supple, a 50% increase in mpg's is the bottom line, and really the prius should get mid 50's for the first 50,000 with a new traction, (2,500$) but...or stay where you are.

7. sttkailua

sttkailua Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    RAV 4 a 4-WD? A 4-WD better for snow.
    If you only driving in the summer, might be o.k.
    Without cost/condition info, hard to say if it is better financially.
    Someone with experience with this year, and snow driving can
    comment.

No snow where I drive, but it did hail once!

stt

bisco likes this.