1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Considering a First Gen Prius

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by dbrehmer87, Nov 7, 2017.

1. dbrehmer87

dbrehmer87 New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm searching for a used vehicle, and came across a 2003 Prius with 129,000 miles for sale by a private party ($2700). I'm looking for a vehicle with excellent reliability first and foremost, as well as good gas mileage. I'm not mechanically inclined and also don't have a very large budget.

The owner of the Prius says the car has had no issues, runs and drives great, the battery is in excellent condition, and the car gets 52/45 mpg.

I haven't looked at it yet, and just sent a message asking them if the vehicle has an original battery or if it has been replaced or repaired.

Just wondering if this would be a wise purchase for me... of course it has the high mpg I'm looking for, but I'm concerned about it's reliability, especially considering it's an old first generation Prius. I'm also concerned about running into major repairs with the battery. Of course, getting more information from them and running the VIN number will help answer some of my questions.

Wondering if anyone could speak to the reliability of a first gen prius, or has any advice as far as more questions I should ask or research I should do.

Thank you kindly!

2. WHCSC

WHCSC Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Read the pinned thread above. Who should and should not buy a 2001-2003 Prius. I read it and still have 3 of them now. One of them is causing me nothing but stress. I read on here one time that the can be considered a little more than a science experiment. For that price you can pick up a used Camry that will run for 300K.

Montgomery likes this.
  3. dbrehmer87

dbrehmer87 New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Cool. Thanks for the advice. Wow, that thread has a lot of information and definitely helps confirm my hesitations. Probably not the best purchase for me.

I guess I was thinking if it has a new battery (which it probably doesn't, that's just my hopeful thinking), it might be worth it.

Yes, I would looove to find a Camry or a Honda of some sort. I'll have to keep looking.

Thanks again! :)

4. WHCSC

WHCSC Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The battery is only one of a bunch of stuff that can go wrong. It might be the easiest fix. :)

5. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They're lying about the mileage. Most of us, I suspect get high 30's to low 40's.

I am driving my 03 these days. The Porsche is in the shop getting a paint job, the 02 Prius is down for an inverter coolant pump. It's second one in 205,000 miles.

The thing with these cars is a lot of them are reaching the end of their logical service life. The original HV batteries are very old and very obsolete technology. With Toyota's Customer Goodwill policy, a replacement battery could be as low as around $2000, and it would have a 2 year warranty and all new components. But then, your transaxle could fail, or a brake booster pump, or the inverter coolant pump. My 02 needed a brake booster pump. & needs an inverter pump. But it does have a 4 year old factory replacement HV battery, so I'll keep it up and running. Lovely car!

They aren't that tough to learn or to work on (with a couple of factory repair manuals.) But Joe-Bob's corner garage probably won't be able to fix it. An independent hybrid shop or the local dealer ($$$) is gonna be a better choice. Or if you can do your own work, the learning curve isn't too steep.

Raytheeagle and WHCSC like this.
  6. Jeremyh

Jeremyh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I lent my NHW11 to my dad while I was overseas, and came back to see he was getting MPG in the low 50s, over 1200km or so of short trips. I am slightly more of a leadfoot so am getting more in the 40s.

7. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm cleaning up my 03, with the intent to sell it. It's a great car, like new, battery monitors say the battery is good, and I've Prolong balanced and conditioned it. Any car you buy is a crapshoot. I mean, you never see relatively new cars being flat bedded to the shop, do you? I like them so much I've bought two of them in the past year. They drive nice, have lots of room for such a little car, and I'm relatively independent of the cost of gas.

Probably the OP is long gone, but were I him, I'd at least go have a look and a test ride.

8. LEVE

LEVE Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've both a NHW11 and a couple of NHW10s. The NHW11 has always recorded about 2 to 3 mpg above the NHW10 in continued like conditions. At least, that's been my experience over the last 9 years.