1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Considering a GEN2 for kid's car.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by farmecologist, Jan 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Just remember to impress on the kids the need to check the oil reasonably often on an older Prius. A lot of modern cars will happily go from oil change to oil change without requiring anything, but the Prius often needs a top off (or two or three).

There have been quite a few stories here (on the forums) of members who've bought a new car and gifted their old Prius to a son or daughter. So many times the story ends with the last oil change that they gave it (before gifting) being the last oil change it ever got and a blown or damaged engine within about a year. :)

farmecologist, Raytheeagle and padroo like this.
  2. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You also have to impress on kids and sometimes wives that when that oil light comes on that you shut the car off right there, you don't drive it to a gas station or home. Same goes with overheating situations.

farmecologist and uart like this.
  3. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II

Yep our 2010 consumes oil. Our daughter is already 'trained'. (y)

Another thing...by "kids car" I mean "kids and me car". I have made it clear that the 2010 is NOT my daughter's car but is a family car that she can use. Also, I get to drive the 2010 most of the time now that she is in college. And I have a really nice Hyundai Sonata Limited sitting in the garage. Am I weird? I'd say somewhat! :whistle:

Raytheeagle and uart like this.
  4. gamma742

gamma742 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Luxury
    farmecologist likes this.
  5. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm not sure how many of you have driven a car destroyed by hail. I had a Subaru that got beaten up in a Texas hail storm. It was still drivable but looked terrible. In hindsight, I paid the price for not having enough insurance coverage, and spending $300+ on dentless removals did next to nothing. There wasn't much I could do to make it presentable.

I still took care of what was under the hood. But after the hail story, I had very little pride in ownership and the paint job suffered from it. I was thrilled the day that I was rear ended and the insurance company handed me a check for an amount that was double what the car was worth on the open market.

6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    On one level you are seeking and looking for a cheaper, older, high mileage vehicle. Nearly nothing you find is going to be absolutely risk free or perfect.
    You're doing you due diligence it seems with carfax and seeking maintenance history.
    If a lower mileage Gen 2 is your goal, in the end, you're just going to have to find one in which you feel good about the price, mileage, and what you can find out about the history,- then go check it out. Nothing beats a hands on look, and a test drive.

If this is a vehicle for a son, well my priority would be with potential safety issues. Tire condition, Brakes. Headlights. Airbags...

Owning a Gen 3 Prius as you do, you are already familiar with many aspects of Hybrid ownership, even if what you are looking at now is Gen 2. You already seem well versed at the differences between the 2 generations.

IMO the Gen 2 Prius is the iconic Prius that really created the foundation for the Prius's success. People have owned them and continue to own them, and the reputation of the generation and the vehicle is excellent. But the reality is also with every passing year...Gen 2 Prius become that much older.

However if what you want is " a cheap GEN2. Seems like it might also be a fun project car. " .

Then that is a very obtainable goal.

7. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Oh for crimony's sakes. The stealership priced this 2008 at 11K..but I expected as much. I told them good luck with that and that I do know how to access kbb.com. :whistle:

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Update :

Closing in on a potential local private party 2007 with 147K miles for $5200. Has the JBL system and appears to have fog lamps so is at least a package #4. Has had some recent maintenance done ( new brakes, tires, 12V battery ). Also has upgraded rims that look pretty nice. Still need to look at it and get service records but looks like it has been very well maintained.

The only issue is the 'high mileage'. Maybe I should look into the Prolong battery system if this pans out.

One question...are the rear drum brakes an issue on the Gen2's?

Prodigyplace likes this.
  9. LEVE

LEVE Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have 287,000 miles on my 20005
    I can only speak for myself... I have a 2005 with over 287,000 miles on it. I have yet to replace the rear brakes. Why? The only reason I can think of is that the Prius uses regenerative breaking for most of the stopping power and the brakes seem to last forever.

10. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Anecdotal but I think I've seen more issues reported here with rear disc brakes due to dirty/corroded pins or stuck e-brakes. FWIW

SFO and farmecologist like this.
  11. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Like most cars, the rear drum shoes on the (US) Prius only need replacement approx. every 2 times the front pads need replacement. However on a carefully driven 2nd gen, the front pads can go 150k miles (normal driver is ~100k). For this reason corrosion is a bigger issue, as the first drum shoe job could be at 300k.

If buying a 2nd gen, I'd look for the later year models - 08-09, just for the younger batteries. Failures on these cars start to happen it seems around 12 years (at the same time, batteries lasting more than 15 years isn't rare). So right now we're seeing 04-06s with batteries failing on the forums. An 07 battery could fail in a couple of years, it's hard to say the exact risk, but it's something to plan for.

farmecologist and WilDavis like this.
  12. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    For a lot of people that is low miles. I doubt you'll have a single problem for years but I'm just speaking from personal experience and maybe I just have good luck with Priuses.

SFO and farmecologist like this.
  13. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm pursuing the 2007 but it is a craigslist listing....I'm beginning to see that craigslist can be a PITA for both the seller and the buyer. :unsure:

BTW - if any of my comrades here have a spare Gen II lying around...let me know! :D

SFO likes this.
  14. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Alright...I need some advice. Here is the craigslist listing :

2007 Toyota Prius - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle automotive sale

VIN# JTDKB20U877548766

Looks like a touring model package #3 from what I can tell. https://cdn.dealereprocess.net/cdn/brochures/toyota/2007-prius.pdf

I got the carfax and it notes two accidents but the title is apparently clean. Owner claims they were small fender benders.

Carfax priced the car at $4200 for a private party sale because of the accidents. Owner is asking $5200 which is in the kbb.com range. However, kbb pretty much assumes no accidents...right?

Car also has 147K miles on it...which seems like it may be due for a battery 'sometime soon'?

So the question before the jury...is $5200 too much? I'm thinking it is slightly too much given the accidents...but the car does look well taken care of and the owner seems sincere.

15. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't like the after market rims. It doesn't have navigation (which I have but my phone is way better), and it's clean but not that clean. I can see a scuff on front right bumper. And I'm sure somewhere a panel or two are wavy from being repainted. Looks like brake light is on.

I think price is too high.

Have you checked dealers? Don't be afraid to buy one from a dealer. This one looks way cleaner with only 95k miles for similar price:
    2005 Toyota Prius ONE OWNER!!!! - cars & trucks - by dealer - vehicle automotive sale

This one also under 6k under 100k miles: 2006 Toyota Prius - cars & trucks - by dealer - vehicle automotive sale

And same seller as 2nd link has this 2009 with 130k miles under 6k: 2009 Toyota Prius - cars & trucks - by dealer - vehicle automotive sale

16. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Dealer can actually be better in many cases...Sure, it's coming from dealer auction, but when they are clean, 9 times out of 10 the selling dealer at the auction was a Toyota dealership who received vehicle from the 1st or 2nd owner who traded it in. And that's exactly the type of previous owner you want vs. the private owner on CL that treated his car like crap.

17. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I've always traded in my used car problems instead of selling them to an individual. Decades ago, my brother literally pushed his POS into the dealers lot to trade it in. LOL

Edit: I was reminded by another thread, make sure the car has two working FOB's or budget accordingly.

#37 fotomoto, Jan 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  18. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    As far as I can tell....those rims are not after market...they are touring rims without the wheel covers :
    16" OEM PRIUS "TOURING EDITION" ALLOY WHEELS FOR SALE Brand New!!!! | PriusChat

So this is, in fact, a touring model the best I can tell.

Interesting you found listings at Used Cars Farmington | Used Car Dealer Farmington | Dakota Motor Company. They currently have 11 or so Prius in stock for good prices...a large percentage of their inventory. Unfortunately, I have heard some 'not so great' things about them...but all problems were with non-Prius vehicles. According to cargurus some of those Prius have been on their lot a LOOONG time too. That usually raises a red flag with me...

At this point I also think the price is too high considering the accidents and high mileage. I have plenty of time so I'll probably skip this one. Thanks all!

#38 farmecologist, Jan 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    SFO likes this.
  19. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ya, they will take anything, but if it is a lemon falling apart you probably won't get much as trade in. I'm talking about the sparkling new excellent condition Priuses inside/out that go in on trade to an A Class Dealer (Toyota, Ford, GM, etc.), end up being sold at dealer auction to a B Class Dealer (small lot). Like the one's I posted in MN that look really clean.

Typically if it looks to be in excellent condition it is not going to have major problems. Just my experience.

20. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Ha yep this is why buying a used car is so much fun. :whistle: Dealers can have just as many POS as private sale owners. The phenomenon of people trading in their problems is absolutely correct. In fact, I'll wager that many private sale folks are 'prouder-er' of their car than someone who traded. :D

Raytheeagle likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.