1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Considering a Gen3, I have some questions

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by deis, Dec 10, 2020.

1. deis

deis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Hi all,

I'm based in Liverpool, UK and I'm seriously considering buying a Gen3 Prius from around 2012 after xmas. I understand there have been engine issues (leaky piston rings and burning oil) with the Gen3 from 2011, is this still the case for 2012 ones? Does it affect cars that have a certain range of VIN or engine number, if so could anyone post that data for me so I can check before I buy?

I also read they've had a series of recalls for various reasons, does any one have a resource where I can check the recalls for a particular car? I remember there being a website, but I can't for the life of me find it now.

I've read about many options on these cars, but I think I'm working out that some aren't available in the uk, such as the solar roof and aircon while it's parked, automatic side parking, lane assist, proximity cruise control, etc. Is this true? I've seen a few for sale, but no mention of these options. What did you get on the high specs models in the uk?

Finally, I'm a technical guy (why else would I buy a Prius), so where can I find technical manuals and wiring diagrams for the prius gen3?

Thanks in advance.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The leaky rings and oil burning that eventually leads to blown headgasket are just the symptoms. The actual cause of the problem for this Prius is the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve. The design of it takes exhaust too far upstream where it's at its oiliest and dirtiest and the system gets clogged up. So you can avoid lots of hassle if you keep your EGR system as clean as possible, as well as adding an inexpensive oil catch can to limit the amount of oil that gets into the system.

Beyond that, finding a spare hybrid battery pack to work on and learn about and have on your shelf charged up and ready to go will save you lots of hassle soon as your existing pack starts to age. Learn more about the aging process and how you can prevent it with reconditioning here: FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) | Hybrid Automotive

independent and deis like this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    We've got a wiki page that will tell you all about getting access to the technical info. At one point I'd have said toyota-tech.eu, but I have not closely followed what effect brexit may have on that.

deis likes this.
  4. deis

deis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Thanks for replies. I did read about EGR issue, but I wasn't aware it is linked to the piston ring issue, based on your explanation, it makes sense. One of those things you realise when it's explained.

I'll have a scour on technical section in the wiki, I did have a scan of it, but didn't delve too much into it. I might give the Toyota Europe Technical resources a go before we leave the EU, but I can't imagine there will be much change to accessing the info they hold.

I see their diagnostic software is free, but the dongle is expensive, is buying a genuine dongle worth it or can one be thrown together with some electronics, what are the aftermarket/third party ones like?

I've seen one to buy, so maybe I'll have it by next week! Watch this space.

5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The hard part is getting the software working... And it's not that Toyota Techstream is free, it's software exclusively for Toyota certified repair shops. It's just that Toyota doesn't go after unauthorised software users so much so there's various ways to get access to it.

The knock-off Mini-VCI plugs for $25 work fine for occasional use but aren't very durable... Folks who use them everyday buy these slightly more expensive ones: USA VXDIAG VCX NANO Diagnostic Tools for Techstream Compatible with SAE J2534

But in general Dr. Prius App with via a OBD2 is the quickest easiest to use tool to always have with the vehicle: Hybrid battery diagnostic and repair tool for Toyota and Lexus

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The Toyota Techstream software isn't exclusively for any special kind of repair shop, it's for (in the US) anybody who signs up for a techinfo.toyota.com subscription at the "Professional Diagnostic" level. The shortest/cheapest US subscription is two days for $65, assuming you bring your own Windows laptop and J2534 dongle.

It looks as if the corresponding EU arrangement is € 5.00 for a day or € 10.00 for a week.

The dongle that Toyota tests and recommends is about $500, and of course you only need to buy one once. There are some midrange options in the $80 to $200 range, and then a bunch of knockoffs like the Mini VCIs around the $20 price point. It's a sad story with the Mini VCI, it was a real product from a real manufacturer called XHorse that did the work to develop an inexpensive J2534 dongle, and then got crushed by counterfeits. So you have gazillions of those for sale and they all say "XHorse" "Mini VCI" but as far as I know you can't get a real one anywhere at any price.

With the knockoffs, I haven't noticed a durability problem per se; if you get one that works, it'll probably keep working. At the price point they're sold at, there are quality assurance issues; well, really, at that price point, you're the QA department. If you buy one that doesn't work, the next one probably will. Some of them will work for some of the car's functions and not others, but you can mostly catch that by putting Techstream through as many of its paces as you can to see what does and doesn't work.

The one limitation (at least in the US) on Techstream licensing is if you want to subscribe in the category that enables the immobilizer key reset functions. That subscription doesn't cost any more than the Professional Diagnostic level, but you need proof you're a locksmith.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Excessive oil consumption is likely due to the piston/ring design. Toyota's service bulletin for remedying runaway oil consumption involves replacement of piston/rings, with revised components. The revised parts started being used part way through model year 2014, so your safest bet would be to only consider 2015's.

That said, our 2010 with 88k kms still consumes no oil, at least not discernible, checking the dipstick. My oil change intervals are VERY conservative though.

Do be prepared to clean EGR and intake though: neglected, they carbon-clog, engine runs hotter, and head gasket fails.

The above paragraph is just conjecture, I don't have the inclination or means to do testing. I just keep on top of the cleaning, will see how that goes.

PriusCamper likes this.
  8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    (y) for properly labeling conjecture.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. deis

deis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Well I've bought one now,

Thanks so much for the insightful help so far. Really glad to be here. I've ordered a new OBD2 reader as I lost mine, first thing I'll do is check the battery cells, battery fan filter and egr valve.