1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Considering a model 3

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by jackalope, Feb 21, 2023.

1. jackalope

jackalope Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    With our 2008 Prius getting up there in age, we are considering a replacement. I like the idea of the new prime, but fear that it will not really be available and its price will be quite high.

We are looking at a model 3 SR. With the tax benefits (fed + state) is comes out to around $34,000. Is anyone else considering a model 3 or does anyone have one now? What might you share about it with a forever Prius gen 2 owner?

I understand that the federal tax incentive might change in March, so time might be of the essence, but much is uncertain. Also, we will be able to take full advantage of the tax incentives.

Thanks!

bisco likes this.
  2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    best to get advice on the biggest Tesla forum.
    see below
    teslamotorsclub.com

Tideland Prius and jackalope like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I am strongly considering replacing my pip with an M3, if it nets out at 34k, it will be a lot cheaper than a prime.
    Only issue for me is, I might not be bright enough to drive one

#3 bisco, Feb 21, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2023
  4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I have owned three Prius, 2003, 2010, and 2017 Prius Prime. I've also owned a 2014 BMW i3-REx and now drive a Tesla Model 3 with 94,411 miles:
    • 2003 Prius Gen 1 - small sedan lost after 270,000 miles when an unrepairable part, the brake booster, failed.
    • 2010 Prius Gen 3 - a fine Prius sold at ~70,000 miles in preparation for the Prius Prime.
    • 2017 Prius Prime - traded in for the 2019 Model 3, got $18,300 credit bringing the Model 3 cost to $24,000.
    • 2014 BMW i3-REx - at 70,000 miles, the 72 mi EV range, PHEV went with ex-wife who loves it. It made the 25 mi EV Prius Prime into driveway art.
    • 2019 Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus - with 94,611 miles and ~8% battery degradation, it remains the best car I've ever owned.
    If purchase price is important and the 4-seats are not a problem, a used 2015-2016 BMW i3-REx would be a low cost, $15-18,000 way to start. The modified motorcycle engine gets you home when there are problems with CCS-1 fast DC chargers. Around town, it is a '10 stop' EV versus the '3 stop' Prius Prime. It easily handles 24x7 highway at 70 mph burning 39 MPG.

The 2019 Tesla Model 3 Standard Range has been and remains a dream. The increasing density of Superchargers has dovetailed with the expected 8% battery degradation. So I recently completed a 730 mile each way, trip to Arlington National Cemetery costing $60 going up in 50-60 F weather and $72 returning in freezing weather.

Like Autopilot, there is a learning curve for Tesla driving so I recommend:
    • Tesla Owners Forum - attracts technophiles and is moderated by Canadians, so it is low stress.
    There have been internal improvements since 2019 and rumors of substantial changes coming. Tesla incorporates their best technology throughout manufacturing so mileage is up and problems are down.

GOOD LUCK!

Bob Wilson

jackalope and Montgomery like this.
  5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If I remember the generalities of the federal tax credit correctly, the $7500 is split into two equal amounts. The car gets one half for the battery being assembled in North America or free trade partners. The other half is for having a certain level of battery minerals not coming from a 'hostile' country.

The latter is something the car companies, or anybody for that matter, had to keep track of for a regulation before. That requirement has been suspended for now, and every EV just gets that amount. Depending on how the mineral tracking process progresses, it may go into effect the end of March, or be delayed again.

Either way, you will at least get a $3750 credit for the Model 3.
    There are other options closer to a traditional car in instrumentation and driving. They might even be cheaper overall.

jackalope likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'll take a look around this summer, but i suspect most other companies don't have any stock. that's been the good thing about the M3, but it may not last, idk.

7. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I appreciate a non biased opinion of the Tesla. I simply love the look of the cars. The interior is so clean and simple. Should things continue in the direction for me and wife financially, I may go for it. Already have a Tesla Solar Roof (not panels.....entire roof!) with two back up batteries and I am living the dream of being off the grid.

hill and bisco like this.
  8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Recently a podcaster at Insiderev got a used, Model 3 with Full Self Driving (FSD) for a great price. The commercial dealer did not know the value of FSD and just priced it to move a 40,000 mile, Model 3.

If you buy a used Tesla from Tesla, they remove FSD. But if you buy a used Tesla from a 3d party, you can keep it.

Bob Wilson

jackalope likes this.
  9. jackalope

jackalope Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks everyone! This is all very helpful. I have always appreciated the reasoned information people share here. It is probably different from other online forums since we are Prius people. Getting similar information about Tesla is tough. There is so much hype, both in favor and against, that is often unrelated to how good/bad the car might be.

The information you shared here is helpful since it is objective and compares options with our Prius.

I liked the BMW i3, but it is a bit on the small size to replace our Prius. I worry about the cost of repairing a BMW out of warranty, especially since we keep our cars for a long time (15 years on our Prius).

My wife said no to the Chevy.

The leaf seems interesting and more similar to the Prius, but it seems fairly dated in its approach and not eligible for the fed incentive.

The M3 seems very good, though both of us are unsure if we would get used to the tablet replacing buttons and dials. I already dislike having to text people on my phone! :)

bwilson4web and bisco like this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    tablet worries me too. they say voice commands works, i'd have to try it.

i think the tesla will probably be a difficult and expensive repair after warranty, idk.

tires will be expensive

11. jackalope

jackalope Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I too worry about service accessibility and cost. I am so spoiled by our gen 2 Prius. I do like the newer safety features, but would not bother with self-driving. I dislike the trend towards larger and larger wheels and their associated increase in cost.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    another concern is trunk space and shape, i'm so used to the generous prius hatch

jackalope likes this.
  13. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Tideland Prius, jackalope and hill like this.
  14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Generally new buyers are most worried about the cost of replacing the traction pack. How long it will last. Here's an example of just how far their traction packs can go W/out replacement ;

Highest Mileage Tesla Now Has Over 420,000 Miles

Highest miles trophy for the relatively new in production model y is 300K.

This 2018 Tesla Model 3 Passed the 300,000-Mile Mark, Here's What You Need To Know - autoevolution

Of equal interest, in Germany there is a guy with a early production 2014 Model S that has gone over 1 million miles but thar car ison its 3rd battery. Still, dividing that many miles by 3 (packs) is still impressive. He's had to replace the motor too, but since it has a million mile warranty - that was free.
    ;)

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    And a different concern for people who want to keep the car forever is the old Prius battery problem.
    Old age and low mileage

16. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Old age and low miles can lead to problems in any car.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Idk, batteries seem to be the most vulnerable.
    My 2005 dakota w/ 30k runs like a champ

18. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My replacements were Prius style and priced.

Bob Wilson

19. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Our Ranger saw limited use. The grease in the brake calipers dried out. Leading to the pads dragging. Which overheated the rotors, and 'warped' them.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thats ford for you