1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Considering a Prius - Help Needed

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by SuperGLS, Jul 11, 2012.

1. SuperGLS

SuperGLS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi all!

We're about 85% set on buying a Prius as a replacement for my wife's 2004 Pontiac Vibe. I just have a few questions. I tried a few searches but didn't see anything.

1. We live in DC which is one of the "CARB states." However, there are no dealers in DC which means we'll be buying the car in VA. Will we still qualify for the 10 year/150K mile battery warranty?

2. Do we have to get the Clean Fuel/Hybrid license plates or can we keep our regular ones?

3. Buying a hybrid in DC means not paying any sales tax but one VA dealer says there is a 0.17% VA Dealer Business tax. Has anyone heard of anything like this?

Thanks in advance for everything.

2. SuperGLS

SuperGLS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Nobody seems to know about the 10 year/150K warranty. Been to two dealers today and they both said it's for California only. I called Toyota directly to see what they had to say.

They didn't even seem to know about the 10year/150K warranty for CARB states.

The following two links indicate that CARB states get the 10year/150K warranty.

Honda Owners Shocked by Civic Hybrid's Browned-Out Batteries - AutoObserver

Are hybrids durable? The 300,000 mile hybrid! :: Auto Upkeep Blog

It's still not clear if it's where the car is bought or registered? Maryland is a CARB state. Do I need to try to go to a dealer there and buy the car?

3. jabecker

jabecker driver of Prii since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you go to the Toyota owners site here: Toyota Online Owners Manuals and Technical Manuals you can look at the manuals for the car you are interested in buying, including the warranty info.

The "standard" warranty for the hybrid system is 96 months / 100,000 miles. CARB states have 120 months / 150,000 miles on the traction battery.

What you probably need to ask Toyota customer care is whether the warranty applies in the state the car was purchased, or the state the car is registered.

I have no idea on your other two questions.

4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You don't have to get new plates. If the plates are required to use HOV lanes without the proper number of occupants you may want to reconsider.

Office of the Chief Financial Officer: Sales and Use Taxes seems to indicate you are responsible for the 6% sales tax. They'll get you when you register the car.

Everyone is clueless on the warranty situation. It would be nice if Toyota had the backbone to offer the CARB warranty in every state but they don't. I'd trust the answer from a DC employee before believing Toyota or a dealer. IMO buying in a CARB state & registering in another CARB state can't be a problem.

Any dealer in the metro DC area should be licensed for DC. Additional state taxes may not be avoidable. Shop around. NJ is the closest CARB state outside of your region.

5. SuperGLS

SuperGLS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for the thoughts. No, the sales tax is definitely ok, no problem with that.

Bought the Prius Two last night (Blizzard Pearl with dark grey). Turns out because our trade in was only registered in my wife's name we have to get new plates anyway since this car is in both our names. DC is stupid like that. And, you've never lived in DC I see. You can't trust anything that any employee, especially a DMV employee, has to say. 95% of them are idiots.

I'm not super concerned with the extra warranty on the battery. The maintenance and service log indicates the extra CARB warranty but DC isn't listed as one of the places where it is valid.

6. jklarkin

jklarkin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm confused. Is Maryland a CARB state? I have a 2006 Prius that needs a new transaxle/transmission at 86,000 miles. Toyota says it isn't covered by a warranty. Help---any info or experience would be appreciated.

7. WD0AFQ

WD0AFQ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Good to see you found your car. We too grabbed a 2 this week. Kept our Vibe gt with 153k on it. Car has never had a problem so we may run it another 153 k. Many of the buttons and switches in the C are same as in the gt so not hard to switch from one car to the other. What is different is our 6 speed manual in the gt. Hope we dont forget to start the Vibe and push the clutch now, ha.
    Glad you found what you were looking for.
    Dan

8. SuperGLS

SuperGLS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think MD decided to follow CARB regulations after 2006 so I don't think you qualify, although I'm not sure how it works. I don't think the trans would be covered anyway.