1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Considering a Prius, Reliability?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by npro1464, Feb 26, 2011.

1. npro1464

npro1464 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know there are threads on this, but I was wondering, after the braking/acceleration fiasco settled and now that years have gone by, how is the gen II Prius's reliability? I am considering getting one before gas reaches $4/gallon, but I am bad with maintaining my cars and have no patience for cars over 100k. If I get, say an '08 with like 30-40k miles, what could I expect in the proceeding 3 years? 4 years? What type of issues does the Prius have? Are there any big issues I might bump into and have to shell out $2000 + for? Thanks!

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Prii have proven to be very reliable cars that have low maintenance costs. The little 12v battery tends to be weak and if stressed, will require replacement (about$200 since it it somewhat specialized - more at bad dealers). in the 7 years and 192k miles I have driven my 2004 there have only been a few issues:

1. The MFD (MultiFunctionalDisplay) had the classic failure that 2004-2005 Prii were subject to. I fixed it myself for free, but a dealer would have charged over $2k. Not a likely problem in later Prii.
    2. Steering column problem ($900). The subject of an early recall, but it had a recurrence later.
    Of course there is always the possibility of a problem in any car.

1. An electronics problem can be expensive, but there are salvaged parts that can keep costs down (dealers tend not to allow this). I replaced a failing CD player (actually the whole stereo unit) for $82 that way (any car stereo shop can do the installation inexpensively)
    2. The transmission should hold up well, especially if you do regular (60k mile intervals) ATF drain and refills (about $100 at a honest dealer). Otherwise this is an $8,000 dealer job (again a salvages part cuts this by 2/3).
    3. The engine is very reliable if you do your oil changes.
    4. Brakes last virtually forever (I am still on my original brakes) on a Prius.
    Good luck. JeffD

3. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Basically, the HID headlight bulbs and puny 12V battery are the only potential headaches on an '08 before you get to 100,000 miles. There are countless stories here about failure symptoms and replacement options. An 08 Prius with low mileage should give you many years and tens of thousands of miles without mechanical breakdown.

4. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I don't have nor do I want HID headlights. LED's, on the other hand, would be nice but are a little expensive.

JeffD

5. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Were LED's ever an option on the Gen2 prius? Or are they available as an upgrade?

Anyway I'm definitely looking forward to when we can use LED's for all lighting needs. They're really the most efficient option.

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    When you do have a failing 12 volt battery, replace it immediately, one of the most expensive repairs you can need on a Prius is caused by jumpstarting badly. So never jump start routinely. (and NEVER jumpstart any thing else)

And, if you are a paranoid like me, carry these.
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B002RRZX06?tag=priuschatcom-20

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No. It first appeared on the 3rd gen.

8. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The 2008 models should be even more reliable than my 2005 and I've never had any issues with my car in 127,000 miles I've owned it.

W ith the cheap cost of HID replacement bulbs and the ease of installation, I would go for it despite complaints. They are MUCH better than halogens.

1 person likes this.
  9. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Jeff -

Is there a precursor to MFD failure that one can look for before buying a used Prius? What is the failure and how did you fix yours?

Also, what was the steering column recall about?

I close to taking possession of an 05, so that is why I am asking.

Thanks.

10. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    It starts out as an intermittent problem, but gets progressively worse. Mine didn't act up till 6 years and 150k miles.
    Late 2005's have the corrected MFD design and are unlikely to exhibit the problem. Read: Prius MFD Thanks again Hobbit!
    Any good car stereo shop can remove/reinstall the MFD for you and if you choose, either:
    Plug In Hybrid Electric Vehicle PHEV (Indianapolis) or
    Peef - a very competent Engineer in CA who is active here on PC or
    Find a local Electronics Technician that is experienced in surface mount soldering.
    Can do the repair for you at a reasonable cost.
    2004 Through Early 2006 Prius Steering Intermediate Shaft Replacement Safety Recall Notice (SSC 60C) Received June 30, 2006;“In certain 2004 through early 2006 model year Prius vehicles, due to insufficient strength, a portion of the Steering Shaft Assembly may become loose or may develop a crack under certain operating conditions, such as when the wheel is turned forcefully to the locked position at low speed or the tire contacts roadside curbs while driving. If this condition has occurred on your vehicle, in some cases due to the components becoming loose and possibly rattling, an abnormal noise may be heard from the area of the Steering Shaft Assembly. The Steering Shaft Assembly consists of the Intermediate Shaft and Sliding Yoke which connects the steering wheel to the steering gear box. If this condition has occurred on your vehicle, in the worst case, you may lose vehicle steering control, thus increasing the possibility of a crash.â€

JeffD