1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

considering a prius. thoughts ?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by detroit11, Feb 21, 2013.

1. detroit11

detroit11 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ok ive never had a prius or hybrid, i realize this is a prius forum and likely most are pro prius.
    what are some things to consider , look for , and avoid ? I would be urchasing used. is the battery an issue after 8 years as originally feared ?
    this may not be in the right area feel free to move it :)

2. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Taxis are using Prius sedans and wagons and running strong through 250k miles and more on original batteries. As gas gets more expensive, the bargains in high-MPG cars gets scarcer.

I bought mine based on the experience of others and my son's multi-year ownership of the fastback, yet I choose the wagon. I expect it to last at least 10 years with me and then go on to someone else.

Maybe if you post your budget, location and your expectations, some comments appropriate to them can be posted.

cwerdna likes this.
  3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep.

OP should look at Lifespan/Operating costs - Prius Wiki.

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You need to give some ideas of your situation. Prius is an extremely practical and useful car, plenty of room for a family, plenty of room for hauling (not towing) things, top notch reliability, and low cost of ownership. If you need a muscle car going 0-60 in 2 secs, look elsewhere. If you need a luxury car, its good but not that good. If you want to save on fuel costs, can't beat it.

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    In CARB states the hybrid warranty is 10years/150000 miles. That initial fear was just FUD. You should be more concerned about replacing an engine or tranny in a conventional car.

The Prius is low maintenance, low operating cost, high reliability.

6. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Before I bought my Prius, I researched it for a good year beforehand, and on both sides of the fence (pro & against). I took the plunge this past September and am very glad I did.
    Prius met all of my expectations and then some. With a set of snow tires, this things a ROCKSTAR in the snow. The car has insulated me somewhat from the volatile gas prices here in Michigan. Not to mention, the gas savings alone from my old SUV make the car payment and pay the insurance every month :)

My advice to you: If you havent already, take one for a lengthy test drive. They arent for everybody and thats OK.

7. detroit11

detroit11 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2 and 3 year old. I drive about 300 miles to my parents every other month or so. lots of in town driving approx 15k a year. I am coming from a mini van so used to lots of room. I need space for kids with seats and a couple hockey bags, which I dont think would be an issue. I also mountain bike so not sure what I would do about that. I imagine they make some kid of rack that would work. i dont tow anything. I am trying to keep my total costs down, so I am of course concerned about maint. costs and replacement batteries etc. Snow driving is a concern, although I have driven rear wheel cars in the snow in the past and managed. ( kids make me concerned)
    I live in Indiana. I am looking to spend roughly $10-15k. Although seeing that the gen 3 loses the belts and others mechanical parts I am considering paying a bit more if I have to.
    I am not image conscious , ( was driving a mini van on purpose). I have a motorccycle for performance so I can mess around on that when I have the need for speed. So I am really looking to have something roomy enough for kids and stuff , convenient , and save me from the pump a litttle. I am considering , the Focus, altima, fusion stuff like that. Maybe the ford transit if i can find one cheap enough. anything else that would help?

ps. my moms husband worked for Ford for 40 years so he will have a heart attack if I dont buy american . lol

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like a Prius works to me. I saved one minivan but use Prius 80% of the time. If you put a roof top box on there (for the times you need it) you can sub for a minivan. You can fit a bike in the back with seats down, maybe with seats up if you take wheels off.

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  9. detroit11

detroit11 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    well that sounds pretty awesome. any thoughts on gen 2-3 things to note or look out for ? I think I would have any one I bought checked at the dealer.

10. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah, any Prius you look at take the VIN# and go to the Toyota's Owners Site and plug in the VIN. It will give you the full service history and any open recalls. You can get a really good idea how the car was maintained right there and see if any unexpected repairs came up.

Pull a carfax. Salvaged Prius are out there. You might not want one of those.

Make sure that if you are looking at a higher level Prius (equipped with HID headlights) that they both work. Drive the car and listen for any unusual noises. The Prius does have its share of sounds from various pumps and electric motors. Any grinding, etc.. is not normal.

If you know somebody with a scan-tool that can scan the car before you buy it to see if any pending codes exist or historical codes. Could save you some $$.

Just a few tips. This site is awesome and Im sure other members will chime in with some good stuff to look for. Good Luck!

11. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  12. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: ...the snow, I have not had a problem with it (had fun in Pittsburgh snowy hills a few week ago). But there is a generic design issue in that the front wheels cannot spin much due to electric motor burn out. If you live on the top of a long steep driveway covered with ice, we might advise against a Prius. When you buy tires, you have the choice of high MPG or good grip in wet and snow. I go with the latter and still get 47 MPG average on 2006 Gen2.

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  13. detroit11

detroit11 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    what the heck is that site ?? its very confusing lol
    Indianapolis by the way.

ok I figured it out. The prices didnt look great for rebuilt or salvage titled vehicles. Am I incorrect ?

14. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That is Autobeyours.com. It is run by Steve Woodruff (imwoody36 on here). He has been rebuilding Gen II Prius for a long time. I bought mine from him. He is willing to work with you on the price.

Yes he does charge more than most for a rebuilt/salvage titled vehicle but he also gives a 12 month/12,000 mile waranty. The blue 2008 looks like a good deal to me (I'm expecting you could talk him down about $1000.

I just figured I'd point it out to you as an alternative or something to consider. Not everyone is comfortable purchasing a rebuilt vehicle but Indy is close enough to Scottsburg to take advantage of the warranty.

15. Arsinowe Nile

Arsinowe Nile New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Priuses work well for Gauls.

16. NinnJinn

NinnJinn Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If nothing else PLEASE run the vin number like Prius guy said. It will save you time, money, and headaches. I bought a prius without looking up the vin and put over $1500 into it (inverter) within 60days of ownership.

2nd prius I wanted, I ran the vin and it is looking like it needs a new battery pack, new window actuator, and also is throwing Catalytic converter codes. They wanted 10,900 for the car and if I replaced everything listed above, I believe it would be close to another 5-6,000 through the dealer.

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  17. detroit11

detroit11 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

It looks decent enough to me, perhaps I should call him. I assume he doesnt have many complaints around here ?
    I have seen a few deals close to that and dont believe they are rebuilds :
    2009 Toyota Prius Red 50k Backup Camera Ipod 40+mpg Tinted Windows
    2007 Toyota Prius 1.5L Hybrid HID, NAV, Backup Cam, DVD, TVs, Bluetoot
    2008 Toyota Prius

just a few , about same price range and similar miles . thoughts ?

18. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You'll find that Steve sticks with Gen II Prius cars to keep costs down. His reputation around here seems good.
    The main advantages of the Gen III cars are high speed fuel economy and less intrusive traction control. This is all heresay from me--I have no experience with the Gen II.

19. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi detroit. You would be better off sticking to a Gen III (2010-current) with less miles and toys. Stay away from rebuilds of any kind, especially with your budget and having small children.

20. detroit11

detroit11 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    are all 2010 gen 3? and whats the types? type 2 etc? is that the same as gen?