1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Considering a Window tint

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Prius The First, Mar 31, 2007.

1. BethlehemPrius

BethlehemPrius New Member

I agree with Bobby when he stated about look at the car we are driving vs a sports car or a little boomer going down the street.

Don't think any gang members drive a prius yet, but who knows lol.

Personaly tint makes night time driving safer, greatly reduces glare in mirrors etc, if I ever get called on it, I would definately argue the point of that item!

I also wouldn't risk doing it myself, while it looks really easy, there really is a art when doing it.

Good luck :)

2. graphikzking

graphikzking Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was one that got pulled over!

I had a 2003 Black Hyundai Tiburon.. tinted at 30% all around.. and it was night time.. I was like the 3rd car stopped at a 4 point intersection.. cop drove by... pulled over on the road.. when I turned the corner.. bam pulled me over.. I had no idea what he was even stopping my for! I had the tint for over a year at that time and NEVER got stopped! I didn't have an aftermarket exhaust or rims or lowered or neon lights.. tint was the absolute ONLY thing done to the car..

But he gave me the ticket.. so I paid it .. moved on got rid of the car and bought a 350z convertible.. I HAD to have it tinted because I didn't want people to look inside and cut my top... I never have problems with that (But I only had that car for a year).

Now I have a Prius (well actually the GF drives it mostly because I am only 1 mile from work) and I want to get it tinted for the upcoming summer! I signed the PA petition to change our tint law! Did any of you! If not please do!!!!

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/...?ltl=1178225484

SIGN THE TINT LAW PETITION!!!

3. TheAnnoyingOne

TheAnnoyingOne New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Has anybody used Huber Optic Ceramic Tint?
    Supposedly it blocks IR and UV better that traditional films.

4. Darken

Darken Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BethlehemPrius @ May 1 2007, 02:31 AM) [snapback]433091[/snapback]</div>
    For those of us in PA when you see 'BethlehemPrius' pictures at 20% tint it really doesn't look that dark, and you can certainly still see inside the car. Another argument to change the PA tint law. Thanks to his pictures I'm not as worried in going for the darker tint now. B)

5. priusFTW

priusFTW Gen III JBL non Nav

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(graphikzking @ May 3 2007, 04:58 PM) [snapback]434991[/snapback]</div>
    Wanted to say 'Hi' to you and congrats on your Prius purchase. I am originally from NE Philly.

6. evfan

evfan New Member

I had my buddy (a "tinter" by profession) tint my windows last week. He did all of the windows except that small one right underneath the spoiler. He said that he never tints that window because it is already factory tinted. He told me the computer program his shop uses to cut tint doesn't even make a piece for it. He will gladly tint it for me if I want it done. It looks kind of light compared to the 15% on the rest of the car. Not sure what it will do to visibility, though. Does anyone else have it tinted? If so, can you still see through it?

7. jackovalltrades

jackovalltrades New Member

I had a professional tint mine just this week. Had the windows done at 32% except that small one underneath the spoiler. I had him tint that one at 38% and I can see through it just fine.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(evfan @ May 4 2007, 02:12 PM) [snapback]435556[/snapback]</div>

8. geekforums

geekforums New Member

Paid $200 for 5% tint all around inlcuding bra with lifetime guarantee and discounts when removing and reinstalling due to DMV inspections...

9. PHanna

PHanna Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bb513 @ Apr 12 2007, 09:47 AM) [snapback]421983[/snapback]</div>
    Who did it for you in SC?

10. geekforums

geekforums New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EarthCare @ May 5 2007, 09:10 PM) [snapback]436200[/snapback]</div>
    EarthCare, Hello Atlanta!!! I have family in Lawrenceville & Decatur. I wish I could move down south... Question about the pinstripe... Did you have yours painted or stickered? I would like to have my name on the drivers side and my wifes on the passenger side... Thanks...

11. PHanna

PHanna Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(geekforums @ May 6 2007, 06:53 AM) [snapback]436289[/snapback]</div>
    Lots of Jobs here and room for another Prius on the freeways, Come on down! Mine is not pinsriped. I think that part of your post was meant for another.

I am curious about your dash topper dash matt. I'll search on that one.

12. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Annoying One @ May 4 2007, 11:24 AM) [snapback]435431[/snapback]</div>

I had HO Ceramic Tint done on my Magnetic Grey this weekend. Amazing stuff when it comes to stopping heat transmission. I'll post some pic's here shortly.

The tint fellow said the Prius was a great car to use the Huber Optic on because the windows were quite flat and did not require much contouring of the thick tinit.

13. Sailfish11

Sailfish11 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(9G-man @ May 12 2007, 11:34 PM) [snapback]440854[/snapback]</div>
    I'd love to see those pics when you get them.

Also, does anyone know where I can get the huper optik tint in the upstate NY area?

14. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(9G-man @ May 12 2007, 11:34 PM) [snapback]440854[/snapback]</div>
    I think my camera is skewing the colors a little to the green side....but.....
    Here ya go. Huper Optiks 30%. This tint cost me, but it really works....No heat at all is transmitted through this film. $400.00 ouch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. robincx

robincx "Fear is the mind killer"

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  16. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    $169 for mine. 20% rear & hatch, 25% front. Windshield also got top strip thrown in for free.
    Lifetime guarantee.

These guys actually do volume for dealerships around town, including the Toyota one nearby.
    I couldn't be more pleased with their workmanship. Took them about 75 minutes.

17. desertbriez

desertbriez New Member

do the electronics on this car need ceramic? or is the metallic fine? we got ceramic when we tinted our acura so i could still have my a.m. (ya..... i like talk shows) and to avoid any potential problems with the navi.....

but if the antenna on the rear and the navi under the dash???????? aren't affected (effected?) by the metal... it is cheaper....

(dyed 179.... but i wouldn't get that.... metal mid 200... didn't catch the price... ceramic 369)

18. priuscali07

priuscali07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If you stay away from fully metalized film you are ok. There are composite films that are metallic plus dyed layers that are also lifetime warranty, and will not interfere with your electronics. This is good news or elese everybody would be coughing up the $400+ for ceramic.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desertbriez @ May 24 2007, 08:21 PM) [snapback]449560[/snapback]</div>

19. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    $275 = 5% all back, 35% on windshield with visor, 15% on front windows.
    That dark on a black prius looks very nice.

20. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I just had a mobile service come to the house and do the 07 HyCam, cost me $170.00 ...... ;) B)

front doors 22% rear 15% "dark" (Llumar) black on black. I will post pics soon.

The Mobile service was out of Winter Springs Fl. :)