1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Considering a Window tint

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Prius The First, Mar 31, 2007.

1. celendis

celendis Junior Member

Does anyone know of a reputable window tint company here in the Seattle metro area?

I'm looking to get my brandy new 2007 with some quality window tinting. <strike>I'm also looking to research the maximum tint allowable by the law in Washington state.</strike>
    That was easy; Google said Tintcenter.com would tell me the answers.

Thanks all!

2. Hryb

Hryb electic

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I am also looking for a place in the Seattle Area.

I looked at Mr. Tint in Bellevue and they wanted $299 for 35% (max in WA) but I can't find anyone with any experience with them.

3. celendis

celendis Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hryb @ May 26 2007, 11:58 AM) [snapback]450489[/snapback]</div>
    $299 seems high; I called one place (I forget who), and they quoted $220. I am still researching.

4. jimmylozza

jimmylozza New Member

I just paid $289 (including tax) for metallized tint (including the little front windows, but no windshield strip). Looks so much better, and the metallized tint really blocks out the heat well.

5. Jarhead 0311

Jarhead 0311 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(9G-man @ May 14 2007, 06:04 PM) [snapback]441985[/snapback]</div>
    Wow! that huper optik looks incredible! I had my 06 Prius done by a fellow USMC disabled veteran who owns Top Dog Mobile Window Tinting in San Diego. He didnt mention the huper film but he swore the "3M would never go purple" Was honest and forthright as he explained how metalic film can disturb radar detectors, cell service & cause visibility problems at night with reflections. Not that I a need radar detector but cell service & night driving are important to me. $300.00 for everything including Visor tint, as well he put %5 on the front porthole window and it gave the profile a less asthenic image. I had nothing to do but wait for him to finish, by the way we both being DAV's it probably took him a little longer than usual but he was precise, respectfull & I have had no trouble with the 3M film. I do like taht Huper look though.

Attached Files:

6. desertbriez

desertbriez New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jarhead 0311 @ May 26 2007, 02:22 PM) [snapback]450543[/snapback]</div>

what percent did you get on the rest of the windows? it looks like the front is 35%? and the back 205?

what did you put on the rear bottom window?

i love the idea of 5% of the little window! i was gonna to 35% to match the front but i think the blacked out will look better!

7. Hryb

Hryb electic

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Celendis @ May 26 2007, 11:28 AM) [snapback]450512[/snapback]</div>

Agreed...it does seem high. I'll call around this week as well. Let me know what you find out.

8. desertbriez

desertbriez New Member

we just paid $339 for all 10 windows, done with the non-metallic (ceramic) film.

we got the darkest they had, which was 15% and it's still too light.... but it still looks good....

9. Sir-Lanceimnot

Sir-Lanceimnot New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desertbriez @ May 31 2007, 10:32 AM) [snapback]452653[/snapback]</div>
    You beat me to the punch. I was going to post about it. :(

10. priusincc

priusincc Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just got mine tinted today. US$180.00 for all 9 windows, except windshield just got strip at top. 13% all rear and 32% on front side (max allowable). All looks good, even windshield strip over dimples behind rearview mirror. It has "lifetime" warranty, but guy didn't say who's. It doesn't feel like I'm driving around in an aquarium anymore. :rolleyes:

Update (6/11/07):
    Well this little tint job turned into a nightmare. The tint guy got carried away with his heat gun, and distorted the passenger door pillar plastic and left a gouge in the LR door sill. :angry: He is making good on his errors and is replacing the door pillar plastic and the whole door panel. Should cost him about $400+ in parts. People considering tint jobs should warn the shops the door pillar plastic seems to be overly sensitive to heat. This has happened to at least one other person.
    [attachmentid=8773][attachmentid=8774]

Attached Files:

11. bobdavisnpf

bobdavisnpf Member

In Seattle area: Bellevue Auto Tint, $275+tax, 35% charcoal Johnson Silhouette, aluminum-sputter film. My #1 concern was heat control, and Jim did an excellent job of discussing IR vs visible vs UV light, seemed to have a good handle on which films were best for IR blockage while minimizing visible-light blockage. We looked at 6 different 35% films and I pretty much got to pick my favorite from those... I think he stocked 20 or more films. Lifetime satisfaction guarantee but it doesn't cover "accidents, abuse or neglect"...

The front windows seem to be a bit lighter than the back windows or rear deck... is that the stock windows, or due to the un-tinted windshield, or do you suppose he might have used 45% on the front windows?

Cheers,
    Bob

12. Hryb

Hryb electic

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bobdavisnpf @ Jun 12 2007, 08:51 AM) [snapback]460166[/snapback]</div>

Bob, good to know...did you do all the windows? Or just the side ones?

13. uclabruins

uclabruins Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Got Llumar tint at 35%. All windows except windshield for $160 in LA in July 2006.

[attachmentid=9045]

Attached Files:

14. blzlovr

blzlovr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    Just got my Prius tinted, 35% front side - 20% back and rear. So far I like it. Picture Perfect in Signal Hill, CA was recommended by this group. He gives a discount to PriusChat.com group members, 175.00. Lifetime warranty - SunTek film. I will post pictures later.

15. alexilic

alexilic Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Had mine tinted last week. 20% on the back and 35% on the front. Most people don't notice there is a difference. I forgot which brand it was, but it blocked 98.9% of UV rays. I also liked the color of this one. It wasn't cheap, $320 including windshield strip. This is lifetime warranty. I called a couple of places in the north chicagoland area, and they all quoted similar. I used Midwest Tinters in Mt. Prospect.

Attached Files:

16. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    Beware in Harrisburg, tint-nazis are out. My sig Other just got pulled over today for tint. We just moved here from S. Dakota and her silver '05 has 35 % pro-installed non-reflective tint. Guess 70% is some sort of number pulled on her. all the websites for PA say no numbers are on the books for tint %, just illegal if you can't see into the vehicle. VERY VAGUE! Yes, you can see into her vehicle. Wow, with ALL the other speeders and reckless tailgaters and loud music cars and limo tint out there, the cops are worried about someone's tint-level in a safely driven car. UNBELEIVABLE! It just sucks when such a vague law can be interpreted so many ways...

Needed to rant, but also looking for advice in this matter. Thanks...

PS Ticket says to go have the tint removed, then show up at the cop shop to prove it was removed. Like, 5 days. Nice, like she hasn't got anything better to do.

17. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I had mine tinted at Made in the Shade in the Phoenix (Mesa) area. It was $290 for 3M Colorstable. I got it Arizona legal: 35% in the front windows and 5% in the back, and nothing on the windshield or lower hatch window. The job was excellent -- no blemishes or damage to the car.

18. msirach

msirach Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chitown guzzler @ Jun 20 2007, 08:09 AM) [snapback]465135[/snapback]</div>
    Wow! I thought our car had been stolen! We live in the far South end of Illinois. Had our Black Touring tinted Illinois legal: 20% all windows except driver's and passenger's. People continually get hammered by the police down here. My wife was adamant that it be legal.

It was $170.

19. stumpy_c

stumpy_c New Member

$185 for all windows except the windshield from a local tinting shop. Nice install and guaranteed for life.

20. LoreePrius

LoreePrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I payed $219 for my window tint and I didn't get the two front windows (driver/passenger) & the windshield done.