1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Considering an M3 - wondering if I'll need a couple more solar panels

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by jerrymildred, Sep 7, 2021.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i feel the same way. i'd like to replace our hycam, but not until we're back to normal. it's a 13 with 75k and runs fine.

jerrymildred likes this.
  2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Dang, guess my 2017 Tesla Model 3 was very timely. <GRINS>

Still, let me suggest looking at a used, end-of-lease, BMW i3-REx:
    • Four seats yet easily handles 24x7 cross country drive if needed
    • 18 - 38 kWh battery enough to easily handle daily city drives
    • Tesla Model 3 fast (treated as a UFO in Mississippi)
    • Get a 2" receiver kit and tow pretty much anything (include light kit)
    The Fast DC charging is a lethargic, 50 kW, but the Range Extender engine (Rex) handles premium and plus. Coded, you can get about 1.25 hours of driving to the next truck stop to add ~2.4 gallons.

Bob Wilson

jerrymildred likes this.
  3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I hear you loud and clear. My investment account from the all-time high just 3 months ago has nosedived, wiping out almost entire gains from the last year. In my case, the 2021 PP purchased just before the Toyota rebate was reduced is the only "investment" that is in plus territory. I may or may not buy a replacement vehicle which may or may not be a BEV. But since we can live with only one car, I am seriously thinking of selling my 2021 PP while its value is high.

bisco and jerrymildred like this.
  4. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree. What really disturbs me is how the price of gas has gone up, despite the fact of automobiles getting better gas mileage every year. The same thing applies for homeowners who have gotten solar electricity. Our bill goes to zero, the utility companies profits dip, so in comes the "surcharges" to make up the difference. Hey, I got an idea for you utility companies, why don't you build your own solar panel grid on all your sites to help cut down your cost?

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what are you guys investing in? my stock account is up 10% in the last 12 months, plus it's almost all dividend stocks, for an average of 5%.

6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm up 11% over this date last year. But I'm down 6% since January 1 this year. I'm roughly half stock and half bonds. Looking at the charts, I see a pretty big dip around this time of year almost every year over the past 10 years.

bisco likes this.
  7. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I'm up 6% over this date last year. Up 47% over the last two years. Very conservative investments.

bisco and jerrymildred like this.
  8. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, the last few years have been pretty insane. We were due for a bit of a correction. And then toss in the outrageous inflation rate and the prospect of a war to increase the energy shortage and it's a bit more of a correction than I hoped for.

But on the plus side, we now have enough in checking and savings that I think I can pay off the house next week. That'll improve the cash flow.

nancytheprius, bisco and dbstoo like this.
  9. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    The smartest thing we ever did was pay off the house early. Removing that extra $2000 (pretax) from our monthly salary allowed me to retire (comfortably) 8 years earlier than I planned. It also removed some dependence on the performance of the 401K. :)

Montgomery and jerrymildred like this.
  10. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    A) The fleet efficiency over the last decade has gotten better, but at a very slow rate.
    B) While individual vehicles have, on average, gotten slightly more efficient, the number of vehicles is greater.

Of course, there are many other factors for the price of gasoline. And while individual choices can determine how much you pay for gas, those choices alone have a negligible affect on the cost of gas.

jerrymildred likes this.
  11. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    And recently, not helped by the switch to SUVs and their aero efficiency. I own one. My wife's car, same engine and essentially same drive train, gets 12% better MPG than mine. That sedan (Avalon) is being discontinued. (Both hybrids BTW)

jerrymildred and Zythryn like this.
  12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It has? I'm remembering even higher prices back in 2008. This chart, going back only 10 years, is not adjusted for inflation:
    upload_2022-2-12_18-34-56.png

But consumers have been switching from efficient passenger cars to less-efficient trucks, SUVs, and crossovers, stymieing increases in overall fleet average MPG. Many who didn't voluntarily switch, are being forced to switch by manufacturers discontinuing the more efficient cars. While total gasoline consumption did fall from 2004 to 2012, it then rose again every year before the pandemic-driven economic slowdown.

The utilities still have costs to maintain your lines, provide the 'battery storage' benefits of net metering, and transport that net-metered energy back and forth to your house. It is selfish to expect to get those services for free.

My utility has an account charge simply to be connected. It is currently about $80/year, but it would be perfectly reasonable and fair at twice that amount. When my solar system first reached net zero, it also had enough annual surplus to drive my total bill to $0, with the utility getting about 1000 kWh/year of free energy in return.

State law has since changed, so that our solar surplus no longer offsets any of the base account charge. But our usage has also grown, so we are no longer giving away much surplus.

They don't qualify for the same government incentives that we residential consumers received (and expired for me two years ago). And even if they had qualified, those incentives were capped at levels too low to have given them much overall benefit.

#32 fuzzy1, Feb 12, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2022
    jerrymildred likes this.
  13. Merkey

Merkey Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just out of curiosity, how much do property taxes hit you each month?

14. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I'm not an expert on how they have it set up in your area, so I could be wrong, but the excess energy generated by YOUR solar does not get transported beyond the nearest neighbor (or neighborhood) load. That's one of the basics of electricity. You are actually reducing their need for transmission facilities when you make more power than you need at the moment. On the other hand, the power that you use from the grid is transported from a power generation source somewhere to your load.

The ones who are being selfish are the power companies.

Montgomery likes this.
  15. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As an electrical engineer myself, I'd say that portion becomes just a semantic argument, due to additional "basics of electricity" principles in the first example listed here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superposition_principle#Other_example_applications

or here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superposition_theorem

The physical local transmission facilities needs do not get adjusted "at the moment", but are set by peak demands, which in this climate zone always happens in the dead of winter when regional residential solar production is zilch. So our solar production does not reduce their need for transmission facilities at all.
    And that still has a cost to them, even though I'm a net-zero customer.

And that service they provide has real value to me, allowing me to avoid the five-figure cost of installing several Tesla Powerwalls or similar home energy storage.
    I still assert that the selfish ones are the grid-tied net-zero customers who demand $0 bills. They already have the choice of severing their grid ties to save the cost of those connection fees. But outside of a few solar-hostile places, severing that grid connection will be far more expensive than maintaining it.

FWIW, my service provider is a publicly owned utility, not a private company. While I do have some complaints about the management, profit greed is not one of them.

#35 fuzzy1, Feb 13, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2022
    Trollbait and jerrymildred like this.
  16. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I wish I were an EE. Math is, unfortunately, my weak spot. But there was a section of the referenced WIKI that said something that seems to indicate that the superposition theorem does not apply to power systems.
    It never occurred to me that in Washington the peak electricity demand was in winter. Here the peak is the summer months for air conditioning.

17. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You over-interpret. It still works in power systems for figuring currents and voltages, which is what the lines actually carry. It is just actual power (which travels in the space around the wires, not in them) that can't be figured piece-wise.
    The Pacific Northwest's installed base of direct electric resistance heat (for space heat, water, cooking, and clothes drying) is still huge, a legacy of once-cheap electricity and fairly common lack of natural gas service. As a long ago college prof stated, peaked demand here is at about 7 a.m. on some very cold dark morning of early February, as people wake up, turn on the lights, crank up the thermostats, step in the shower, and turn on the kitchen stove. Appliances are better and sources have significantly shifted since, but the overall story remains similar.

But air conditioning is still far from universal in much of the Pacific Northwest, so we can't (yet) create peak demand that way even if we tried. While that is slowly changing, driven partly by hotter summers, it remains far behind the rest of the country.

#37 fuzzy1, Feb 13, 2022
    Zythryn likes this.
  18. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yup! Our mortgage is only $308/month and we've been paying an extra $100/month, so that'll give us a $408/month raise. We will have paid off our 15-year mortgage in just over seven years. (Putting 50% down and not buying a huge house helps!)

Last year our annual payment was a little over $600, so about $50/month. We pay annually.

Amen!! Duke Energy just imposed a minimum monthly payment of $30. I don't mind paying that compared to buying batteries (and replacing them) plus the extra expense of the rest of the system to control the batteries. But then there are those two identical bills in the FL house & senate that would do away with net metering. That would be just plain theft if they pass.

I find Kirchoff's Current Law helpful and don't mess with superimposition since everything is 60Hz. (The algebraic sum of currents in a network of conductors meeting at a point is zero.) For a simplified example, if my house and one other house are on the same transformer secondary, that secondary is a node. Say the other house is using 20A and I'm putting 10A into that node from my panels. According to Kirchoff, the current from the utility into that secondary connection feeding the two houses is 10A. (-20 + 10 + 10 = 0) If the panels are not producing at all and I'm also using 20A, then the utility has to put 40A into the node to satisfy Kirchoff. (-20 + -20 + 40 = 0) On the other hand, if the neighbor shuts off everything and only draws 1A while I'm putting out 10A, then for the current to be zero in that node, 9A has to be going back through the transformer and into the grid. (-1 + 10 + 9 = 0)

It doesn't take too many customers doing that before it makes a noticeable reduction in the utility's fuel bill. But the weather is still doing its thing on the wires, poles, substations, etc. at the same rate. And all that needs to be maintained. It's not a simple formula. Kind of like figuring out how to fund highway maintenance and construction with the increase in hybrids and EVs. But we already have lots of discussions on that elsewhere in the forum. :)

#38 jerrymildred, Feb 13, 2022
    mikefocke, fuzzy1, dbstoo and 2 others like this.
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    our property taxes are $1,000. per month :cool:

Salamander_King likes this.
  20. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Kirchhoff, Thevenin, Norton, superposition, ... there are so many different ways to look at it, that is why I had to say "that portion becomes just a semantic argument".

jerrymildred likes this.