1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Considering an M3 - wondering if I'll need a couple more solar panels

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by jerrymildred, Sep 7, 2021.

1. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    :eek: Holy crapoly!!!!!:eek: So that's why it's called "Taxachusetts."

Salamander_King and bisco like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yep :(

one reason my brother moved to florida

3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My daughter in Boston pays no property tax... because she can't afford it. Yep, they have been renting for the last ~10 years or so, paying over $2K/mo for a two-bedroom apartment. Crazy expensive.

bisco and jerrymildred like this.
  4. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My guess would be that the landlord built the tax he pays into the rent payment, so she pays it but doesn't know how much it is. ;)

One thing that helps us here is the homestead exemption which reduces the tax on the property lived in by the owner. If I bought another house, rented this one out, and ported the exemption to the new house, the tax on this one would go way up. But I don't think it would hit blue state levels. But I would have to factor that into the rental price or there would be no profit in keeping it and making it available to a renter.
    https://floridarevenue.com/property/Documents/pt113.pdf
    Edit to add: Yes. That does sound crazy expensive.

Merkey and Salamander_King like this.
  5. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since you work in the industry, I can't refute anything you have stated due to a lack of personal knowledge. I do have my own storage system and I run off my own generated power day and night based on my generated power. That is where I am coming from.

6. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The rental property can be a lucrative passive income if you have that kind of resources to begin with. For our area, the summer rental business is very popular. Airbnb must have made it easier to rent one's house or cottage or anything livable. I know of a teacher with 9 months contract who moves out of her house and rents her house during summer. She makes enough money on weekly rental of her house in three summer months to pay the entire year of the mortgage plus summer rental out of town. A clever way to finance a house, if you don't mind the lifestyle of a college student. LOL

jerrymildred likes this.
  7. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We stayed at a nice Air BnB in Waterville, ME while we were up there last year. We had the whole downstairs except a couple closed off rooms and the owners were upstairs. I would guess that in the off season, they resume living in the whole house.

Salamander_King likes this.
  8. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I came to a conclusion yesterday. I decided on an Ioniq 5. Bolt is cheaper, but the reason I decided basically, that at 69, it's OK to have a little fun even if it isn't the most frugal thing on the option list. I like the comfort of the Ioniq 5 and it's more road trip capable. I had a cash offer of over $20k on the '17 Prius Prime.

So, with the wife on board, I went over to the nearby Hyundai dealer with my title and a cleaned out car ready to try to work a deal on the white SE their website said was on the lot. (They also said they had a Limited, but at over $57k dollars, that was a little TOO much fun.)

Shucks! It was sold. (Probably been sold for a long time, if you ask me.) So I'm now on a list that they say is about three months long. So much for trying it out on our August trip to Ohio. Oh well, this gives us time to be (hopefully) a little better prepared financially.

I told them I'd like a light color, 2 wheel drive, and either an SE or SEL. That should make for a shorter wait and specifying a certain color and trim. Maybe we'll have it in time for the October trip to Ohio.

#48 jerrymildred, Jul 9, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2022
  9. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Even if there was one unsold, the price is likely to be market adjusted. You may have a much better deal when the market settles a bit. Patience is a virtue. ;)

jerrymildred likes this.
  10. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They say it's MSRP.

11. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If they are really dealing at MSRP, then they are the very few honest dealers remaining in the nation in the current market situation. Priced at MSRP without any dealer options added is the minimum requirement for me. Local Ford, Kia, and Hyundai dealers I have checked in the last few months had $2-3K dealer mark-ups. At least they were all upfront about price gauging practice. Toyota, on the other hand, would not even consider taking an order for bZ4X. I am still waiting to hear from the Subaru dealer on my reservation of Solterra. Due to the recall, it seems September is the earliest I can test drive it.

jerrymildred likes this.
  12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Pick two:
    • Good
    • Fast
    • Cheap
    GOOD LUCK!

Bob Wilson

jerrymildred likes this.
  13. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL. "Fast" is never a desirable trait in the car for my choices. I will go with affordability and utility as top traits for my next car.

14. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    My Mini Cooper was MSRP a couple months ago.
    I know what you mean though, there are a lot of ‘market adjustments’ being added.

15. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, Tesla always sells their cars at MSRP... sorta... As Tesla, there is not a single Mini dealer/service center in our state. Thus a Mini Cooper is not on my shopping list. Checked a VW dealer for ID4, but that car is even harder to find than Ford, Kia, and Hyundai BEVs.

#55 Salamander_King, Jul 10, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2022
  16. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    "Sorta" being the all-important adverb, of course.

Tesla kept hiking the price, the Hyundai dealer wants bribe money and can't seem to find Ionic 5s anymore, plus Sleepy Joe removing the tax break.

Meanwhile Chevy LOWERS the Bolt price and I found one on the lot and snagged it in the 15-minute window between when it became available and when someone else showed up to buy it.

Getting back to the topic of the thread:

We have had the Bolt for three and a half weeks. Will I need more solar panels? It doesn't look like it. September was the worst solar production month in the year and a half since the installation. And it was just barely enough. Had it not been enough, we still have 1.9 mWh "in the bank" to draw from.

Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 6.54.26 AM Large.jpeg

So we got by with the full EV in a month that produced 200 kWh less than typical. I think this is going to be fine, at least while I have this part time job where I can charge for free at work 2-3 days a week. It really helps that this Bolt EUV is so surprisingly efficient. I'm getting close to 5 m/kWh with it compared to the 5.1 the Prime averaged.

And then there is the occasional day like yesterday. Not a cloud in the sky all day. Only ran the air conditioner a few minutes around suppertime. And put 11 kWh into the Bolt. Looks like this week will be almost that sunny every day.
    Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 7.11.34 AM Large.jpeg

Merkey and Salamander_King like this.
  17. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Glad to see @jerrymildred posting. Hope you and all others down there are doing better day by day. How bad was it in your area?

Merkey and jerrymildred like this.
  18. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    You have the perfect use case for an EV Jerry...cool stuff!

With that said, the vast majority of people don't have your setup...renters being the worst as far as charging availability goes. That is part of the reason why I have a hard time seeing widespread use of EVs anytime soon ( and YES...the folks around here *are* early adopters ). (y) Also, didn't I just read that Tesla is jacking up the price of supercharger use?

19. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Renters do have a less convenient time charging at home, that is true.
    However, the majority of car owners are not in apartments. I would consider 25% of the market as "widespread". We are easily at that level of the market with convenient charging.

I haven't seen any recent SC cost increases. If you have a link I'd be interested.
    In Minnesota it is currently $0.23 or $0.46/kWh depending upon location and/or time of day.

#59 Zythryn, Oct 2, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2022
  20. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Hmm...say what? I guess full apartment parking lots are an illusion then...(y)

I saw some chatter out there about rising supercharger rates. I don't really follow it too closely but it looks like primarily in CA for now. Here is one of the articles :

https://electrek.co/2022/09/28/tesla-hikes-supercharger-prices-california/

The takeaway seems to be that "Tesla is passing rising energy costs onto the customer". Whatever the reason, rate hikes are happening.

Edit : Also saw this on a Reddit thread :

"50 c/kWh in a Model 3 which gets 3.4 mi/kWh = 14.7 c/mi to fuel. Even worse, if you don't drive much since the Model 3 decays away 6 miles of range per day just sitting in the driveway.Tesla Model 3: Efficient On Paper, But Really Depends On The Driver.

In contrast, the base Prius gets 58 mpg, so at $4.50/gal = 7.7 c/mi to fuel (about half the Tesla), plus costs half as much to buy. You can do better charging at home, but not in San Diego where night residential rates are 50 c/kWh and peak is 65 c/kWh.
    "

Again....I don't know much about charging costs, etc...but thought the statement was interesting, if true. I'm pretty sure most folks are not charging at 50 c/kWh though. But for those that are forced to...ouch. o_O

#60 farmecologist, Oct 2, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2022
    Merkey likes this.