1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Considering Buying a PiP... Please Check My Math

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Sedition, Aug 6, 2013.

1. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...hope its not me...I have been a PiP enthusiast for about 12 months now...and Sedition is a fellow north Virginian

2. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't know how others feel but I encourage non owners to comment. It's our way to convince them it's a great idea to own one. It helps spread the word. OP's opening post spoke of a wall charger cost. This is not necessary with the PiP's short charge time. And finally, we are a small segment of the Prius population which itself is a small segment of the whole auto industry. It'd be a lonely place if we just congratulate each other on buying a great car. I post on all the forums including C and v. I don't intend on getting those cars because of Goldilocks. I hope they welcome me as well.

3PriusMike likes this.
  3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So how are you leaning? Last year the 2012 PiP deals got really hot in late Sept thru December. Of course, no guarantee for this year so ...

The best deal we had last year guy from WV went to NY got two PiPs (one for his Dad) for $25.5k then he got $2500 Fed + $7500 WV tax rebates so 2PiP for $16k. It would be worth moving to WV, except they stopped their rebate.

4. gas zipper

gas zipper New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Check out fueleconomy gov

5. pwp1943

pwp1943 PHEV Afficionado

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

They're pretty easy to spot by their lack of constructive narrative and their obvious disdain for any Toyota product.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nope.:) if i have to point it out, i'm probably wrong.;)

7. Sedition

Sedition New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

My heart is definitely leaning towards PiP. I'm getting all infatuated with this car.

As I think more and more about how I am interfacing with the dealer(s), I'm starting to worry that I may let my emotions get the better of me. If I can save a grand or two by waiting until September... That's only three weeks away.

Like there is absolutely no reason to believe the 0% financing is going to go away next month. Logically, the incentives have to get better, as we get closer to the 2014 roll out.

I may continue to hit up dealerships to collect names of dealers to put on my RFP list. I've got to stay cool and calm... and then Strike!

8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

What do you mean? PiP has the same battery warranty as a regular Prius.

I have been driving a Prius since 2006. I have about 173k miles under my belt. I am still enjoying the engine off EV driving. PiP with bigger battery and higher EV speed makes it even better.

retired4999 and 3PriusMike like this.
  9. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I fess-up! :D

10. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The 0% financing has been going on and off for at least a year now. I don't see any reason why it should go away. Last year's huge PiP price drop happened in September/October. I'd wager the same thing will happen this year since the recent price reduction of the Volt brings the after rebate cost below that of the PiP base. I think Toyota will have a tough time selling a PiP for more money than a Volt. The PiP price has to go down.

11. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK good. We have at least one active north Virginian PiP owner here DadofHedgehog if you have some questions. And -1- Don is in "southern" VA and he really likes his PiP a lot. DadofHedgehog got into the Dominion power plug-in program for cheaper overnite charging, but we don't know if that program is still available. When we had the good deals last Fall, it seems the big dealers on the Beltway both MD and VA were mentioned the most, many came from out of state especially to MD ( as you may know only 14 states CA OR WA AZ VA MD NJ NY NH ME MA RI VT CT (by memory, somebody check me) were the orig roll-out states for PiP.

12. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    What, it's strange that someone joins a few days ago, owns a non-PiP Prius, has unfavorable opinions about the PiP, and posts here (not regular Prius boards) for the first time?;)

13. fortytwok

fortytwok Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    for what its worth I did all my negotiating via phone and email
    no emotions while typing

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's what happened to me, i was a luvsick early adopter.:love: cost me 5K in less than a year.:eek: hold your ground man! don't fire 'til you see the whites of their eyes!:p

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nahhhhhhhhhhhhh...

16. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I believe good deals will happen at the end of the year...with the 4th gen just around the corner and all. The 2014 PiP is taking an awfully long time to come out for a reason it seems....

There are 2 Toyota announcements happening, one in September and one at the end of this month regarding their future idea of EVs/hybrids. Might not show the 4th gen yet, but maybe the new synergy drive and proofs?

17. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Probably true as far as end of year being good deals, the only thing I can think of working agin' it would be national roll-out of PiP beyond orig 14 PiP colonies.

18. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The next model years traditionally don't come out until December/January with the Prius. So...it's not late at all.