1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Considering High Mileage Prius

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Shrekit, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Shrekit

Shrekit New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello everyone, I've been really interested in the Prius and have done a lot of research on it. So I've decided to let it be my first car, and found a dealer willing to negotiate a 2010 Prius III at $4500 or below. The only problem is that the mileage is above 241k, which seems incredibly risky.

The Carfax shows that it once colided with a parked vehicle in 2010, but despite the collision, the body of the car looks near mint. It's been inspected and checked out fine. Everything else has been basic maintenance, with the exception of a few bulbs and spark plugs having been replaced at around 130k. . I know that when a Prius is well maintained (which according to its record, appears to be the case) it'll last well over 250k, but should I even bother with this particular car?

There's always a 2008 for $4500 with 2 owners and a cleaner carfax, but it has 171k and a lien. (As you can see, I have a very tight budget) Plus it lacks the power mode the 2010+ models have; something that makes this car's dismal acceleration much easier to deal with.

Silvertn350 likes this.
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you have a tight budget, you should avoid any Prius that has over 180000 miles. Anything can go wrong with that car after that point, and it's usually not cheap to fix at a dealer (unless you have DIY time, it might be less expensive)

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! it all depends on your objectives. if you need a reliable car, and would have a problem with a serious malfunction, move on. if you like rolling the dice when the odds are in your favor, and can handle a few thousand in repairs should they come up snake eyes, go for it.

i seriously doubt the 2010 is going to take the 'dismal' out of acceleration. all the best!(y)

4. Silvertn350

Silvertn350 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have bought and sold over 70 cars in my lifetime ( part time side gig). If it was me, 241k is pushing the envelope a little. I understand you are on a budget but in my opinion there are a few other reliable cars that get good MPG in your price range without the risk of so many miles. First I am not knocking the prius at all, I recently purchased a 2013 and its the best car I have owned so far. That's why I chose the prius as our family car. But as a real world example a Nissan Versa, there is a 2009 with only 54k miles in my area for 6k, I know its not a hybrid but with a small 4 cylinder it would still achieve good mpg while not adding in the cost of maintaining a high mileage hybrid battery. Cheap and easy to maintain and in my opinion would be a safer bet than a super high mileage prius .Just some food for thought.

Starbrand likes this.
  5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not what someone may want to hear, but my opinion is with a budget as tight as yours, I wouldn't even consider Prius. Especially the high mileage Prius you are looking at.

I have to agree with the idea that perhaps a Non-Hybrid option would be your best "first car". Or if you can continue saving?

IMO, if you are buying a Prius with that much mileage on it? At the very least you need to have either the automotive DIY skills to do a lot of repair OR the financial resources to pay for the rather inevitable maintenance issues that might arise.

If just purchasing the car in the first place, max's out your budget, it leaves you in a very precarious position.

vskid3 and JC91006 like this.
  6. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Just a note, the power mode just changes the throttle mapping so that it kicks in sooner, which feels more powerful to most people. Flooring it in any of the modes results in the same amount of acceleration. The Gen3 is a little more powerful than the Gen2 because of the bigger engine, not because of an extra button.

7. Shrekit

Shrekit New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Very interesting, as it changes my perspective on it's supposed 'power.' I'm assuming that it will accelerate at the same rate despite what mode it's on then? Knowing that makes me realize that I just might need to develop a more, sedate way of driving, as I tend to have a rather heavy foot on the gas pedal.

bisco likes this.
  8. Shrekit

Shrekit New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for all your swift and meaningful replies. Because of the mileage and size options that a hybrid offers, I'm probably going to stick to looking for a Prius. I'll end up looking a little lower on the model years and probably stay within the 2nd Gen priuses. I'm sure that after I save up more that I'll find one with much less usage and for a more reasonable price than the ones I mentioned.

As a side note, of the 2nd Gen priuses, which had the most problrms? I already know that lights can be a common replacement, but are there any years that are filled with all types of serious problems?

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't think there was a particular bad year. anecdotally, i think they overbuilt the '04 so it wouldn't have many problems. '05 -'07 seem a little weak, but no major issues, and '08 and '09 seem strong. but i could be way off.

10. Stormz

Stormz Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've read on this forum about Prii which have done over a million miles (so could be 2 million by now) with just the regular servicing and minor repair (one had a pipe replaced from memory and that's it). So based on that (and from the earlier models) I think he should get the higher mileage and more recent Prius, as they have just been getting better and better. We all know the engine lasts a lot longer than non-hybrid's because the electric motors are helping out the engine so nothing get's too much of a workout = lasts longer.

So, I'd pay for a knowledgeable inspection service to go over the Prius and buy it if the report is good. I'm sure there are also some members in the OP's area who could also give it a look/test for a carton of beer or something.

11. Stormz

Stormz Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought they would all be the same ('04 - '09) as they are exactly the same model/tech. But I hope you're right as I have an '08 and the only issue's have been needing to replace the 12v battery (doing another tomorrow actually as the car has gone all Christine on us... not turning on, then turning on when you are just sitting there, all the dash lights coming on for no reason.... weirdness).

bisco likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i suspect, when they tested the '04's after high mileage, they found area's they could cut back and save money. and ager '07 beefed up the ones that weren't working. it's just a theory, i have no idea really.:p