1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Considering Prius 5 with Tech Package. Pricing?

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by ifosso, Dec 29, 2014.

1. ifosso

ifosso Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hey Everyone. I have 210k on my '07. Love the car and it's still running very well but I think it's time to trade her in and get something new.

I'm thinking about the 'level 5' model with the tech package. Anyone else have any experience with the 2015 tech package?

MSRP is right around 35k. Any advice on how much wiggle room the dealers typically have with this model?

Thanks in advance,
    Ian

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You might be able to find a 2014 level 5 Prius. They are not the greatest sellers and if you find one, you'll have a lot more wiggle room.

You can go to truecar.com and see what they price them out at. With 2016 model around the corner, a $4000-$5000+ discount would be possible.

3. ifosso

ifosso Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    This website is great, thank you.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you able to wait an extra year on your '07? The reason is that the 4th gen is expected to be revealed (and hopefully launched) next year so you might be able to get a bigger discount on a car that has a fully redesigned model about to go on sale.

I can't help you with the MSRP part since I'm Canada but I can help you with the "experience" part. DRCC is a very nice feature that makes highway driving more relaxing. You don't have to worry about cancelling cruise for construction zones. As long as the car in front of you slows down to the proper speed limit, your car will maintain distance and slow down as well. And when you pass the construction zone and the car in front speeds up, you'll follow suit.

The HUD is also quite useful, allowing you to display speed, the Hybrid System Indicator and, if you're under route guidance, navigation instructions.

5. loansum

loansum Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have a 2010 (5) with the tech pak and a 2014 (5) w/o it. I miss the tech pak cc, when I drive the 2014. Try COSTCO's auto buying program. It worked well for me. Right now is a good time to buy. Gas price is down. However, as someone informed you, 2016 will be a new design. I know I plan to be the first guy on my block to buy one.

6. ifosso

ifosso Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for all the feedback.

I wasn't aware that the 2016 is going to be a new design. Reading about it now. Early reports are saying a lithium ion battery which might be worth the wait but newer articles are saying it's not going to have them. Am I understanding that correctly?

7. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Lithium batteries will not add any user benefit. These Nimh batteries have proven very reliable over time.

Dave14Prius likes this.
  8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Toyota isn't going to use the same battery chemistry in every Prius. They don't do it now and it doesn't matter.

A Five-AT in your color isn't always the easiest car to find. (Twos and Threes are a dime a dozen.) At least start a casual search because you never know when you'll need to buy that car.

There's more margin at the top end than there is at the bottom. How much is anyone's guess unless you are on the inside. Keep in mind the new one is going to start life at MSRP and could take 6 months before it gets discounted.

ifosso, read through Car Buying Guide for New and Used Vehicles | CarBuyingTips.com before talking numbers. No dealer wants an 8 year old car with 200000 miles. They'll screw you on the trade in value, increase the price of the new car, or both. (I'll bet on both.) You may be better off holding on to the 2007 until gas prices rise.

The AT package makes cross country trips more civilized and if it helps to avoid or minimize a collision then you'll save more money than the package cost. You'll also notice that the features or concepts in the package have become more mainstream every year.