1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

considering Prius, don't like handling, seat

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by lr23, Feb 6, 2015.

1. lr23

lr23 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I'm considering buying a Prius, say 2007, 08, or 09. I was REALLY serious about it before I did some test driving. I find that the Prius has too much body roll and the steering has no feel. I understand that a "stiffening plate" can help with the roll, but by how much? Anything else that helps. In addition to the regular Prius, I drove a "touring" version for a few minutes. That seemed to be slightly better, but I'm not sure because I didn't really get a chance to go fast enough (say, 60 or 70 mph) or corner hard enough (at lower speeds of course). There was too much traffic. I'm not a maniac, but I don't want to feel like I'm driving an appliance. The power, IMHO, is adequate for my purposes. I suspect that the Prius can't be made to drive like a Honda Fit (my other possible choice), but can it be made to drive like my wife's 2007 Honda Civic? (if not as powerful).

Another issue is that the middle of the mirror is right at my eye level! This makes for a big blind spot where I don't want one. I'm able to cope, but I don't want to cope with this for the next 10 or 15 years. Any way to lower the seat or change the mirror to reduce this problem?

Any comments?

If I don't figure out how to deal with these problems, I'll probably horrify you all and get a Fit. You don't want that, do you? ;-)

Thanks,

Lincoln

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I came from a 2010 Honda Fit Sport.
    Your threat does not horrify me.

I wanted a Prius. Because I wanted a Hybrid.

But The 2010 Honda Fit was a great compact hatch.

It all depends on what your personal driving priorities are...and if they aren't primarily the advantages of driving a hybrid, and are instead prioritizing body roll, handling and driving feel...

And if you already have issues with seat comfort and blind spots?

My advice is go ahead and get a Honda Fit...IMO a great compact hatch...which corners fantastic and has that elusive reputation of being fun to drive.

You won't get the advantages of driving a hybrid, but you will have a very well designed vehicle.

Time will tell but if you are buying used, you also will have the "advantage"? ---of getting a Honda Fit that was imported from Japan. The latest incarnations are being built in Mexico. And at least early on, there are rumors of some fit and finish problems as Honda gets the factory up to speed in assembling a newly designed incarnation of The Fit.

3. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The Prius if driven with the tyres at manufacturers recommended pressures handles poorly. Virtually everyone on PC would suggest raising the pressures to 40 psi front and 38 psi rear or even higher if you do not mind the firmer ride. Doing this has two other benefits. Reducing tyre ware, and improving fuel consumption.
    The touring version comes with 195/55/16 tyres. This is also the size all UK/EU versions use. Changing these to 205/55/16 improves the stability, and handling enormously.
    The Prius is not as slow as the 0 to 60 mph times suggest. This is because the electric motors give out maximum torque figures at zero revs so the off the line performance is very good.
    Although not immediately evident the interior mirror can be raised or lowered on it's adjuster mount.

John (Britprius)

#3 Britprius, Feb 7, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    prius is not for you, stick with honda, you won't be disappointed.

5. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Can't comment on Gen2 except that everyone is saying Gen3 is better. To my taste Gen3 needed add-ons to get passing grade. If you want better handling Prius get "C" or wait for Gen4. Gen3 can be made acceptable, but it would need STB, sway bar and set of springs or camber kit. Not sure if those available for Gen2 and how much difference they make.

For ref "C" is on par with Fit, and our Gen3 with all mods comparable to Mazda3.

#5 cyclopathic, Feb 7, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  6. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If your looking for a sporty ride the gen 2 Prius isn't it. You also don't like the seat which makes this a total non-option for you. As mentioned above you could wait for the gen 4 if you're willing to buy new.

7. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Lexus CT 200h F Sport!

8. lr23

lr23 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for all the answers!

Good to know about the adjustable mirror. I may need that sometime even if I don't get a Prius myself, as some of my friends have them.

The Prius is fast enough for me, I just want to be able to feel what I'm doing. Might save my life someday. I used to have a '78 Ford Fiesta. I used to drive it, shall we say, with a bit of exuberance. The steering was sensitive enough that I could feel when the tires were about to let go. I don't really need a "sporty" car, just one that handles well. The '93 Saturn SL1 I've been driving has adequate handling, though not as good as the old Fiesta or the Fit.

Seems like it would be a lot of work to get a Prius the way I wanted it. So I guess I'll likely go for the Fit. I don't understand why, by now, there aren't a dozen vehicles similar to the Prius, that get comparable or better mileage. Some of which would handle better. Seems to me the Prius has had its own corner of the market to itself for many years.

Thanks again,

Lincoln

P.S.
    Sergiospl,
    If you send me the difference in price between a used Prius and the Lexus CT 200h F Sport, I'll get one right away. I'd probably feel the need to camouflage it as something more ordinary, though. ;-)

#8 lr23, Feb 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2015
    Sergiospl likes this.
  9. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I picked up a used certified 2011 Prius 5 months ago with 77,000 miles to avoid putting too many miles on the leased Acura. It was either a used Fit sport or a used Prius.
    2011 Prius L | PriusChat

10. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    There is a stiffening plate that addresses cross wind shimmy, it does not effect body roll.

11. stonerider

stonerider Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just buy the Fit. Prius is NOT for you.

12. cyclopathic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    @OP get Mazda3 with stick. Much better handling, better MPG then fit

13. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, ugly, poor handling, but...pennies add up

14. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Prius not for you because its exactly the way you described it. Move on.

15. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    The Touring model is night and day by comparison. I first test drove an 04 or 05 and discounted ever getting a prius because it felt like the car might tip over going around on/off ramps at any sort of speed. Then the touring came out and I gave it another drive it and it was a totally different car. Flat at illegal speeds around clover type on/off ramps.

#15 sorka, Feb 8, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  16. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It still no 1978 Ford Fiesta.

17. cyclopathic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    People forget back then Fiesta was basically Mazda 121. If OP wants replacement Mazda2 and current Fiesta are direct replacements.

18. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    if you want the prius to handle the way it should have when Toyota made it, you got to replace the front sway bar with an oem corolla/matrix bar and an aftermarket rear sway bar. then put some good 205 tires on it. it will be kinda fun to drive, and it will handle flat on hard cornering.

19. Toyotatrader

Toyotatrader New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just transitioned from a Pontiac Vibe to a 2007 Prius. Seems the Prius traction control keeps wheels from spinning on the WI snow. Broken loose a time or two, but overall, pretty good. I've never pushed a car too much, so I don't need spectacular handling. Now, on my motorcycle, that's another story.

20. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    With half way decent tires reasonable driving skills the Prius is a good winter car. We're having a robust winter here in Buffalo. I have never had to shovel my car out, but I see all kinds of craziness on the roads. Why is the car in the median always 4WD?

Toyotatrader likes this.