1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Considering Prius v purchase, have some questions

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by tribbleorlfl, Jan 22, 2015.

1. tribbleorlfl

tribbleorlfl New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    new to priuschat, but am a 6-year Prius owner. My 2007 is sitting at 95,000 miles, and while it's still going strong, it's getting a little cramped for my growing family. As such, I've been kicking around the idea of moving up to a Prius v.

I've done a lot of reading here and elsewhere, and there are a few things I'm still not clear on I was hoping some v owners and experts could help me with.

First, on the trim levels: is there any way to identify a 2, 3 or 5 other than the features/options present? There are 20 or so 2012-13 used models in my area right now; I've seen a few advertised as 5's, but I don't think they are because they don't have fog lights (standard on the 5 as far as I know). I see some that are just advertised as a v (with no trim indicated), yet seem to have options.

While I've seen many people criticize the navigation system (and specifically Entune), I'm kind of confused on the layout of the system itself. One of the listings indicates the vehicle has the nav system, yet the pictures don't show a "Map" or "Dest" button. I've seen interior pictures online that have those buttons, yet I've also seen the standard button configuration with nav system images clearly displayed. Is one the "normal" nav system while the other is the premium system on the Five? The backup camera still only comes w/ the nav system, correct?

Regarding the back seat, I know there's more leg room and head room; what about horizontal space? I believe the v is 1" wider than a normal Prius, just curious if it's noticeable? We have a 10-year-old and a 2-year-old, but are talking about maybe one more at some point. Anyone have experience or advice on multiple car seats in the v?

Finally, I've read about the v's higher driving position. With this in mind coupled with the additional length, does it drive more like a small suv or crossover as opposed to a sedan?

Thanks so much for everyone's help and advice!

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The only real way to tell the models apart are by the features. From a visual standpoint, a v5 will have 17" wheels instead of 16" and an autodimming rear view mirror.

The navigation system is the biggest difference across models. The v2 has none, the v3 has a standard nav and the v5 has a premium nav. That' s why the buttons and the displays themselves are not the same.

A backup camera is on all models.

A v2 won't have XM or HD radio but the display unit looks about the same as a v3. See attached brochure for pic and features. Obviously a v5 has a few high tech features.

The back seat has excellent legroom, reclines and slides forward or back. It drives like a small suv. Try it.

I think a v3 is the best value because it comes with navigation that the v2 lacks but I would not worry about it too much. Get the best price with low miles. It will probably be a v3.

Attached Files:

#2 rjparker, Jan 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  3. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    The models pretty much define what options are on the car with some exceptions (like my Three where I added SofTex and daylight running lights but that is probably 1 in a thousand).

Fog lamps were standard on the Five in '12 according to the '12 brochure. Look for the headlight washers on a Five. And 17" wheels/tires.

You enter the GPS/NAV/map application on a Three via the APP button. Then choose Maps. The two didn't have the NAV feature.

The backup camera came on my '12 v Three. There was an enhanced camera display on the Five.

I hauled 3 grandkids (9, 7,3) in car seats in the rear of my v 100 miles the other day. My son hauls the same 3 kids and has to use his front seat for his 9 year old in his Prius hatchback.

I switched from a small SUV (CRV) to the Prius. I'd say it is a cross between a tall sedan feel and a small SUV. I measured the front door opening height for someone the other day and it was ~2 inches taller and higher than my wife's Avalon which I consider a big sedan.

You will get more room and give up some MPG because the darn thing is bigger/heavier. Life is tradeoffs.

schmuly likes this.
  4. Bob-blehead

Bob-blehead Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'll weigh in on this, in the event that some other folks read this to gather some information. I'll put it in terms of reaching ATMs. In the Camry we had, I still had to reach up a little to get to them. The Prius v is about perfect. Our '12 Rav4 is a little higher, and I have to reach down when driving our Honda Pilot. Same goes for ingress/egress. For me, the v is perfect for getting in and out of it. The Camry sat noticeably lower. Our Rav4 is a little higher than the v, but not nearly as high as the Pilot. I can't compare it to the Prius (liftback), as I have never compared them side to side with the v. I do remember looking at them at the Detroit Auto Show after the v was introduced, but I don't remember how they compared in regards to height.