1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Considering purchasing 2010 Prius

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by moonmonsoon, Oct 22, 2015.

1. moonmonsoon

moonmonsoon New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hello there. I have been looking at used cars available in my area and came across a 2010 prius with 158,000 miles with no issues supposedly for $4,000. I am curious what you guys think about this. I would like to get at least 50,000 miles out of the car without replacing the pricy battery. Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! certainly, it is possible, but there is nothing we can do to guarantee it. you might get a car with no issues for the next 50,000+ miles, or you might get a car that requires $10,000. in dealer maintenance. the odds are in your favor, based on overall statistics. do you feel lucky?:cool:

3. Ozark Man

Ozark Man Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I have a 2010 II with 82,000 miles, that I have had 3 months and so far so good. I am well satisfied with it. I gave about 12 or 13 thousand for it depending on what my trade in was worth. But it is certified and, except for a few paint chips, like a new one. From everything I have read on here it's the age and not the miles that counts. In fact it's better to drive them a lot. Having said that there are some problems, albeit, seemingly rarely, even with the newer ones. With any car trade you just about have to roll the dice. In my opinion that sounds like a good deal, maybe.

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    First an old post about who should not own a Prius: considering a Prius | PriusChat

No one can tell when the battery chemistry is about to fail, but there are other choices than a new battery, ebay has old batteries pulled from totaled Prius for under $1000 (many more Prius are wrecked than have the battery fail)

Toyota Prius battery -09 in Other | eBay

The Prius I have owned are very reliable, but when something DOES go wrong it is often a case of replacing with an expensive replacement, rather than fixing the part. (some of this is due to a lack of experience) Just recall that with 160,000 miles on it, you want newer, not new.

5. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I agree, the odds are in OP's favor but is the risk worth the reward? If the expectation is 50k miles, I think the savings isn't worth the risk.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed. i wouldn't do it, but i don't feel lucky. and i won't buy any car at 150k, hoping to get to 200k without a major repair.

PLSPUSH likes this.
  7. PRIUSBOY69

PRIUSBOY69 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Purchased mine in 2013. Had 62k miles. Lease return. Now have 96k.miles. Great car --no issues. Just got notice this summer that Toyota is extending Traction Battery warranty. From 10 years/100000 mile to 15years 150000 miles. Had to apply new warranty sticker to service book in car. Sweet.
    Best tires to get max mileage Bridgestone Ecopia !!!----- 54 /55 mpg
    Had a new set of Michelin Defenders---Can't come close to Bridgestones. 49/50 mpg.

We have another Prius--First Gen 2002. Has 135k miles. Replaced Traction battery at 125k miles. Toyota dealer sold us Battery for $1700. + $600 install. Warranty for 2 years. We bought car used in 2010 with 62k miles. Put money aside to replace traction battery in the future.
    Prius Chat gave us heads up on First Gen Battery issues.