1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Considering removing the windshield wipers...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by TrailRider, Mar 15, 2011.

1. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oh no, the big dicks are coming out swinging...

2. krelborne

krelborne New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

1 person likes this.
  3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    3% for wiper blades?
    PPPhhtttt!!!

I won't even buy 0.3%, and it really goes beyond what I believe the OPs original motivation is for this topic...which he/she stated was to give the G3 a "cleaner" look.
    (You gotta love the irony there...:) )

I don't have a wind tunnel, or any fancy letters associated with my name (unless you count the ETC(SS/EXW) in my military correspondences, but I believe the overarching issue here would be whether or not it would be prudent to remove the wipers in the first place---NOT how many thimbles full of gas you would save in your car before the ambulance burned it all off in an attempt to thwart natural selection....

JMHO... :D

4. Ryanpl

Ryanpl Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

5. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

6. krelborne

krelborne New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I agree, and I wouldn't do such a thing. However, I guess if you leave them in the car, and you're willing to immediately throw them back on at the slightest chance you'll need them, it's probably not much of a safety risk to take them off. The inspection issue is another matter, of course.

7. dustoff003

dustoff003 Blizzard Brigade #003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    rrolff,

All done after hours? At no one's expense? Do we look like idiots here? Sorry if us "average chatters" do not get it. You really mean to tell me that facilities and resources at the JPL were used to test Prius aerodynamics for the hell of it? After hours eh, so who paid for the electricity to power the wind tunnel, computers, diagnostic equipment, lights, wear/tear on the equipment, maintenance, and other associated costs to run such tests? Did the people conducting these experiments pay for any of the above listed items or was it the taxpayers? How come these facilities being abused were not secured? Could they have been used for something better to benefit the nation not a bunch of nerds and geeks with nothing better to do? Did management know about these tests, or where they complicit? NASA is in the shitter the shuttles are gonna be retired soon we have nothing to replace them at this time and there are people doing after hours Prius testing at the JPL. Since you have all of this data could you repost it for all of us to use? We did pay for it right? I am especially interested in the mud flap MPG increase data. Also could you post some pics of your backyard wind tunnel sounds interesting? I am only a model rocket scientist!

1 person likes this.
  8. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Most states (32) don't have vehicle safety inspections.

Most states do require windshield wipers although the odds of getting ticketed for no windshield wipers is slim to none unless you are driving in the rain without them

9. PriQ

PriQ CT+iQ

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    Aerodynamics is the black art of modern vehicle design. Take a look at the Toyota iQ for an example. Who would have thought that fins behind the rear wheels and windows actually improve the aerodynamics? Search for the video showing how lowering the tailgate on a truck also lowers mileage because of the involved aerodynamics in play.

The Prius has been designed with the windscreen wipers in place, and it is only with them that it is rated a cw of 0.25. Removing the wipers could improve mileage just as well as it could increase it or have no effect at all.

10. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Sorry -- I feel that removing the windshield wipers in the interest of fuel economy, better lines, correcting egregious feng shui errors or any other reason is an act nearing the pinnacle of stupidity.

I'm sure, however, that, given time, another act will come down the pike making this one appear as innocuous as licking a flagpole in below-zero weather.

1 person likes this.
  11. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    it's supposed to rain on Sunnday, Monday, and Wednesday.:mod:

12. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    On a more serious note, besides keeping the fuel tank emptier, removing the rear seats, passenger seat, some of the interior bits, the spare tire, the rear tray and plastic rear "floor" above the rear tray would likely help w/mileage more than removing the wipers.

When I'd taken my Maxima drag racing before, I (and others) would remove the spare tire and have a spectator watch it, in the interests of weight reduction and a slightly faster time.

13. Joe166

Joe166 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    V
    I am pretty sure that all those "studies" were made up from nothing in another ludicrous thread that was almost as silly as this one involving the mileage difference from replacing the huge drag from the factory radio antenna and replacing it with a shark fin. It is nice to know that after a while those tongue in cheek "studies" gain a life of their own.

I read it on the internet! I even posted it on Wikipedia, so it must be true!

14. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    To the nay-sayers, if you have some real factual data, please post it.

Yes - JPL lab time is not cheap, and indirectly, some taxpayers may be footing a small tiny piece, but the reality is, this is volunteer time, off the clock.

And yes - you get better mileage with mud flaps on your car. They even showed certain tinting of the windows affects mileage (though very small).

Please read and research before going off on some random tangent...

15. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    "pretty sure" - nice absence of facts.

As for Wiki, the data is *not* always true. It has a higher probability of being true, but there are many instances where someone posted random data, with no correlation in reality. I would suggest you not blindly trust Wiki...

16. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    In answer to your many questions:
    1. Yes
    2. Yes (for the most part)
    3. I can't see you.
    4. Yes (it also tests the lab equipment - so in theory it's a win-win)
    5. Public funding - however, maintenance and the like are the same - tests run or not (again, for the most part).
    6. Again, there were no real capture-able costs.
    7, They are not abused, they are more secure than you could possibly imagine.
    8. They were used to better our society. You may not think so - that's your opinion.
    9. Management knows engineers need to blow off 'steam' every now and then.
    10. The data has been posted here a few times...
    11. Pics were also posted.
    12. Ma halo...

17. dustoff003

dustoff003 Blizzard Brigade #003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Three swings and three misses by rrolff. Thanks for contributing to the greater good. I really want to know about the mud flap data. Could you post a link to the thread with the data or repost it please. It is hard to search the forum at times.

18. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm sorry if you do not know how to use search engines.

At the top right of this page, there is a search box (powered by Google - which BTW is a very good search engine).

You place words in this box, and it then looks through this site for matches. As an example, if you placed "XYZ" in that box, you will be given a screen with posts that match that search 'word'. In this case, you might find a 'playlist' post - or ....

Try it - Google is really a good search engine, and it will help you in your future endeavors...

You can also go to Google.com - this site can be used for global searches (XYZ will bring up many topics unrelated to the Prius).

“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime."

19. GSW

GSW PRIUS POWER

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here's a fact. I took my rear window windshield wiper off because it was slowing me down at Daytona. Well... some of it is fact. I think it looks so much better.

20. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't believe such a long and heated debate has sprung up around an idea I find as STUPID as removing your windshield wipers.

They don't exist to either aide, or hopefully significantly detract from gas mileage. They exist to keep you windshield clean. Your vision as clear as possible. Whether that is in a rainstorm, or just with the build up of dust or gunk that comes with driving.

I think serious consideration of removing them, regardless of what enviroment you are usually driving in...IDIOTIC....

Without research, without any studies, I can hardly believe that windshield wipers are going to make an Gnats nice person's worth of difference as far as MPG.

In perspective of having the ability to clear my windshield if it becomes covered in Dust, Dirt, Rain vs. (unknown quantity of efficiency gained) I think I'd rather have SAFETY and a clear windshield.

This is one of the DUMBEST debates I've ever seen on Prius Chat.