1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Considering removing the windshield wipers...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by TrailRider, Mar 15, 2011.

1. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Posting information about EU safety regulations and new vehicle approval regulations and tests is NOT recognizing the functional safety that having them and using them provides.

IF you are advocating for their entire removal from the vehicle, then IMO you are ignoring the reality of the safety their useage does provide.

Potato humor? I love it. I can't get enough of it. Outside of the Potato Famine...which wasn't really a famine...potato's are hillarious.

2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Am I reading this post right?

Somebody out there is actually specuguessing that removing the wipers from a G3 PRIUS will result in a 3.something percent increase in mileage???

Really?

So...allegedly...I can drain all of the gas out of my G3....and drive until it's empty. Then I could pluck the windshield wipers off and put another gallon of gas into the car and drive an additional mile or so just because I removed the wipers???

Wow.....

3. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I can't read people's minds, so I was just going by what was posted in this thread by people who cared enough to comment on it....call me crazy...

So your first post in this thread was misleading me and probably a few others since you (apparently unintentionally) said removing the wipers would lower your mileage by 3.14%.

You still haven't provided any data of how you know that to 3 points of precision. "Facts are facts" you like to say, but you don't like to show the facts, just assuming we'll accept what you claim are facts. But since we were apparently arguing for the same thing, I'll just drop it.

4. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sorry - that is not how it works. Gaining a 3.14% advantage will simply allow you to drive that much further on a tank of gas. At 50MPG, you can get a theoretical distance of 595 miles. Removing the wipers for that drive would up that number to 613 - or close to 1/3 or a gallon of gas saved with each tank (if you run it empty).

5. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I won't call you crazy - just very uneducated on the topic at hand...

The facts will come with further testing this weekend. We already had experimental data showing the 3.14% increase - this will either cement that figure, or blow it out of the water. I am keeping an open mind. As of right now, I only know about the 3.14% figure. The three points of precision had to do with the original tests. They are called significant figures, and as there were three, that is how the data gets reported. If you were looking at the speed of your car, based on the speedometer (which happened to be precisely calibrated), you would only get 2 significant figures.

That is science.

6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You're going to have to excuse me. Except for the 3 years that I spent at the tender mercies of the nuns at Sacred Heart, I'm a product of our Public Edumacation system.

613 miles minus the original 595 miles gives you a savings of (or an additional range of) 18 miles...right? Divide this 18 miles by the 11.8 gallon tank and you get something like 1.525 something-something miles per gallon in the tank.

Just for the wipers?

I'm sorry. I guess that's why JPL doesn't hire uneducated folks like me. I would have never guessed....

7. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm sorry if I missed something....

595 miles with a *11.9* g tank. Gaining 3.14% to that 595 miles gives an increase of: 595 x 1.0314 (%) yields 613.683. Rounding to significant figures gives us 614 miles. You are correct, the math is incorrect (though 614 vs 613 miles???? Do we really care?).

That same 11.9 gallons now yields us 51.6 MPG.

When I mentioned 1/3 g, I was just estimating ("close to" as quoted). Reality is more like 19.0 miles over a 11.9g tank. 19 miles at 51.6 MPG gives a more like .368 gallons.

I mentioned 1/3 gallon because it seems to be an easy number most can relate to....

EDIT: Also 1/3 gallon is easy for most to figure out from a cost standpoint ($4g x 1/3g = $1.33 each tank)

8. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Removing them is very environmentally sound ( and no need for more rubber to replace worn out ones). This *can* be done safely (provided you use some type of water wetter - or a basic Idaho Potato). Safety has two meanings. If you can safely operate your vehicle using a Potato - great. That also helps out environment (environmental safety).

9. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Tastier too!

10. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The dead bugs the potato picks up add protein too. It's a win-win situation.

11. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Seasoning...

12. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    But you realize, by removing those dead bugs, you will reduce your fuel economy by approximately 0.56364%.

13. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's hard to believe that removing bugs would reduce fuel economy - let's not start throwing in random useless facts.

I will agree that taking a potato to a bug filled window may change the Potato's flavor (and possibly for the better - as a Potato on its own has little flavor {IMHO}). That will also pick up dirt and debris from the road. I doubt many would disagree that random road particles cannot be healthy (as opposed to random, clean window splots - not of the bird variety).

This really should be kept to its original topic(s) - wipers - good or bad (mileage vs safety vs looks).

14. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I agree, sorry.

15. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Actually, the OT was wipers vs aerodynamics and fuel economy. It started going off track when the nervous Nellies got their knickers in a knot about safety.

1 person likes this.
  16. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    This thread is a prima facie example of the main entry into the "Negatives" column when I was doing a pro/con on the purchase of my Prius.

I enjoy saving money, resources and the environment as much as the next person. But, I'm not going to do it at the expense of common sense any more than I'm going to follow Alanis Morissette's suggestion of using only one square of toilet paper to wipe my nice person.

1 person likes this.
  17. dtuite

dtuite Silverback

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Let's have a little more respect for potatoes on St. Patrick's day.

18. krelborne

krelborne New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    :rofl:I think that was Sheryl Crow, BTW. She's a big greenie.

Don't pay attention to this sort of stuff. Whether its enviros or car hackers or just plain geeks, you're always going to get a group of people who wonder how they can tweak their vehicle for better MPGs. This thread is going on and on because a certain surgeon is goading the nonbelievers. Just watch and laugh. :rofl:

1 person likes this.
  19. Ryanpl

Ryanpl Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have to ask. When I go for my annual safety inspection for Mina without wiper blades, cause I need to improve my MPGs at all cost, if I show the inspector this post will he pass me??

20. derkraut

derkraut Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Move on....this thread has degenerated to ZILCH.