1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Considering removing the windshield wipers...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by TrailRider, Mar 15, 2011.

1. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The golf ball thing was good enough for Mythbusters. Maybe enough bugs would have a similar effect at modifying the airflow - how do we know unless we test it? :)

2. GWhizzer

GWhizzer not so Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow. If this pans out, I'm sure with the exact right amount of torque and an stringent daily maintenance program I could get away with only 2 lug-nuts on each wheel, and save the weight and accelleration torque associated with the remaining ones :)

1 person likes this.
  3. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The topic is also on safety - I don't see any way 2 lug nuts can be considered safe. I don't recommend this - and won't even test it...

4. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I drive around 20K miles / year. Before modding, I was getting 44.6 MPG. That translates to a yearly cost of close to $1800. If I can put enough mods on the car, and get close to 65 MPG, my yearly costs go down to $1200. That's a savings of around $50 every month. Plenty for a few nice lunches and some really good Pie - with some left over for new mods as they become available. The Wiper one actually saves money (no need to swap out wipers yearly - I can even sell my used ones on Craigslist)...

5. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I never imagined the wipers were so important. Imagine the effects produced by turning the windshield wipers on. Even use of intermittent wiper speed poses the risk of throwing your high mileage technological marvel (Prius) into an aggressive tailspin that can result is the catastrophic loss of the craft and all souls. Imagine the consequences of flapping those, non aerodynamic blades at full speed, pushing the added mass of randomly dispersed water droplets. Isn't it amazing how something as trivial as windshield wipers can perturb the entire hybrid and aerodynamic features of the Prius without catching the attention of design engineers. This is enough to make me consider folding one of the wipers forward, attaching a white flag, placing a brick on the gas pedal, and sending her into the sunset with the wipers on full. On second thought, the unpredictable aerodynamic and torque consequences and full tank of gas, could send my illfated Prius all over the country, on a uncharted path of destruction. Thank god the wiper turbulence would deplete the fuel in time to save some of the world.

6. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The last thing your precious Prius would communicate as it left the West Coast... "So Long - And Thanks For All The Fish......."
    :fish2:

Getting hungry - off to go get my 42 slices of Pi......

7. dtuite

dtuite Silverback

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You're late. Pi day was last Monday.

8. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    There are other ways to get water and mud on a windshield besides rain.

9. dustoff003

dustoff003 Blizzard Brigade #003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks Captain Obvious for the search engine tutorial. I was interfacing with the forum via my mobile and the Tapatalk app. searching was hampered slightly. When I got back on my computer I did a few searches and it turned up many of your previous postings. They were all just saying this and that and we ran these tests at the JPL and bla bla bla... but there was no actual data to back any of it up. Could not find any pictures either. I would like to see pictures of your "I bolt" installation, and the wind tunnel, could you post some? What car is that in your avatar? Your profile information for your Prius is blank could you tell us model and package information please?

10. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There was plenty of data published in many threads regarding the tests. Again, if you are having a hard time searching, I highly suggest the use of Google in the top right corner.

The "I bolt" installation is not one to be taken lightly. Drilling a hole in the I roof I beam, and through the header is not for the feint hearted. We just reinstalled it for possible tests tonight/early tomorrow. It looks kinda funny - but my car is silver - so it matches. It also holds the complete weight of the car - no roof distortions when suspended.

The Avitar car is a Karma - being released next month. A series hybrid running (2) 200 HP motors, and a 260HP engine that charges the traction battery (not connected to the drive train). It's the reason we get into JPL (that's what has actually been being tested - we just use the lab downtime). Interesting fact - it's the first production *car* to run 22 inch wheels.

11. dustoff003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Dude,

I really want to see this kick nice person I Bolt installation. Please post a picture or two won't you?

12. Canard

Canard Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ...are you guys talking about eye bolts?

-Iain

13. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    In a similar move, I'm considering removing my steering wheel. The extra weight of the wheel and excess energy used to run the drive by wire system is not worth the benefit of steering anymore.

No offense, TrailRider ... sarcasm just flows from my fingers and sometimes I cannot stop it. :)

-Brad

14. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi TR,

Removing the 3rd Generation winshield wipers will have negligable effect. Look at the profile line of the hood. Note that it pitches upward so that the air flow is directed over the resting position of the wipers. Additionally, the wipers themselves are very low aerodynamic design. These two points are improvements over the 2nd Gen Prius.

You might extend the line of the hood to over the wiper beams, (with a joint or flexible material so the hood can still be opened)but most like the maximum mass flow of the air over the hood is going to stay consistent by momentum effects to above the height of the wipers, till further up the windshield.

Which means there will be little parasitic drag presented to the main flow by the wipers and the wiper support beams.

But, my experience is that the 3rd Gen Prius aerodynamics are just not as good as the 2nd Gen (or at least my old modified 2nd Gen). I think the issues are the wider tires, the larger wheel well opening, a too shallow front rake angle - and the effects that has at the upper 1/3 A pillar region. To that last comment, in rain, I see a scicle shaped pool of water form on the side front windows at speed. This is the tell-tale evidence of a drag inducing vortex forming in that transition. This is probably because the front rake of the car is too shallow.

1 person likes this.
  15. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ed, have you ever seen the TeleTubbies?
    [​IMG]
    Only in silver.

1 person likes this.
  16. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Now you've created a whole new line of ideas. Without the wipers and steering wheel, there is no longer a need for the driver, windows, seats, and a couple hundred pounds of other obsolete stuff. This ought to add a couple more MPG.

17. dustoff003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yes I am speaking of eye bolts, but Mr. rrolff has referred to it as an I bolt for a while now in various threads/posts so I just stuck with it as not to confuse him. I mean if you really had one in the roof of your car going through an I beam you should know it's called an eye bolt right?

18. dustoff003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Haven't watched that show. Is that an "I bolt" in his head as to allow for being suspended for wind tunnel testing?

Is there a tubbie with a J-Bolt?

1 person likes this.
  19. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes as a matter of fact and I heard (rumor) that the character was tested (after hours) at the JPL and had an incredible .23Cd beating out the Prius!

20. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is no car. There is no road. There is only wind. :cool: