1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

considering to get a Prius Classic

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by clayton4115, May 21, 2008.

1. clayton4115

clayton4115 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    hi all

i have always been fascinated with the Prius technology, however when it came time to upgrade my 20 year old car, i decided to go down the petrol route and i purchased a near new Honda Civic (2005 model) purchased in Feb 2007.

Anyways i have been looking at the local car listings for sale and came across a PRius Classic for sale, i would like to get one but i am thinking whether there is anything i should look at when i go there, also can i also drive the car in purely electric mode thereby not using any fuel as the traffic is pretty horrible here can i only crawl along on electric in peak hour traffic

im in Australia so we use metric, like km/h

anyone can give me tips on what i should consider doing?

i do like my Honda civic and i probably wont sell it, but the thing is i hardly do much driving anyway, like 6000 miles a year (10000 kms a year)

cash is not the problem as i have money saved up and i still have my old 20 yr old runabout which i could get rid of a replace with the pris classic

the add for the car is located here

http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars...d=112B2EBEC022

i reckon its a great price for $12,500.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, one nice thing about Prius is that you can drive at slow speed under electric power as long as the traction battery has sufficient charge to power the vehicle. This is very nice when you are in heavy traffic.

The asking price is in line with US Kelley Blue Book private party valuations, converting AUD to USD and assuming 78K miles on the odometer. The photos look nice.

However, the electric steering gear, the traction battery, and the engine ECU are potentially troublesome and expensive failure areas. I suggest that you inquire into the service history of the vehicle.

I understand that very few Classic Prius were shipped into Australia. Hence my guess is that it will be very hard to obtain salvage parts for this model, and you will have to rely on your Toyota dealer to supply new parts.

Since you've recently bought another vehicle and only drive 6K miles per year, I surmise that you are thinking about buying the Prius for fun. Would you still think this was a fun purchase if the car experienced a failure that cost several thousand $s to repair?

Further, if you keep the Civic and buy the Prius, my guess is that you might drive the Prius ~3K miles per year. You may have problems with the 12V auxiliary battery wearing out prematurely due to the low use. This low usage might also cause problems with the main traction battery if the car is not driven enough to keep the battery charged.

In the G1 Prius subforum, I have a poll going on that might give you some indication of problems that owners have faced. Unfortunately only 16 have responded to the poll so far, so this represents a very small sample size.

Good luck with your decision.

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I would also strongly suggest that you learn as much as possible about the service history of this candidate. But it may be that I am more optimistic about the general prospects of Prius than is Patrick.

Assuming that the HV battery has been resealed, crankshaft position sensor and the troublesome ECU replaced, and that the build date late enough that the steering is 'probably OK', then several of the risks are probably swept away.

As this appears not to be a critical purchase decision for you, you are in what Americans call the catbird seat. Take the position that you are aware that the transaxle fluid may very well be full of metal chips. However, if it passes chemical testing, you are willing to offer XXX (some amount less).

Just between us, I'd say there is a high probability that it will give you a lot of good service. Leave the rest of your fleet parked and drive it enough to keep the batteries happy. But let's talk about the Prius' history first. This might reveal volumes about the seller, which under the circumstances is the most important thing to know.

4. ForTheGlory

ForTheGlory New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Just to chime in from an economic perspective: there is absolutely no monetary reason to switch to the Prius. Yes, it'll get better mileage than your Civic, but the overall cost of ownership will be higher. "The cheapest car is the one you already have."

5. clayton4115

clayton4115 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    yeah thanks guys for your input, it gives me something to think about heck the $12,500 will by alot of gas with that!!!