1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

considering trading my PiP for a Volt

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by fortytwok, Jul 18, 2014.

1. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice report CSS....out of curiosity does Michigan have incentives for Volt being GM home state?

2. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Absolutely none.

I work about a mile from the GM CVO (Company Vehicle Operations) facility though and I can see ELRs, Spark EVs and Amperas plugged into a big solar charging canopy.

#22 css28, Jul 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  3. fortytwok

fortytwok Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Rob - are you finding that your Volt charges slower than the PiP ?
    Limited one day findings here but the Volt was charging at 1.4 miles per 10 minutes at a 240V - my PiP was 2.0 per 10 min
    Got it home and had a similar result - my PiP was charging at 1.0miles per 10 minutes - the Volt about 30% slower

4. fortytwok

fortytwok Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    With some sadness I pulled the trigger today - the deal was too good to pass up and the Massachusetts rebate of $2500 has a limited life - possibly 12 months and done. Final numbers were 32.7 - 10 fed and state = 22.7 for a 2014 Volt minus 22k for my 2013 PiP with 14,600 miles.

One day reaction is wow - the acceleration puts me at risk for a speeding ticket again. And you don't feel the road and bumps so much.
    On the negs : I confirmed what my Volt driving friend thought - it charges slower than the PiP. Sure - no probs overnight and I'll be loaded with enough miles for the day. No one was using my back seat in the PiP so no loss there but the Volt trunk sucks

This is a great forum - hope Volt has something similar but I've only found a fairly dead one

ps never did catch Bisco's 14k EV miles but I'm proud of my 90.5 % lifetime EV
    and
    pss no one will ever catch Retired's 200+ MPGe ! :eek:

psss I'm sure Sage is still an idiot but I blocked him so can't confirm.... :ROFLMAO:

silverone likes this.
  5. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  6. fortytwok

fortytwok Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  7. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Does the PiP have a 6.6 kW onboard charger?
    Can you verify the amperage draw?

I know many Volt owners that would like the faster 6.6kW charger. I didn't think the PiP had it, however if it does that would explain it.

8. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Don't be a stranger. Pay us a visit from time-to-time.

9. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Cograts, seems to be a lot of that going around. :p

10. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    Congrats on the Volt, I hope it works well for you.

The PiP and Volt charge at the same 12A rate at 120v. In terms of miles per 10 minutes, the PiP might appear to charge faster if you had been driving it more efficiently. Also, the PiP may have more efficient charging (less overhead) when charging at 120v. This is especially true if the battery is hot. The PiP may run some fans to cool the battery but the Volt will run pumps and a radiator fan to run coolant through the battery and may even run the A/C compressor, if needed. This will preserve battery life but may take a little more energy.

When charging at "240v", the Volt charges at a faster absolute rate. The actual rate varies with the voltage. Residential and small buildings are usually 240v but large garages and commercial buildings are often 208v. If a Volt is charging at 3 kW at 208v then a PiP would be charging at 2.2 kW.

Also, both cars will slow down their charging rate as the battery approaches a full charge so make sure to compare them when their rates have stabilized a minute or two after they begin charging on an empty battery. The PiP will suddenly drop to a slower charging rate as it nears full but the Volt will slowly reduce its rate during the last few minutes of charging.

My 2011 Volt tends to add about 13-14 miles for every hour of charging at 240v and completes a full charge in about 3 hours and 45 minutes.

#30 Jeff N, Jul 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
    Zythryn likes this.
  11. fortytwok

fortytwok Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Jeff - I've seen that PiP vs Volt charge math before and questioned my Volt friend's recordkeeping as it makes sense.
    But that's not what I've seen so far using the same 12 amp / 120v home charging - the Volt said it was full after adding 36 miles overnight in 10 hrs. I'd been full in the PiP as in 14.5 miles in 2:20 which is a much better rate of add

I've only charged once at the 220v Chargepoint station but I added just 8 miles in 53 minutes. At the same station I'd add 10 1/2 miles in my PiP.
    Is there greater charge loss in a Volt ? I understand is supposed to be charging at 3kw but that's not translating into adding miles !

as backup I have my Chargepoint report that shows 2.78 kWh used in 53 min. I have similar reports for the PiP showing a 2.4 kWh used in 68 minutes for a full charge - adding 14.5 miles. So I may be missing something but doesn't that indicate the Volt using more electricity to add fewer miles ?

sorry all - I should probably take this to a Volt forum but I started this thread and it is somewhat PiP related...

edit - I see on a Volt forum that "full" = 13 kWh - at 40 miles for full the Volt would = $1.95 gas for me while my departed PiP was $1.55

#31 fortytwok, Jul 20, 2014
  12. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats fourty... I'm sure you love the close to 50 mi EV range of the Volt and you got one heck of a great deal with the MA rebate and Fed tax credit!

Sorry I wasn't around to answer the charging question, at any rate- I charge at home from 240v L2 which is 3.3kW (measured at 13.75 amps at the plug compared to the PIP's 9.6amp draw at 240v) so I get about 10 EV mi/hour recharge at 240v.... same rate as the Chargepoint Station at work. The Volt is limited to 3.3kW charge rate at 240v so it still takes 4hrs to get your full recharge.

FWIW- here's the Volt forum to get involved with:
    GM-Volt: Chevy Volt Forum
    Overall it's a pretty good bunch, like here and every forum they've got a few um... characters... but 99% of the ppl over there are helpful.
    You'll recognize a few of the PC regulars there (including myself) posting almost daily, so make an account and start posting!

Again... congrats!

Rob

13. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Once you restart on the next outting- the Volt will default back to 8amp rate.
    GM was very concerned about overheating less than optimal outlets in older homes and made the Volt default to 8amp rate for 2014 models.

That will be irrelevant once you install a L@ 240v charger at home anyway- L2 for the Volt defaults to 3.3kW rate.

14. Jeff N

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    There's your problem right there. Your 14.5 miles on the PiP is about 1/3 over the EPA estimate while your 36 miles on the Volt is slightly under the EPA estimate. If I were driving your 2014 Volt a full charge would give me about 50 miles, not 36.

I think you have new car syndrome. You are lead-footing it a bit and trying the capabilities of the car. Also, the tires may need a little air and new tires take at least a few hundred miles to break-in and get lower rolling resistance.

Make sure you aren't using more climate controls than you need. Use "fan only" or Eco mode unless you really need more. Go into the center console config screen and turn off the "auto defog" option which tends to be too aggressive and energy wasting.

Because the Volt is heavier it is more sensitive to braking style for regen efficiency. Try using 'L' in city or stop and go driving instead of 'D' on the shifter. This will help you do mostly single-pedal driving and then stronger regen will help you avoid unnecessary friction braking.

Have fun!

#34 Jeff N, Jul 20, 2014
  15. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed!
    The Volt's got so much more EV power than the PIP, many former PIP owners, including me... do lead foot the Volt when they first get it.
    And why not.. It doesn't really matter, it's all EV anyway- so put it in Sport mode, get your yaya's out- then settle down in Normal mode and get 48-50 EV miles per charge.

Have fun anyway and don't worry about it- everyone gets 38-50EV miles out of the 2014 Volts, as a PiP owner- I guarantee you'll see 47-48EV mles in a week or too.

16. fortytwok

fortytwok Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

17. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Great move! You did real well!!!(y) Wish I could get some good deals here!
    Some one will catch me, it just takes a lot of work and about 6 weeks.

Just because your getting a volt does not mean you can't visit often!
    Keep us posted, always good to hear from you! As well as the other Volt People!:D

fortytwok likes this.
  18. fortytwok

fortytwok Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for the tips on the "L" vs "D" I had no clue !
    The rest though :
    - there were no climate controls used
    - was definitely no lead footing it as (except for the test drive) I wanted to test it out on the same routes same speed as my PiP
    - and re EPA estimate - that was always garbage on the PiP, I always killed their estimate. I was lifetime 129 MPGe in it and will do well on the Volt. Is it possible the Volt said full at 40 miles because it was the first charge ? Keep in mind too that the 36 you referred to was just what I added - I was down to 4 charged to 40... I'll keep you posted but I'll get that actual up bigtime if it reacts to how I've driven

19. fortytwok

fortytwok Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    btw Jeff, NYRob and anyone else who's interested :
    We squawk a bit about the controls mismeasuring miles to go on the PiP...
    but today driving the Volt on a time tested route that always took me 5-6 EV miles - the Volt did it in 3 !

so maybe this'll work out
    and thanks Rob for the forum tip, I'll join today

20. Jeff N

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    Okay. Probably the EV range estimate in the car will take a few charges to adjust to your actual driving style similar to the way the PiP estimate works. My long-term average is also around 129 MPGe in EV driving.

The center display will show the actual miles and gas consumption and will reset automatically after a full charge. You can get to that screen by pushing the "leaf" button near the start/stop button.