1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

considering trading my PiP for a Volt

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by fortytwok, Jul 18, 2014.

1. GenSao

GenSao Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Fortywork, Congrats on your purchase!

I was looking into the Volt vs. PiP as well, but valued the cargo space and extended 50 mpg dino fuel range more. I do occasional drives from SF Bay Area to LA area yearly.

2. fortytwok

fortytwok Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks I found that leaf button and current report card but is there any lifetime screen ? I liked having a current tank plus lifetime report on the PiP ?

I'm convinced the readings are off anyway. - just drove wife to the train. A hilly 7 mile RT that consistently took 7 ev miles in the pip. The volt started at 36 to go - went UP to 38 at one point and finished at 34 ev to go !
    That'd be awesome - 7 hilly miles in 2
    It's all good and it'll work out just trying to get a handle on what's real...

3. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    If you look at that screen again it will show an estimate of how many kWh you used during your 7 mile trip (or since the last full charge).

I think the 7 miles taking only 2 miles of estimated range is just an example of the baseline range estimation ratcheting upward while you were driving efficiently. The next time you do a full charge it will probably show 2-3 more miles of EV range than the 40 miles it showed the last time you charged.

There is no equivalent lifetime screen in the car unfortunately. You can get longer-term averages from OnStar by logging into the MyVolt.com website. OnStar will also send you an email once a month that tells you the gas and electric consumption and efficiency averages during that period along with other items like tire pressure, remaining oil lifetime and reminders about car related things.

If you have a smartphone you can also download the OnStar/GM app that let's you remotely control some aspects of the car. There is also a free app from OnStar/GM called VoltDC (Volt Driver's Challenge) that shows your daily EV and HV mileage in a calendar format and let's you compete against other owners in your region or the entire country for EV driving stats.

#43 Jeff N, Jul 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
    fortytwok likes this.
  4. JBumps

JBumps Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    FWIW: I seriously considered the same move this past weekend. The market is reasonable here for my PiP (21 on trade) and the Volt could have been had for cheap and would have come with 72 months at 0%.

I declined for two reasons, or three if I'm being honest.

1.) The Volt was simply too small. Not even a week ago I had 18 2x6x8 studs in the back and my daughter could still use her car seat. Not happening in the Volt. The 4 passenger issue was also too large a hurdle to overcome.

2.) If I wind up staying with the dealership group I'm working with, I'll have access to a demo, or option to purchase an even cheaper Fusion Energi.

3.) Said dealership group doesn't have a GM store and, since my neighbor owns them and in no small way controls my fate, probably not a great career move to show up in a new Chevy.

PriusC_Commuter likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  6. fortytwok

fortytwok Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yep, together we nailed it - charged up a 2nd time and I was at 42, went for a 12 mile spin charged up again and I'm at 44
    Strange business though - on that spin I started at 42, headed uphill into town and was at 40, headed back downhill and I was at 44
    So I gained 2 miles after a total of 12 miles :rolleyes:
    it is what it is - just sayin' and interested to see how high I end up on the estimates...

7. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Stop it.
    42, 40, 44. You are making me cry.:cry:
    Until, I put my garden cart in back, my lawn mower, weed wacker,shovel, rake, ax, and so forth.:D

8. silverone

silverone Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats on the Volt, fortytwok.

I've only had mine a few weeks, but can give you an idea of how long my range estimates took to become more realistic. I initially started out with a 35 mile range estimated when fully charged. After approximately 200 miles driving, my range estimates at full charge got to 45 plus. When I drive the car like I did my Gen 2 Prius in semi-hypermiled 50+MPG style, I pretty easily hit 52 miles of charge (with a few left) before recharging. During drives including downhill sections, I've been above 56 estimated miles remaining, although I haven't finished that high yet.

I've since settled back into driving a little more spiritedly and have been getting about 45 miles to a charge with no special driving techniques at all. These miles include doing more heavy throttle starts showing the smooth quick acceleration to friends and coworkers as opportunities have presented themselves. I still enjoy and recommend driving in L for the mostly one-pedal driving experience. It feels natural to hold the pedal slightly down for the 0 Net Kwh glides like the old Prius.

In addition to the sites mentioned by jeff N, I'd suggest reviewing/signing up at voltstats.net to compare your driving style to others by climate or region. I was surprised at the median %EV in this fairly large group being nearly 80%.

Like Rob but less impressive, I'm driving on dealer gas at 1400 miles, although I haven't used any since getting the car home from the dealer 100 miles away. This becomes much easier with L2 charging.

Enjoy the car!

Jeff N and fortytwok like this.
  9. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)I'm not considering anything other than my current Prius Plug In for the foreseeable future. If I was considering a Volt, I'd wait for the new generation version. There has to be some advancements that would warrant waiting if it's out within the next year. No dis r-e-s-p-e-c-t for those that have already made the switch.

#49 -1-, Jul 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  10. retired4999

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Why did I get a link to lawn mowers in my post #47?
    I don't know how that happened.

Fixed it I guess, still do not know why how ever.

11. silverone

silverone Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like the site may be using Skimlinks as a small revenue generator.

12. retired4999

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks! I thought I was going nuts. Oh that's right I am already nuts! Oh well.:confused:

13. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    We have a 2010 Prius and a 2014 Volt. So far on trip B we have well over 1,000 miles and have used .3 gal's
    of gas. My wife has a 32 mile round trip commute to her business, and when she come homes she charges
    it for a couple of hours, 240 Volt, and I take it to work, when I work graveyard, 23 mile round trip. When I return
    home I plug it in it in for 2-3 hours, and when she leaves for work later in the morning she has a full charge or nearly full charge for her day. We could not go that far on 3 tenths of a gallon of gas for well over 1,000 miles in a plug in
    prius. It would be nice if the Volt did have room for 5 passengers, got 50 mpg in gas mode on regular gas. If that
    was the case nobody would be buying a Prius.

fotomoto likes this.
  14. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've found the Volt's EV range estimator to be quite accurate, much more so than the PIP's estimator. My trip to work is exactly 28mi. On a fair weather day it usually burn through exactly 28 EV miles to get me there. One day when it was indicating 48 EV mi range- I ran the battery dry- and got precisely 48 miles out of it. I'd say you can pretty much rely on it's estimate day in and out.

15. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My daily commute is the definition of mild and efficient, with just a 5 mile freeway section on the way in and none on the way out.

The last week or so my morning range estimate's at 54 miles.

16. fortytwok

fortytwok Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds good, I can't pass judgement on that yet until it figures out I'm a 50+ range guy !
    Keeps adding to that EV estimate - I'm now up to 46 after 3 days

17. PriusC_Commuter

PriusC_Commuter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    For those of you who have switched from the PiP to the Volt, did you also switch to TOU electricity rates, or stay on a tier structured plan?

18. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Congrats on your Volt. For your commute and usage,it sounds like Volt is better for you. The incentives and discounted pretty much gave you a free trade-in.

Keep us posted with your composite MPGe. It'll be interesting.

I hope your driving pattern does not change. I went though a 5 months transition when I couldn't charge my PiP. Am I glad I had the 50 MPG gas engine that averaged 56 MPG.

#58 usbseawolf2000, Jul 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  19. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I changed to TOU with my PiP. We moved all other heavy usages, such as laundry and dishwashing, to off peak (or at least the middle rate, "part-peak") to the extent practical, and our electric bill went DOWN significantly after getting the PiP. We are fortunate that where we live (south San Francisco Bay area), that air conditioning (inherently during peak rate) is only required a few days of the year. Having a smart thermostat programmed with the TOU schedule doesn't hurt, either.

rxlawdude and PriusC_Commuter like this.
  20. fortytwok

fortytwok Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks Seawolf
    My driving pattern won't change - just an extra trip or two into Boston each month which is 26 miles each way and used to be out of range. Today I had to make one such trip and off a full charge it looks like I'll hit over 60 miles.
    I've driven 42 and the estimate says 23 to go...
    Hell, the way Retired drives he'd probably get 80 miles on a summer day !

I'm probably good to have on both threads - after driving both I see positives in each vehicle.
    I completely get the smaller interior is a deal breaker for some - I had to put my golf clubs in the back seat !

I will say this - I was all about price and it had to make financial sense.
    The 4k premium in 2013 didn't - but now you've got MA handing out $2500 and insane but Bumps?! WV gives $10,000 !?!? For the same reason I'd never consider the advanced PiP but hey to each their own and some people are gadget guys/girls

#60 fortytwok, Jul 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2014