1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

considering trading my PiP for a Volt

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by fortytwok, Jul 18, 2014.

1. fortytwok

fortytwok Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    don't forget the SR member who said it starts slowing with an hour to go...

regarding the Chargepoint monitoring - I never did charge to full so you're correct in that I may have not seen the power slowing down as I used to in the PiP. In the PiP that was a crazy quick drop that lasted just minutes.
    Chargepoint only gives 5 minute intervals in the IPhone btw - you can hit refresh every minute but it will only give new stats after 5 minutes

The reason I didn't bother staying til full was it was adding EV miles so damn slow ! I was there for 75 minutes when all of a sudden it was adding at a much slower rate once the Volt got past 40 EV.

Something is off with the Volt - at a minimum the time to fully charge as reported by the monitor. That was at least 30 minutes conservative today

#101 fortytwok, Jul 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  2. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    And then a minor detail that jeff touched on, the TMS at times will only be the small coolant pump circulating coolant through the battery to the dedicated battery radiator/heat exchanger, with the variable speed radiator fans (made in Italy) quietly moving air through the radiators.
    So quiet I have to lean down to hear if the TMS is doing anything!

3. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you need more EV range, and don't mind giving up nearly everything else, go with the Volt.

4. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Greg,
    You're definitely not giving up performance and handling! That's a big one to some!! And a whole lot of quiet fun !!
    And it sounds like forty gets to drive for free! And not support the bad guys,, but let's not get into that...

And forty, the EV mile guessometer is just a number made up by your previous drive.
    The bars of the battery icon are real.
    And the measure of how you drove last can be found on the energy display page. It shows your EV miles driven and your Kwr consumed.
    Do the math and you have miles/Kwh.
    That number can rival what the PiP gets, so don't listen to "Oh, the Volt is so much less efficient in EV than the PiP".
    Besides, we're talking 1 cent per mile differences.

"Put the spurs to it, Chuck" and enjoy that performance!! You can save those pennies later !

#104 Bill Norton, Jul 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  5. fortytwok

fortytwok Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I was thinking the same response to Greg - certainly giving up space but the Volt has a nice kick to it and its nice not to worry about speed - especially on the hills around here - without wondering if you'll run out of EV miles.
    I do trust Toyota more so there's that on the other side but so far so good and the Volts been out there - 5 yrs ?

Bill - I understand about the EV miles - estimate and all but this was me doing the same routes the same weather the same speed. Now that I've stabilized I've been at 58/59 after every single charge.
    Now its possible the Volt monitor is off but in 10 minute increments it was adding about 2.5 miles to the EV total and I observed this following day as well. Once I got over 40 maybe low 40's it slowed considerably - like half that rate.
    Now if you're saying some fans may have kicked in so quietly I didn't hear them and that could've cut the rate of EV add then I'd have to say that's possible...

as an aside - have you noticed the Volt says you have EV miles of "X" - you then start charging and it subtracts 2 miles ?

I sort of hate taking more time on a PiP site but I think many are interested...
    Bill - one more thing -
    and you know I like my purchase but the Volt isn't getting the same miles/kWh as the PiP. I wouldn't have expected that either but its ok with me given the other positives like 59 EV miles !
    Very few can really compare - maybe NYRob if his daily drives were consistent but I was up there in MPGe in the PiP and doing the same boring drives, few stop signs/lights at the same speed I've been at 5.2 miles / kWh in the Volt.
    I was 5.8 lifetime in the PiP and I think 6.1 when I hit 170+ MPGe for 1,000 miles

edit
    so the resulting math : 1,000 miles would take 192 kw... 192 / 33.7 / .85 = 6.7
    (I'm not adding .5 to that 6.7 because unlike the PiP the Volt isn't making me use gas every 124 miles). 1,000 / 6.6 = 149 MPGe
    Pretty damn good but I was able to hit 178 in the PiP

#105 fortytwok, Jul 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  6. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    forty,
    I'm just saying using the EV guessometer as a measure will be inconsistent, at least as cold weather gets here.
    The battery bars are a constant measure and so is the 'killawatt' Kwh reading. It also shows instantaneous wattage so you can monitor that slope at the end of charge. I never watched for that.
    I did see that no matter if TMS is running the AC compressor and fans at a higher rate or just the coolant pump and fans at the lowest rate,
    the wattage was always a rock solid ~1.2Kw.
    But now with a $285 L2 at home, I don't care. Weekends and after work outings are so much nicer !! And cheaper! No money going over there...

PiP vs. Volt, like I said, pennies.....

7. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    FWIW- here's the Chargepoint graph for the PIP and below that for the Volt:
    Charging Session.jpg FULL RECHARGE FROM EMPTY.jpg

8. fortytwok

fortytwok Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    great pics Rob - case closed
    With the PiP I rarely kept charging after that big drop as it added so little. With the Volt yesterday I saw no dip in EV add so I'm thinking Bill was correct that something like fans were running - not impacting the power in but the EV add rate.

I have a pretty pic too - the big 60 ! I was starting to think that wasn't happening as it'd plateaued...
    [​IMG]

silverone, JBumps, ny_rob and 3 others like this.
  9. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    60EV miles range? Damn!!
    You're good.
    My best has been 51 EV miles.

Here's my Chargepoint graph from this morning... (I rolled in w/3 EV mi left on the batt.)
    Untitled.jpg