1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Constant beeping sound?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Waly Sanaye, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Waly Sanaye

Waly Sanaye New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,

I have a 2005 Prius.

As soon as I start the car I hear a constant beeping sound, and it continues while I am driving.

The constant beeping sound stops when I shut down the car.

Since the brake, ABS and VSC lights were on, and I had NO power brakes, I changed the 12v battery; however, it did NOT fix any of the issues.

Any help?

Thank you!

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Stop driving the car. The presence of the BRAKE/ABS/VSC warning lights, the reduction in braking effectiveness, and the warning beep all convey the message that the car is unsafe to drive. Apparently you did not recognize the significance of that?

Have the car towed to your local Toyota dealer for assistance. Or if you want to DIY, get Mini VCI so that you can read the DTC logged by the skid control ECU.

Mendel Leisk, Raytheeagle and ITBland like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

how many miles on her?

surprising that a new 12 volt battery didn't fix all the issues with your car, that's usually all it takes for prius repair.(n)

4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You definitely want to check out those warning lights in your owners manual. It may be interesting reading for you. Glad to hear you're still able to park the car and turn it off, as opposed to being crashed on the side of the road.

5. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Comical. The audible warning should be changed to “Danger Will Robinson, STOP Driving the Car!”

Hopefully you will have done as Patrick recommends: tow the car to a competent repair facility.

Read the owners manual. It is in your best interest. You will see and understand what the warning lights and sounds mean.

Stop ignoring warnings the vehicle has been telling you:
    visual warning lights: ABS, VSC
    audio: constant sound coming from the back
    tactile: lack of normal brake pedal feeling

You ignored all 3 and are still alive (assumed). STOP pressing your luck, if you wish to live/remain uninjured.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Unmentioned heretofore in the thread is that you can get an abridged form of your brake trouble codes without any special code reader, by using a short piece of wire and counting some light blinks.

That might help you skip ahead to the part where you post the trouble codes here and get helpful responses, and not just people piling on you for ignoring the warning alarm. :)

-Chap

RachaelH and rbdigital like this.
  7. fyourprius

fyourprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just had this same issue happen to me today. The door open light + red caution light was on with a constant beep while in drive. It turned out to be the inside of the door was dented where it presses up against the driver door sensor. Now, my Prius has 280,000 miles on it, so that may be part of it. But I just put a couple layers of two way tape on the inside of the door where it presses up agains the sensor and voilà! Problem solved!

bisco likes this.
  8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It wasn't the same issue. The thread was started by someone who had the brake system warning alarm going off.

But your tape on the door solution might work for somebody else who is hearing the door alarm. (The way the original post had the brake warning lights on, whereas you had the door open light on, would be one way to tell the difference.)

RachaelH and Skibob like this.
  9. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    NO. OP in Post #1 reports
    Your problem vs OP's problem VERY DIFFERENT. Your's does NOT involve brake failure.

Skibob likes this.