1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Constant connection lost with Techstream

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by johnnychimpo, Jan 7, 2022.

1. johnnychimpo

johnnychimpo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello everyone Im in the process of getting my break actuator replaced. I gambled on a used part and found it constantly lost connection with Tech stream. Anyway it was bad so I only lost my time. I put the old part just for fun and found tech stream to work most of the time at least stay connected enough to get the breaks working.
    So two questions.

1.when doing a bleed procedure it says break warning will blink fast then slow while doing the linear calibration. Mine never did that it went straight to blinking fast and not even the the break warining light it was the abs and the ! that blinked fast emediately. is this normal not sure if the procedure completed successfully.

2.Is it normal for Tech stream to lose connectivity with the part you are trying to trouble shoot? as mine did constantly.

My usb cable came from ebay ant he software likely not hacked but its all I got. Im just wondering what everyone's experience is.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In my experience, you can definitely tell when it is doing the linear solenoid calibration. It makes a bunch of repeated click-whoosh noises of different length and loudness, and then the dash light switches to fast blink.

If the ECU doesn't think it needs the linear solenoid calibration, it won't do it, and the light blinks fast from square one.

If you disagree and think it does need the calibration, there's a procedure in the repair manual to clear it. Then it will think it needs it.

There is something about the parking brake. It might only apply to the non-Techstream steps, I don't remember exactly. They doubled up and used the same set of non-Techstream steps to request two different calibration procedures, and the parking brake is the other input telling the ECU which procedure you want. So make sure it's on or off, whichever the manual says for the linear solenoid procedure.

My experience with the first dongle I was using, a Mini VCI, was wretched. It would never show me an engine data list for anything, and during brake procedure it would disconnect every time I turned around. I got a different dongle and lo and behold, I could get through a whole brake bleed, and see engine data.

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The VCI cable or whatever that came with my Toyota dealer Panasonic heavy duty notebook I can't remember the model number but you know the ones the military looking things The VCI cable that was supplied to me with this computer is not original text stream The original text stream unit the cable physically wore out rubber coming off the cable etc The new cable that was supplied to me with this Panasonic notebook and text stream good through 2021 with 5000 plus more logins and all the computer data and everything downloaded to the Panasonic and stored right on the Panasonic I don't have to go to Toyota and download it because I don't have a login for Toyota The VCI cable that they supplied me with this Panasonic is an aftermarket that meets the j standard for the type of cable we're trying to use This one also has a red light in it that when data is moving through the VCI cable there is green or red arrows that flicker in the direction of the data that's moving up and down the cable This happens in the red plug that I would say is your OBD2 input it's what plugs right into the car it's a big red cable and that will have arrows that are constantly moving back and forth while data is moving from the car to the tech stream computer and back You see this all the time if that's not moving text stream is not reading I think that cable was about $21 online I did not purchase it The Toyota dealer did so they could keep using their computer I don't think they ordered it from Toyota I think the guy said they they bought it online then the Toyota dealer went out of business and I bought the whole computer and cable loaded from the dealer

4. johnnychimpo

johnnychimpo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you that is super helpful that is exactly the behavior the car was performing I guess it does not need the linear adjustment.