1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Constant whirring noise with power on but not the engine

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by michael kit, Sep 18, 2022.

1. michael kit

michael kit New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Not find my description on this forum so far. Have a 2007 that I just bought and when I got it home noticed a whirring noise. It sounds kinda like wind. But the noise begins as soon as the vehicle gets power. Before even the ignition goes on or the vehicle moves at all. It's a constant whirring noise that gets slightly louder and then softer every few seconds but it doesn't go away under any circumstances except when the vehicle is power off. It makes no difference if the brake is on or not, doesn't change when the ignition is on and I drive it. The same soft whirring noise whirrs slightly up and down without any change - it's not impacted by applying the brake, starting the engine, movement of the vehicle, air conditioning on or off. It begins as soon as it gets power and remains constant until it's powered off. Anyone else have this happen? It's a mystery to me and my next stop is the Toyota dealership because it's not a noise I want to live with. I can't seem to find a file format that can get uploaded or I'd attach a sound recording. Almost sounds like flute on the recording.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You should open the hood when the car is in READY mode (when it's on), does the noise get louder? Does it sound like a stuck cd that's trying to eject over and over again?

3. michael kit

michael kit New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Yes! I can hear it a little better and it seems to be emanating from around the fusebox area.
    I also heard some gurgling toward the rear center around the engine where there appears be some small tanks of something, maybe that's not related, just don't hear that from inside the car - mostly concerned about the whirring noise that I know hear is coming from under or around the fuse box.

4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!
    Good call. Do you have any warning lights being displayed on the dash?

FYI : you're being moderated until you've posted 5 times.

5. michael kit

michael kit New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Good to know. No, no warning lights.

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Right behind the fuse box area you contains the brake actuator/accumulator. This is a common failure when old and should throw a code if it has failed (continuous whirring). This is not a cheap repair, could be upwards of $2000 to $3000

7. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  8. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Believe it or not if you're lucky you can go to LKQ or copart and find an '07 to 9 if that's what you have Gen 2 and you can buy that brake actuator from them you'll have to take it out and they'll probably charge you $65 and if you look carefully or you're carrying your noco genius with you you may be even able to apply power and see what lights light up most of the time when I'm at either of these two places the fob is still in the car might even be in the slot or laying on the MFD edge and I can hook up my noco push the key in the slot hit the button a lot of times and see the display and whatnot sometimes the HV batteries are out but it'll still light up and you may be able to determine if the car is there because of the brake problem usually not. It's usually there for a blown engine getting smacked in the body etc I've had good luck with this and I can take them out so quickly and they're so inexpensive it's almost mind-boggling not to do it.

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you do have a failed brake actuator/accumulator I would suggest you only buy a new one. The used ones may be similar to what you have, it can fail in a short period of time. The labor is quite intensive so you probably won't want to do this again.

10. michael kit

michael kit New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thank you all so much. It's definitely not good news but I really appreciate the comments and your willingness to help this fool. I should have had the car inspected. I guess I'll take it down to Toyota or is this something a skilled Toyota mechanic can handle? There are no codes popping up so now I wonder if the seller had otherwise hidden this defect. How urgent is this repair?

11. michael kit

michael kit New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I see the article says it's urgent, thank you for that. However the sound recording in the article sounds nothing like the noise I'm hearing. I'm hearing a constant whirring noise like wind that blows blows stronger and then weaker at about 5 second intervals. The noise in the article recording sounded more like an intermittent buzzing. I have an appt. for Friday at Toyota so I hope they can accurately diagnose it - I guess I'm still trying to be hopeful. Again, thank you!!

bisco likes this.
  12. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Maybe you can post a recording from your phone?

A diagnostic from Toyota will likely cost you $150

13. michael kit

michael kit New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I have a recording but I can't seem to save it in a format that will let me post it.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    might just be a pump or something simple. prius make a lot of different noises, you get used to them.

maybe even the hvac fan.

how many miles on her?

15. michael kit

michael kit New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    It has 109K miles. It sounds more like a whistle rather than the clicking buzzing sound in the article above.

Does anybody know what format this site will let me upload a recording on? I've tried mp4, mov, wav, m3u, none let me upload???

bisco likes this.
  16. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A whistling sound is just the pump noise from when you shut the car off (10 seconds), or when you turn the car on (10 seconds). It should not continuous run non stop.

17. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe the HVAC coolant pump with air bubbles in the system? Low engine coolant? Maybe even just the Inverter Cooling Water Pump?

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i know you tube works.

whirring sound may be the inverter coolant pump. you can tell the brake actuator sound because it starts when you open the drivers door, and it is definitely a buzz

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    109k is great, sounds like you found a good one.

20. michael kit

michael kit New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    That's helpful - b/c the door open/closed makes no difference. As soon as it gets in Ready mode the whirring starts