1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Constantly being Bullied on the Road ...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by GusTheCat, Jan 15, 2009.

1. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Sure you can fix stupid, but that requires removing them from the gene pool

2. yardman 49

yardman 49 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I travel a lot for work. I used to read the newpaper during supper. But now that I can read the PC Forums (mobile version) on my blackberry, I get so much fun out of reading threads like this one that I can't get to the newspaper before I'm done eating...:)

But I had to get back to my laptop to be able to respond to this thread. I drive a Chevy Uplander minivan (for work, when I drive and not fly) in addition to the Prius. I have driven in most major American (and some Canadian) cities, both in my Uplander and many different models of rental cars. Here are some of my musings on this thread:

Lately, I think that other drivers have been staying too far back from me on the road when I'm driving my Chevy Uplander. I think that it is out of respect and grief for Chevrolet...:(. has anyone else noticed this when driving their Chevy's???

(Ok, that last paragraph was a joke. I believe that there are indeed those that are either curious of, or even hateful towards, Priuses and their owners.)

- I have been aggressively tailgated in different types of vehicles, even in my Uplander, which is a very large minivan, almost as big as many non-extended pickups (if fact the front of it is very "pickup truck" like). I've only had the Prius a few weeks, so my experience is limited with it. But no bullying incidents as of yet with the Prius.

- I live in Kentucky, but grew up in the Northeast. I have absolutely no fear or dislike for driving in any major city, even during heavy rush hour traffic. I can drive aggressively when needed, and can also be very laid back. (I tell people back in the Midwest when they complain about "Boston" drivers that they are not "rude", but simply "efficient" drivers. And I really mean this.)

But one thing that I won't do is "sit" in the middle lane of a multilane highway. If you want to feel "persecuted" in your Prius, just try driving in the middle lane and going slower than the speed limit. Some drivers do this (with any type of car) because they don't want to be bothered with drivers exiting and entering the highway. This irritates drivers going faster than you, and in many states is actually illegal. It causes people to pass you on both sides when traffic starts getting heavy. Unless all lanes of the highway are crowded, the right most lane if for travelling at or under the speed limit. If you are keeping pace with the traffic, then use the middle lane. The left lane should always be for passing (unless, as already stated, the road is congested and all lanes are crowded).

- I drive defensively, always looking in my side and rear mirrors, trying to be aware of the traffic all around me. If I see someone coming up quickly behind me, I pull to the right hand lanes if possible. Yes, they may be going way over the speed limit. But I'm not their daddy, and they don't need to be taught a lesson by me.

:rant: (Rant warning):
    -
    I tire of people defending their "right to speed", by saying that if they don't go 5, 10, 15 or more miles over the posted speed that they would be "putting themselves in danger", possibly getting rear-ended. I almost always just set the cruise control and drive at the posted speed. I drive all types of interstate highways, including the 2 lane interstates in the Midwest, as well (as previously stated) as driving on the interstates around many of the U.S.'s and Canada's largest cities. I've never had a problem after over 35 years of driving with getting rear-ended when driving at the posted speed. In any city. Not even close. That includes Atlanta, Austin, Baltimore, Boston, Chicago, Cincinnati, DC, Detroit, Denver, Hartford, Houston, Indianapolis, Los Angeles, Louisville, Nashville, Newark, Philly, Pittsburgh, Providence, Quebec City, Salt Lake City, San Diego, Seattle, St. Louis, Toronto, and many, many others. I've only gotten rear ended when stopped , not when driving at the speed limit. But I do drive defensively, and am always checking around and behind me. That's what mirrors are for.

The "speed limit" is not the "speed suggestion". I wish that I could go 80 many times (and occassionally this may happen when I forget to set the cruise control). It does indeed take self discipline to drive at the speed limit when many others are not. But I have found that if I drive the limit (again, staying in the right hand lane), then others around me seem to slow down. If I go faster, those around me speed up. It's the "herd" mentality.

:violin: If you don't like having to occassionally slow down for merging traffic when in the right hand lane, well....too bad. You can always drive the middle or left hand lanes. Just be prepared to be pulling to the right often to let others pass. Otherwise, don't think that you are being "persecuted" when it's really just because you are blocking the passing lanes.

- If someone occassionally does truly "tailgate" me (say, maybe 30 or 40 feet behind me at highway speeds) when I am in the most right hand lane, I will let off the throttle and let the car gradually lose speed. I watch them with one eye while doing this. Most of the time, they will go around me on the left. I slow down verrryyy gradually, so that they don't even necessarily think that it is intentional. This works pretty well for those who are just distracted, and even for those who are being rude.

However, there have been a few times when on the Midwest 2-lane interstates, that I've had people come up behind me and stay there when there are absolutely no others cars around for thousands of feet. These people may be back further (say 50 to 80 feet) than a true "tailgater", but they come up behind me, then match my speed and just stay there, even though I'm in the right hand lane, and they could easily pass on the left. What are they doing?? Drafting?? (and they are not even driving hybrids).

The times that this has happened to me, I will try the "gradual slow down" techique. If that doesn't work I will put on my blinker and quicky move to the passing lane, then carefully but firmly apply the brakes (being certain no one is anywhere behind me), which takes them by surprise as they go sailing past me, after which I pull back into the right lane.

As far as really aggressive drivers on secondary roads with "an axe to grind", I play it by ear. I usually ignore them, and then they go sailing past at the first opportunity.

I'm not saying that there are not real hybrid haters out there. But there may also be many that are "just curious". As someone has already mentioned, it is mostly a "state of mind" thing. Once you stop thinking that "they are out to get me", you find out that most people really are not.

3. zonie911

zonie911 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I like the "Italian rule of driving".

4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    "Whats-a behind you-a, is not-a important!"

5. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Brilliant! :)
    Driving in the middle lane below speed limit is illegal?! :eek::confused:
    This is news to me.
    Sounds scary. :eek:

6. yardman 49

yardman 49 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius

I need to clarify my original comments here: for "limited access highways" that have 3 lanes or more, the middle lanes are for "through traffic", according to the Kentucky Driver Manual, as stated in the following excerpt:

" USE OF LANES
    Smooth driving allows you to keep more distance between yourself and other drivers and also helps improve fuel economy. If there are three or more lanes in one direction, the middle lane or lanes are for through traffic. The left lane is for drivers who want to pass or turn left. The right lane is used by drivers who want to go slower or who are entering or turning right. If a road has only two lanes in one direction, the right lane generally has the smoothest traffic flow, with the left lane being reserved for the passing of other vehicles. Remaining in the left lane on a limited access highway is illegal."

The bold face type is actually in the driver's manual; I did not add that.

I may be wrong to flat out state that it is "illegal" to drive slower than the speed limit in the middle lanes; I inferred that from the statements about the left and right lanes, and that the middle lanes are for "through" traffic, with the right lane being for "....drivers who want to go slower...".

In any case, it is definitely illegal (in Kentucky at least) to remain in the left lane on a limited access highway. For a two lane highway, that would mean that when not passing in the left lane, you would "cruise" in the right hand lane. And many highways are two lane between cities in many parts of Kentucky, and the U.S. as a whole.

7. yardman 49

yardman 49 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I need to make another correction/clarification to my original post.

As I was driving today, I realized that the tailgating diistance that I stated above would actually be more like when someone is 40 to 50 feet behind me, (when going 65 mph), with no one else around. This after they came up behind me from way, way back, but then refuse to go around, even though the nearest other cars may be literally miles away from us.

I've only had this happen a handful of times over the years. Maybe the drivers are just "spaced out" talking on the cell phone, obsessed with the dirt on my rear bumper, whatever.

If the "gradual slow down" technique does not cause them to go around me, then the "move to the left lane and quick slow down technique" will definitely work. But don't get me wrong...I don't come to a screeching halt, I just quicky lose about 10 to 15 mph (dropping my speed to about 50 mph from 65, for instance), which forces them to pass me on the right; after which I pull back in behind them, and let them continue on their way.

And I have never done this when there are any cars within a half mile of us. Usually in such situations, any traffic is actually miles behind us. That actually is what makes this "mystery" type of tailgating so weird. Again, this is a very rare occurrence.

8. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just pull off onto the shoulder when I'm fed up with some clown following me.
    I will follow a car doing a little over the limit, the police radar hits their car first. I don't tail gate just follow at a safe distance. I've also found a slight slipstream at 2 seconds behind a B double or road train at 110km/h which is a great fuel saver. Trucks are not allowed to go over 100km/h so they are speeding at 110, I'm legal but saving a little fuel. I avoid this behaviour when there are loose stones on the road.

9. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Three cheers for New Mexico. I've never been tailgated like described here, or had people honk, yell or gesture at me. I do notice cars swerving around me fairly frequently when I drive in the city, but I'm pretty sure they just have not noticed that the upcoming light is red.

I do tend to drive slower than the speed limit only where other cars can pass. On one road that I love to glide on and has only one lane, I go out of my way to move to the far right hand side of the road to make it easier for the car behind to see when it is safe to pass.

Mutual courtesy is great. I sympathize with you people who do not get to enjoy it.

10. nascrlvr

nascrlvr nascrlvr

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    wb9tyj............I don't know if it is a "nascar mentality".......I love NASCAR and I surely don't drive that way!!!.....or if it is just the result of people with too much on their plates driven to be there first..... I believe in the "tortoise and the hare" philosophy. I will meet up with them at the next red light. Has that happened to you? Maybe this attitude is also just a result of a few years under my belt...who knows??? I just let them go around me........chuckle to myself....and turn the music up louder!!!

11. Nortnarg

Nortnarg Prius~To go before

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ooops wrong thread!

12. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This is typical drunk driver behavior. With impared perception, they figure they will just latch on to somebody who they assume is not drunk. Being drunk they need to be that close to judge distances.

13. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had a lady come up pretty close behind at freeway speed. She moved over, the real problem then came up reaallly close ... dude in an old Scion Xb , 20 something.

I flipped on the emergency blinkers, he stuck his tongue out, hands to ears, total jerk. Gave him the bird and motion to back off. Grabbed cell phone and pretended to dial. He changed lanes, went by without eye contact.

I called the CHP later. They said just flip on turn signal and move over when able.

14. yardman 49

yardman 49 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Wow! Thanks, for the explanation, Donee. Kind of scary. I never made this connection. But that certainly explains the "mystery tailgating" syndrome!

15. GusTheCat

GusTheCat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    What is a chore to the goose is a game to the gander. Without the Nascar attitude you missed all the fun. 'Ts why I heard engine gunning and brake squeal every other night on the neighborhood road which leads to a high school. "Dude I am just checking out my dad's car", "Babe, hold my beer, watch this!"

- Just kidding.

16. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What annoys me the most are drivers (all types) that drive s-l-o-w in the left lane and end up impeding traffic in adjacent lanes because people are moving right to go around the left lane bandit. What I usually do when someone tailgates is that I move over and then follow them at a safe distance and use them as a shield from speed enforcement. You'd be surprised how annoyed tailgaters get when you end up following them albeit with a safer distance than they were following you.

17. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I was hit from behind on the highway by a drunk doing exactly that. He charged up from behind, fell back, moved up, and latched on at a close tailgate. After a few moments I thought "What the hell is wrong with this guy? There are three open lanes. Maybe if I slow down he will go around." When I started to slow, he didn't. The impact was too light to cause any damage, but it is still scary at highway speed.

The police picked him up about 20 miles down the road. He was completely pickled.

Tom

18. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    It's terrifying just to look into the rear view mirror these days. People are doing anything but watching the traffic in front of them: putting on makeup, turning around to talk to the backseat passengers, reaching down to find the cell phone and then start talking ... :mad:

19. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Just added some real photos here:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-m...-out-rear-view-mirror-windows.html#post848749