1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Constantly Overflowing Coolant

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 09Prius2, Apr 6, 2018.

1. 09Prius2

09Prius2 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So the prius coolant has been boiling over. It just spent all day at Toyota to be told nothing is wrong and everything is working properly.

Of course it's still overheating as I left. They said it passed the compression test and had air in the system. My independent mechanic tested the radiator for exhaust gases and found nothing.

I've been bleeding out the system following all the instructions on this several times daily. Nothing has worked. Of course the dealer scantool didn't help either.

The overflow is not returning to the radiator. Even once completely cold there is still tremendous pressure left in the system. I've replaced the radiator cap so far.

The cooling fans are supposedly working as well. Even though they aren't running as it spews all over the place.

I've been through so many gallons of coolant at this point I am simply draining the reservoir and pouring it back into the radiator.

Any ideas?

probswithmygen2 and SFO like this.
  2. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The cooling fan should turn on any time the A/C is ran. This is common on most all cars. There is temperature sensor somewhere that turns it on either directly or turned on by the cars computer. Try turning the A/C on and go from there. It is difficult to get trapped air out of the Gen 2 Prius.

The engine temp sensor should be on the cylinder head and a couple of relays turn them on, check for blown fuses.

#2 padroo, Apr 6, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    nssdiver and SFO like this.
  3. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Besides problem related to fans it could also be a bad thermostat or faulty coolant pump (or something else). But the system just shouldn’t be this hard to diagnose. You just need to take it to a place where they know what they’re doing.

What you can do is monitor the coolant temperature from OBD2 from cold start to see how temperature rises when the engine heats up. From that you should be able to tell if it’s bad sensor (or something related to it), bad water pump (have not heard this happening with a Prius) or bad thermostat/air in cooling system.

NortTexSalv04Prius and SFO like this.
  4. 09Prius2

09Prius2 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Once again according to the dealer scantool everything is working properly. All pumps, fan, thermostat. They said the thermostat opens and fan comes on at 202 and brings it back to 181.

5. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Is your radiator cap working properly?

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I would talk to Toyota corporate about their response, and try another dealership.

SFO likes this.
  7. Mikesvagen

Mikesvagen Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Did this problem start out of nowhere? Had you opened up the cooling system for any reason prior this issue popping up?

iPhone

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Would it be fair to say this is not just "according to the dealer scantool" but in fact "according to the dealer", reporting back what they did with their scantool?

If so, there is an extra layer of interpretation in between that scantool and us. They might be doing a perfectly fine job on the interpretation. But when there's a picture that doesn't seem to make sense, it can help to list off all the places where something could be getting overlooked.

-Chap

9. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What does "boiling over" mean? Were you able to demonstrate this problem to the dealer service writer or the technician?

How do you know that the engine is overheating?

What does it mean that the coolant is spewing all over the place? Is there a leak in the system, or does this happen only when you open the radiator cap?

Do the radiator fans operate when the air conditioner compressor is running?

There seems to be a large communication gap since you are told that everything is working properly, yet you believe that a problem persists.

SFO and jerrymildred like this.
  10. EbonBetta

EbonBetta Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Not sure about prius but if there is a hole in the overflow tube from the radior to the coolant overflow tank it will draw air back into the system. Replace the overflow tube with fresh tubing.
    Normally if there is coolant in the overflow tank the radiator will be full. If not there is a hole someplace in that overflow tubing. usually they crack right where they are clamped.

#10 EbonBetta, Apr 7, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    SFO likes this.
  11. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1) If the engine were overheating, the thermometer looking warning lamp would be on. That was not indicated, so we can rule out overheating.

2) Both the dealer and kaputi agree that there are no combustion gasses in the cooling system, so we can eliminate internal causes.

3) There should be a free flow of coolant between the ENGINE radiator and the overflow bottle with the radiator cap and overflow bottle cover removed. Verify this before doing anything else.

4) We are talking about the ENGINE cooling system and not the HSD cooling system, right?

Finally, getting all the air out of these can be a chore, especially for those who do not repair vehicles for a living and honestly even for some that do.

12. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Has your thermostat been replaced before?

Pretty sure mine runs steady at 185F (might've been up to 193F in AZ or Texas, or so said the Torque app), otherwise the fan comes on until it cools back down to 185F.

One time the belt came off and Torque gave me a warning that the coolant was over 200F (had set an audible warning for 200F), a couple of seconds later the dash lit up like a xmas tree. Not sure at what temp the dash goes crazy, might be at 212F give or take.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  13. 09Prius2

09Prius2 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Most of the questions addressed were already answered in the initial post.

Yes it overheats that's why I am here.

There can be no return from the overflow due to the constant pressure even after the engine has completely cooled. It will still spew all over the place when opened the next day.

I can hear the fans come on briefly.

I don't know if the wiring might be too saturated from the constant deluge from the overflow. Today there was smoke coming from somewhere beneath where the I opened the bleeder valve and it shot straight out onto some connections and a thin trail of smoke came up, after overheating so bad it shut down for 3 hours with no advance warning.

#13 09Prius2, Apr 8, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  14. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you the original owner, and how many miles?

When did you first notice this problem and under what scenario?

Do you have a android phone, a OBD2 blue tooth adapter and a copy of Torque?

If so, follow the advice valde3 offered in post #3 above. You need to watch the engine warm up and know at what temperature the fan turns on.

Did you check if the radiator fan comes on with the AC? (like padroo in post #2, and Patrick in post #9 suggested)

Your thermostat should be open well before 200F, and the fan should also be turning on before reaching that temperature. Maybe the factory mechanics missed something, or was it the service tech that gave the numbers you mentioned above?

If the vehicle overheats, there should lights on the dash.

How are you going about purging the air from the coolant system?

#14 SFO, Apr 8, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  15. 09Prius2

09Prius2 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The fans came on but not for long. I didn't know about the cell app, I had bought the techstream scanner but never got it to work.

200k all used priuses. Yes lights do come on when it overheats.

I've followed all the bleed procedures on this site as stated.

16. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When did you first notice this overheating problem?

If this vehicle has 200k on it, has the water pump ever been changed?

Have you noticed any weepage around the water pump shaft, or pink snot in that area?

If the fan isn't running continuously after the engine reaches (above) a certain temperature, most likely you have a bad fan or fan switch.

What kind of problems did you have getting your mini-vci cable and techstream working?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  17. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If true, this can only mean that the amount of compressible (gaseous) material inside the system has increased since the last time you had the cap off and corrected the level.

If that was checked for, it may need to be checked again with more care.

-Chap

SFO likes this.
  18. 09Prius2

09Prius2 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Update:

I put in some blue devil just to see what would happen. Sure enough, sludge came pouring out of the radiator.

It filled up the reservoir with sludge which I drained, then drained the radiator which was already empty, then refilled with new coolant.

After the first cool down cycle, there is now a vacuum in the system pulling coolant back in from the reservoir and no more pressure after cooldown.

And the mini vci I had I couldn't get any of the registration key downloads to work.

19. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Glad to hear things are working again.

OBD2 bluetooth adapters cost about $3 and up (with free delivery from china), and will make it easier to monitor various things in real time.

Check your PM for help with the mini-vci cable setup, you will need to get this working to be able to read various DTC/INF's.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  20. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What Blue Devil product did you use exactly? They have a bunch for cooling systems.

-Chap

SFO likes this.